Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Clearly Smooth

My Journey To Clear Skin

I am a 30 year old female who has been battling with acne since I was 19 years old. All throughout high school, I received compliments about my skin, and the only thing that I used on my face was Noxema. My acne started once I got pregnant and it has yet to end. I eventually went to a dermatologist who said that it was probably hormonal and hereditary, my mom is 56 and she is still struggling with acne.

The derm prescribed an oral antibiotic and some cream that I had to keep refrigerated. I followed the derms recommendation for about 3 weeks, but my face was WAY too dry for my taste. I then tried Proactiv and LOVED IT, for years. I ran out of the cleanser and started using a SA wash with the system, and it still worked for me. I would get an occasional pimple, but I didn't want ANY pimples, so I tried Murad. A big NO-NO! My face EXPLODED! I used it for almost a month before I stopped. There was no place left on my face for another pimple. I went back to Proactiv, but it never worked the same for me. Since then I have experimented with just about everything under the sun.

I came across this website and I started the regimen right away. I say immediate results, even though I was not following it precisely. Unfortunately, I didn't stick with it for very long.

So, I have decided to give Dan's regimen a go, again. The only thing is, I desperately need to get rid of these dark spots that I have on my face. My acne is not too bad, but the marks that were left from experimenting with Murad are horrible. So since I read that BP and hydroquinone(sp) should not be used together, I will only use BP at night and hydroquinone(sp) in the morning.

Day 1

My face is pretty clear except for one pimple that is almost gone. I guess my acne is considered mild so BP once a day seems to be working for me. There is no change in my brown spots, which I didn't think there would be, since I just started with the fade serum about a week ago.

I think I have found the right combination for me. I have no dryness and no oiliness. Since I stopped using the Neutrogena AHA moisturizer in the morning, my face has not been greasy during the day anymore.

Night 1

Since I ran out of my Proactiv Refining Mask, I bought Queen Helene Mint Julep Masque because I read that it was similar. Well, I used it for the first time yesterday. In my opinion, the masque doesn't even come close to the refining mask. It was too thick, it didn't spread on easily or smoothly, it smelled like toothpaste (mint), and it irritated the hell out of my face. After I rinsed it off, I noticed that my face felt overly dry, tight and raw, my face actually burned as I applied my moisturizer. I hope that the irritation from the mask does not cause any breakouts. I will never use this mask again. :evil:

Day 3

Not much to report today. I have one pimple that showed up yesterday and it is on the way outta here! Using bp only once a day doesn't seem to be affecting my progress.

Day Four

Today I have no pimples to report, just dark spots galore!

I know that I said I wasn't going to use the Mint Masque anymore, but I lied! I decided to give it another chance. I used it yesterday and while it didn't irritate my skin, I don't know if it is beneficial to my regimen. I do know that my pimple is GONE! I can't really credit the mask for that though. It could have to do with my daily exfoliations. But just to be on the safe side, I will continue to use the mask three times a week.

LATER!

Guest pokerbugg

hows doing dan once a day going? ;) j/k hope it all continues good for u! :)

Thanks pokerbugg! :angel: I'm still twicking my regimen. I can understand why Dan says to introduce products one at a time because otherwise, one really doesn't know what is working or what is causing irritation. I woke up this morning to crystal clear skin, but now I have a pimple over my left eyebrow. I can't say if it's the GA toner or the sulfur mask that I have just started using. I think that I need to simplify my regimen.

I washed my face with Neutrogena Acne Wash (2% SA) and used my facial sponge (chemical and manual exfoliation), and moisturized. I now have THREE pimples. One over my eyebrow and two on my chin. One of the two that are on my chin is pretty big.

My pm routine was wash with SA and bp galore. I finished it off with that greasy ass Neutrogena AHA moisturizer. Whatever didn't sink in, I just wiped it off with a clean towel.

I think proactiv BP works better than any other BP out there. Too bad is so expensive. Using the whole kit alone is too much. But, on using the BP is much better. Anyway, that's how I got clear before. Now, I'm just clearing up with accutane.

Yeah, I love Proactiv's bp. I started the regimen using Neutrogena OTS and I HATED IT. I had gotten used to Proactiv's bp and I couldn't believe how drying the OTS was. I am willing to pay the higher price for Proactiv.

I am happy that you have found something that has worked for you!

Guest mishmosh

Doing Dan once a day?

I thought this thread was going to be saucy!

Okay, I am not exactly sure what day I am on, but for the last few days I have sort of taken a step back and tried to come up with a regimen that works for me. I have dropped the GA toner altogether, an unnecessary step for me. I have also nixed the facial sponge (for now at least). But I feel that I must have SA in my regimen.

I have been washing with a SA wash and I must say, my pores have benefited greatly. They are SO much smaller, barely even noticeable. But upon more research, I found out that SA washes are not as effective as a SA lotion or moisturizer.

Even with all of the experimenting that I have been doing on my face lately, I haven't really had any negative results. I had a few pimples that popped up, but they didn't stick around long and they didn't leave any marks.

What I did yesterday was:

AM

wash w/Neutrogena Oil-Free Acne Wash (SA)

applied Neutrogena Healthy Skin moisturizer w/spf 15 (AHA)

PM

wash w/Neutrogena Oil-Free Acne Wash (SA)

applied Neutrogena Healthy Skin Anti-Wrinkle Cream (Retinol)

Edited by shyfreak2

Yesterday morning I:

washed with Neutrogena Oil-Free Acne wash

applied Queen Helene Mint Julep Masque to the one, sort of big pimple

rinsed and waited for maybe 5 minutes

applied Proactiv BP

waited about 10 minutes

applied Neutrogena Healthy Skin AHA moisturizer w/spf 15, because I ran out of Neutrogena Visibly Even moisturizer w/spf 15

Yesterday evening I:

washed with Neutrogena Oil-Free Acne wash

waited about 5 minutes

applied Neutrogena Anti-Wrinkle cream w/retinol

I woke up this morning and my face looks great, except for that one pimple that is now drying up. I think it's going to leave a little scar though. I can not even see my pores on my nose anymore. My nose has never looked this smooth.

