Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Miss Josette

The Regimen works great...

I've been on the Regimen for almost two months and the BP works for my acne, but right now I'm an emotional wreck because I realized that I'm hindering my progress and hurting my skin. Lately, my face has been very, very flakey, and I can't stop myself from peeling the flakes and I'm afraid I'm making my redmarks worse. I just feel like giving up and crawling into a hole somewhere because I can't stop peeling the flakes from my skin, even though I fear I'm making my face look horrible. It's like a sickness. I can't get a hold of myself.

I don't know what to do. I would like to exfoliate to try and rid myself of the flakes and lesson the redmarks so I can appreciate the fact that I don't have hardly any acne left at all...but I didn't want to deviate from the Regimen this early on.

I just feel like no matter what I do, my skin will always look horrible. I've hit rock bottom all of a sudden. I don't know how to handle it anymore. Has anyone else been where am now?

awww, now is not the time to give up, ya just got clear!

What moisturizer are you using? It sound like you could use a little glycolic or lactic acid moisturizer, that usually takes care of the flakes.

Hang in there, we'll try to help you out.

I've been on the Regimen for almost two months and the BP works for my acne, but right now I'm an emotional wreck because I realized that I'm hindering my progress and hurting my skin. Lately, my face has been very, very flakey, and I can't stop myself from peeling the flakes and I'm afraid I'm making my redmarks worse. I just feel like giving up and crawling into a hole somewhere because I can't stop peeling the flakes from my skin, even though I fear I'm making my face look horrible. It's like a sickness. I can't get a hold of myself.

I don't know what to do. I would like to exfoliate to try and rid myself of the flakes and lesson the redmarks so I can appreciate the fact that I don't have hardly any acne left at all...but I didn't want to deviate from the Regimen this early on.

I just feel like no matter what I do, my skin will always look horrible. I've hit rock bottom all of a sudden. I don't know how to handle it anymore. Has anyone else been where am now?

Hi Josette

I'm sorry you are upset.

Most of us regimen guys shave every day, and I must admit if I don't do that I get flakey.

I also use far less than a finger of BP, in fact about a 1/3rd but am still drier than I like.

OK I shouldnt really suggest this as it goes against Dan's advice but I am worried about your distress and you are already irritating your face.

Please read the following thread on exfoliation.

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/index.php?showtopic=69866

In the majority of case it seems to not only gets rid of flakes but fades red marks and help with acne

It needs thorough road testing so be warned.

Brandy- I'm using Complex 15 moisturizer. I quit using the Neutrogena because it made my face bright red. My skin when using this moisturizer doesn't feel dry at all. It's just very very flakey. Huge chunks of white flakes. When I apply a lot of it, it takes care of a large portion of them, but during the day it seems I have to apply moisturizer multiple times. I didn't get a glycolic or lactic acid moisturizer because I was afraid my face would be more red. I've never used anything like those before.

RedSeven - Thanks. I've read that, and I'm skeptical because I'm terrified to deviate from the Regimen. It works for my acne. I'm just at a loss because of the flakes and the redmarks. My skin doesn't seem as dry as it did, even though my skin is flaking. The flakes are making me insane because of the constant urge to pick them, which I know will only worsen my redmarks. I feel so horrible after I've picked them but I just can't stop. I don't kno how to make myself stop. :cry:

Hey you are going to be just fine, I promise. This is a temporary thing and I can tell you have a very strong spirit. I think a lot of us can relate to feeling like we can't stop looking and messing with our faces..I know I've spent a lot of birthdays by myself because I felt like I was too broken out.

I agree with Brandy that you should try a glycolic acid or lactic acid moisturizer, because if that can take care of the flakes (which it should) then you will have solved that problem, and I'm just concerned that exfoliation might cause you even more irritation. If you can use a moisturizer that can get rid of flakes, I guess the only concern would be to find one that your skin isn't sensitive to.

Hang in there sweetie, this is something that won't last forevor, probably not more than a few days one way or another. Thanks for your post, and pls keep us updated on what your status, and let us know if you need product recommendations or anything like that.

luv Jess

Brandy- I'm using Complex 15 moisturizer. I quit using the Neutrogena because it made my face bright red. My skin when using this moisturizer doesn't feel dry at all. It's just very very flakey. Huge chunks of white flakes. When I apply a lot of it, it takes care of a large portion of them, but during the day it seems I have to apply moisturizer multiple times. I didn't get a glycolic or lactic acid moisturizer because I was afraid my face would be more red. I've never used anything like those before.

RedSeven - Thanks. I've read that, and I'm skeptical because I'm terrified to deviate from the Regimen. It works for my acne. I'm just at a loss because of the flakes and the redmarks. My skin doesn't seem as dry as it did, even though my skin is flaking. The flakes are making me insane because of the constant urge to pick them, which I know will only worsen my redmarks. I feel so horrible after I've picked them but I just can't stop. I don't kno how to make myself stop. :cry:

I think going with Brandys advice is better.

