Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MrPink1

the govt and accutane

a month ago told me that prescriptions for accutane were going to be harder to fill now because the derms office and pharmacy were going to have to register with the government and accutane users where going to have to go to some government website and all these new shit. is this a load of crap? anyone on accutane have to do anything different now? or anyone just prescribed hear of this? i dont like this derm.

a month ago told me that prescriptions for accutane were going to be harder to fill now because the derms office and pharmacy were going to have to register with the government and accutane users where going to have to go to some government website and all these new shit. is this a load of crap? anyone on accutane have to do anything different now? or anyone just prescribed hear of this? i dont like this derm.

My derm told me the same thing, but I'm almost finished with my treatment, so it's not affecting me.

where are you where all this BS is going on??? is this a US thing?

I'm in the US, but I don't know if it's only a US thing. Where was I???? What do you mean?

New FDA rules, they go active in November if i recall correctly. It requires a patient/presciber/pharmacy database be set up, and the pharmacy has to doublecheck that there is a negative pregnancy test if you are female. Which is sort of stupid, i read a study that showed that most of the Accutane-exposed pregnancies happened when women sidestepped regulations and got the medication through medical contacts, other countries, or decided to use old medication that they had from a previous course. This won't stop any of that.

when i say where are you i mean are you in the US. I'm a canadian and there isn't NEARLY so much crap about medication here, getting perscriptions is pretty easy and theres next to no paperwork. I still have trouble wrapping my head around why your goverment makes it so hard for you guys to get proper care

Yes, FDA rules = US Food and Drug Administration.

They keep regulating it further because Accutane-exposed pregnancies keep occuring. Although in my opinion these regulations are not going to prevent any more, because they are mainly occuring via human error, or people obtaining the medication in an illegal manner. But they have to look like they are "doing something." I think this is the last step before they completely ban in it the US, and they've said as much. They want zero Accutane-exposed pregnancies.

ugh. thats so dumb. its not like accutane is the only thing that can cause deformities in pregancy..theres about a half dozen meds that do that and i don't see them being regulated. Its also known that most of the antibiotics are secreted in breast milk of nursing mothers.

sigh. Because of the age demographic that accutane targets, thats why theres so much controversy, if it was a medication for those in their later 20's 30's (still childbearing age) i highly doubt there would be the controversy.

The whole teen pregnancy issue is such a matter of poltics right now. Its so sad. They miss the whlole point. ITS A HEALTH ISSUE not a moral one.

FYI, a pregnancy test is part of the monthly bloodwork. The derm does baseline bloodwork, including a pregnancy test BEFORE the patient even starts accutane, then bloodwork is done monthly. All bases are covered, or should have been.

when i say where are you i mean are you in the US. I'm a canadian and there isn't NEARLY so much crap about medication here, getting perscriptions is pretty easy and theres next to no paperwork. I still have trouble wrapping my head around why your goverment makes it so hard for you guys to get proper care

Agreed. It's frustrating.... :-( But I guess I don't have anything really to compare it with, so I never really knew. I just switch doctors if they give me too much trouble.

so this has nothing to do with me since im a guy? time to find a new derm, i dont understand why in the states your acne has to really suck for you to get accutane. it works for me, ive been on it before, is it really heatlhy to use all kinds of antiboitics and put crap on your face that doesnt work? man when i lived in saudi arabia, i just went to the doc and was like i want accutane, and he was like here you go, how much do you want to do? it was awesome.