I am still trying to decide on a moisturizer. Until I find one, I will use my Healthy Skin one with AHA.

Later!

Okay, so yesterday morning I:

washed with Neutrogena Acne wash

applied bp

applied Neutrogena AHA moisturizer w/spf 15

Last night I:

washed with Neutrogena Acne wash

applied Neutrogena Anti-Wrinkle cream

Later!

Edited by shyfreak2

Guest « Clara »

Doing Dan once a day... hmm... sounds a lil dirty. :razz:

Youre seriousely lucky to only have a few pimples comin up... maybe you can help me

My regimen has died down to this:

Morning

cleanse with soap (not smart I know)

apply 5%bp

moisturize with cetafil (20spf)

Nighttime Same thing

So you mentioned exfoliation... and how It's important. Well, maybe you could ghive me some ideas on what I could use? I'm so tired of not knowing what to do and what I'm missing and what is or isn't working... I'm so tired of having deep red marks and I just wish my face didnt look like a jungle of different skin problems. Gah

Edited by MMarr

MMarr, I can only tell you what is working for me.

In the morning, I wash with Neutrogena Oil-Free Acne Wash and that is my exfoliation. Then I apply 2.5% BP. I am currently using the Proactiv bp because I like it better than Neutrogena On-The-Spot bp and I hadn't tried Dan's bp but I heard it's good. I use Neutrogena Healthy Skin with AHA as my moisturizer. If you chose to use it, be forewarned that it is sort of greasy, but not unbearable. Just today I purchased Neutrogena Ultra Sheer Dry Touch sunblock spf 45 for days when I am out in the sun.

My nighttime regimen is wash with Neutrogena Oil-Free Acne Wash and then apply Neutrogena Anti-Wrinkle cream with retinol. That's it. I don't need to use a nighttime moisturizer. I bought Complex 15 face cream just in case I will need a nighttime moisturizer.

I kid you not, my pores are so small, I can barely see them. My face feels SO smooth. I am very happy with my regimen right now.

After I pop a pimple (bad I know), I apply my ACV toner to that pimple and then I apply Neosporin cream to that pimple. I don't use ACV or Neosporin over my entire face.

I hope that I helped you some. If you have any more questions, feel free to ask.

I was Using Neutrogena Oil-Free Acne wash for a week or so.. but because of the 2% SA and the 5%BP in benzogel my face was extremely flaky arounf my cheeks to the point where people were like "matt, your skin is breaking out in something" which was sort ofembarassing.. I've heard about that exfoliation with a toothbrush thing.. that sounds like something that could potentially work.. is there anything I need to put on the toothbrush before i start exfoliating? i think those are all the questions i've got, i hope i can get through this!!

Sorry to hear about the SA wash and bp drying you out too much. Alot of people have that problem. Fortunately it works for me.

From what I have read on the synthetic brush exfoliation thread, you wet and lather your face with your face wash and then wet the brush. Then you basically brush your face lightly, brushing a small area at a time, using circular motions. You can get more information in the "over the counter medications" thread, under "synthetic brush exfoliation". She includes pictures and everything.

Good luck!

Today I am officially acne free, but who knows what may POP up by the end of the day! I think that I have actually found the regimen that works for me. It is:

AM

2% SA wash (I currently use Neutrogena, but I just bought Biore' pore unclogging scrub)

bp

moisturizer w/AHA

sunblock (I just bought Neutrogena Ultra Sheer Dry-Touch spf 45 and I love it)

PM

2%SA wash

retinol cream

I have been following this regimen for the past few days and the results are unbelievable! My face looks brighter, it's smoother, no pimples as of today, my pores are almost undetectable, especially on my nose.

I am about to add my fade serum to the regimen now that I don't have any pimples. I am going to use Black Opal fade serum with 2% hydroquinone.

*I used the Biore' pore unclogging scrub last night to wash my face. It is creamy but it isn't much of a scrub. It smelled great and was slightly tingly.

Later!

Edited by shyfreak2

I declared victory over my acne too soon. I woke up this morning to two pimples, one on my left cheek and one on my right cheek. Honestly, two small pimples is not that bad, but I would be happier with none.

I used my Biore' SA scrub yesterday morning and last night. I realized that I was using too much though. I also found out that it actually does lather.

I used my Neutrogena sunblock yesterday. I LOVE it! It goes on creamy but drys so matte.

Later!

Yesterday morning I:

washed with Biore' unclogging pore scrub (SA)

applied bp

moisturized with Neutrogena AHA

Last night I:

washed with Biore'

applied retinol cream

I woke up this morning and the pimple on my right cheek is gone. The pimple on my left cheek had come to a head so I popped it.

This morning I washed with Biore', applied bp and moisturized with Complex 15. I am out of Neutrogena AHA moisturizer and I will not be repurchasing. I think it is good for people with issues with dryness. The only time I have had a issue with my face being dry, was when I was using Neutrogena On-The-Spot bp.

I will probably buy some more Neutrogena Visibly Even moisturizer after I use all of the Complex 15. Otherwise, I plan to keep my regimen as is for awhile.

Later!

I haven't been keeping a count of my days, but I think this is day 19.

I am still getting wonderful results with my current regimen. I have no active acne to report. My face is soft, smooth and brighter than it was before I started my new regimen.

Later!