I'm just worried that if u r irritatin ur face most of day its better to get it over with a gentle exfoliaition once a day in one hit.

When I cleanse I also get rid of flakes then.

In Dans video he hardly uses his hands when cleansing. I am not afraid to use clean hands to clean my face gently as long they are clean. I gently remove flakes then.

The red marks are highlighted by regimen. The BP 'lights' em up as does a moisturizer. They are ALWAYS there for sometime. Its just off regimen u dont see em cos ur skin is not being treated. There is studies which show BP enhances healing. My take on it is that there is bacterial crap where those red marks are and thats where spots recurr if not treated with BP. So they light up cos they are being treated by BP.

The regimen is 'quickly' healing my very old red marks that were there long before regimen, and Jessfoliation I do now once or twice a week seems to help my non BP areas.

If you are clear you may want to use less BP. Use less noting how much of a finger and if still clear for a week but very flakey, do less again, noting new dose.

I'm so confused. I just don't know what to try. I feel like I have to try something because I can't go on picking my skin like I've been doing and seeing so many redmarks and feel they're worsening as I'm picking. I just end up spending the day hating myself for not having more self control.

I'm not sure I have the strength to just "leave them alone". I could try maybe. Until I get through the third month. Are the flakes something that will subside with time, like redmarks?

What are some glycolic or lactic moisturizers I could try? Preferably with no SPF (which seems to aggravate my skin if used for an extended period of time)?

Thanks to everyone for the continuing help.

I'm so confused. I just don't know what to try. I feel like I have to try something because I can't go on picking my skin like I've been doing and seeing so many redmarks and feel they're worsening as I'm picking. I just end up spending the day hating myself for not having more self control.

I'm not sure I have the strength to just "leave them alone". I could try maybe. Until I get through the third month. Are the flakes something that will subside with time, like redmarks?

What are some glycolic or lactic moisturizers I could try? Preferably with no SPF (which seems to aggravate my skin if used for an extended period of time)?

Picking at your face will make things worse.

When stressed red marks will light up more.

A bit like blushing does.

So what you are seeing in the mirror isnt what you look like when you are cool and relaxed.

The red marks will fade, it just takes time. They are not scars and will not last forever.

okay, i cant believe no one gave you good advise. here is the deal. What products are you using???

I use

NEUTROGENA EXTRA gentle cleanser (this is the ONLY cleanser that doesnt dry out my face)

Dan's BP Gel -- all other prodects are too drying

Eucerin Skin Renewal - This is a MUST, I have very sensitive skin and once i tried neutrogena healthy defense with AHA and that was the biggest mistake ever.

Also, I know people will condemn me for giving this advice, but if your skin is peeling and you are clear i would say to take a day or two (ive done thise) and just use the moisturizer, let your skin heal and take it easy, your body is telling you something and that is that you are using something too drying or too much BP or not the right or enough moisturizer. I had the flake problem tooooo, and i wanted to cry and crawl in a hole as well. I know everyone on here and Dan says to never miss an application but sometimes your skin needs a day or two to recover, then use the Eucerin skin renewal and BP only twice a day, also now that I am almost clear I find that using a little less than a full finger is ok. It really depends on YOU and how YOUR facce reacts to everything you are doing. Be sure to drink alot of water. I have also started exfoliating day and night with an oral B electric toothbush liike jessica said in her post. This has helped my skin smooth out enormously!

Stay in there. Just remember it's ok ti listen to your body and be sure to get the most gentle cleanser you can find and use eucerin skin renewal!

I also forgot to add that I had flakes like you did and I would pick them just like you are.

Once i started eucerin skin renewal moisturizer everything got better. I swear. My skin is sensitive, very very sensitive, i have eczima on my cheeks. THe regiime plus the exfloiating tooth bursh (whch youmight not want to use right now because your skin is irritated) plus EUCERIN SKIN RENEWAL MOISTURIZER, my whole face looks ALOT better.

I'm using the Neutrogena Extra Gentle Cleanser, ProActiv 2.5 BP (which has always worked good on my skin), and the Complex 15 moisturizer. I was using Neutrogena but it made my face too red. I know they're discontinuing the Eucerin, and I never tried it previously because I was afraid the AHA would make me redder. I've never tried anything with that in it before. What's out there to use if not Eucerin? And continued use of anything with SPF in it tends to aggravate my breakouts, so I try to avoid SPF moisturizers. Thankfully, I'm not in the sun enough to worry.

My skin actually doesn't feel irritated. It still has the pinkish tone, but that seems to be slowly fading. It doesn't even feel as dry as it did before. It's like the flakes are a separate thing all together....

Water is all I drink, so I'm covered there.

I have beed using the Neutrogena Healthy defense w/ AHA and it made me peel even more than the BP did but it did stop after two weeks (completely). So just wanted to let you know AHA could possibly make you flaky for a while before it helps. Also it makes me red too which could be due to the fact it has SPF also.

One more thing if you are clear and you make it to the 3 month mark I would seriously consider the "Jessfoliation" method I guarantee it will rid you of your flakes and those red marks will disapear too. Best of luck.

I have beed using the Neutrogena Healthy defense w/ AHA and it made me peel even more than the BP did but it did stop after two weeks (completely). So just wanted to let you know AHA could possibly make you flaky for a while before it helps. Also it makes me red too which could be due to the fact it has SPF also.

One more thing if you are clear and you make it to the 3 month mark I would seriously consider the "Jessfoliation" method I guarantee it will rid you of your flakes and those red marks will disapear too. Best of luck.

I agree - I tried the AHA but gave it up pretty fast - seemed to make things worse. I have also never tolerated SPF. I am also almost to 3 months and my only real issue as of late was flakes. I hesitated to try "jessfoliation" for fear of irritating my skin, but it's been over a week, and I am not breaking out or getting red. I just wash my face with a gentle facial buffing pad, instead of just my hands. ( I could not find anything but a nail brush and that was not getting near my face) I have eliminated about 99% of the flakes though and my skin looks smooth and healthy. It's only been a little while so I cant speak for the long term effect - but if you are out of options and don't want to exfoliate chemically - you may want to try it.

Yeah fena, I have used facial buffing pads in the past and I liked them, but I had to throw them away too often. Now I use a facial sponge and it is doing a great job as well.

h,i, just wanted to know if am too early to use the exfoliating since am on my 2 1/2 weeks, my face is flaky, red marks i do have, but pimples here and there, wich are curing fast. do i try the exfoliating, and can someone please tell me how to. thankx

Thanks for the reply. :)

I don't pick my skin normally....I only do it when I see flakes in the mirror, or can feel my skin flaking. I do notice that if I'm anxious, I pick the flakes more than if I'm not anxious/or am distracted by being out and about, etc..... but if I manage to kill most of the flakes, I have nothing to pick and so I don't pick. I'm trying right now not to pick. It's hard. The best thing I can do is avoid mirrors during the day. I really don't want to change moisturizers because my skin usually rejects 98% of the stuff out there. With the Complex 15 I've found a moisturizer that doesn't seem as reddening as the Neutrogena, nor does it aggravate any existing acne (which has been very little...the BP takes very good care of my acne).

I think my main problem is the flakes, second would be my skin tone. I'm trying very hard to make it to the three month mark before I add in any variables because the BP works like a dream on my acne. My face just in general doesn't look so good because of the flakes and such.

Did anyone's flakes eventually go away once they got 3+ months into the Regimen? I really need to hear some skin tone/flaking results after a few months of being on the Regimen. I've seen pics of people who've been on the Regimen and they have no red/pink tone and aren't flaking. I'm just wishing this would happen to me and wondering if it ever will.....

Flakiness never goes away completely and you will always experience dryness after washing and after bp application. But, the right moisturizer will keep your skin balanced. After moisturizing your skin should appear completely balanced and not flaky. Eucerin Skin Renewal is by far the best. It does have spf tho.

My skin is always flaky. It's like paper pieces falling from my skin. After I wash, after I apply BP, after I apply moisturizer (though it's less flaky, the flakes never disappear). I'm at a loss because I'm afraid to change my misturizer again. Anything with SPF has never worked for me with long term use, and that eliminates probably 95% of my moisturizer choices.

Is there another a good moisturizer without SPF?

My skin is always flaky. It's like paper pieces falling from my skin. After I wash, after I apply BP, after I apply moisturizer (though it's less flaky, the flakes never disappear). I'm at a loss because I'm afraid to change my misturizer again. Anything with SPF has never worked for me with long term use, and that eliminates probably 95% of my moisturizer choices.

Is there another a good moisturizer without SPF?

Just a little note, SPF isn't an ingredient; it is a property of the product. It just says how much protection from sun damage the product can provide your skin.

Some of the ingredients that provide sun protection can clog pores, and others can irritate the skin a bit. If you have acne, the ones to avoid are titanium dioxide and zinc dioxide, as those (and the creams that hold/suspend them) can clog pores, (though they are very good for sensitive skin that isn't prone to acne).

Also, yes, AHAs and BHA will make your skin red, though usually only for a short time. (For examply, my lactic acid+salicylic acid lotion often makes my skin somewhat red for 30-40 minutes. On the other hand, it has made my skin wonderfully smooth, and the redness does disappear before I go outside :D). Be careful if picking an AHA or BHA product, as many are terrible.