Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
spizzy

quitting milk

I start accutane in 2 months, my acne is moderate but breakouts are often... and it pisses me off.

I could believe dairy helps break me out so I thought it'd be interesting to quit milk for 2 months and see what happens?

is this unhealthy? I'm only 17... Would 1 glass be alright?

Then I guess I'd have to technically stop eating cheese or salad dressings that contain milk ingredients... (three cheeses)

Thoughts anyone?

Thanks.

Guest james11

Yeah i am lactose intollerent so i don't have anything with lactose in it! I drink soy milk. It's not unhealthy to stop drinking milk. Goats milk is also an option!

I still need to grow... I'm just wondering if you think this is worth doing at all... like... I dunno... I'm just agrivated.

At your age milk is not the important.... but it has some good effects also if you drink it. It helps your bones get stronger not make you taller.

Actually.. I think at every age milk is important.. And at 17.. you probably are still growing.. Milk is loaded with good stuff for you.. and is a good source of calcium.. What I would do is maybe not cut it all out..But just some of it? By the way those calcium suppliments.. I really don't think they are as good as getting it "naturally".. but what you could try is fat free milk?.. or as someone said earlier goats milk

Actually.. I think at every age milk is important.. And at 17.. you probably are still growing.. Milk is loaded with good stuff for you.. and is a good source of calcium.. What I would do is maybe not cut it all out..But just some of it? By the way those calcium suppliments.. I really don't think they are as good as getting it "naturally".. but what you could try is fat free milk?.. or as someone said earlier goats milk

if our milk weren't ultra-pasteurized and full of hormones and antibiotics, then it'd be quite healthy.

too bad it is.

i'm all for getting vitamins and minerals from food rather than pills, but i don't have access to raw, organic milk. so... oh well. there's nothing wrong with taking a good quality calcium supplement. it's generally safer to supplement with minerals (calcium, etc.) than vitamins anyway.

oh and i eat organic kefir sometimes.

Interesting fact.

Humans were never meant to drink milk. In fact, many cultures STILL cannot process milk, and tolerance to milk will decrease in many over time.

Why? we just don't have the enzyme to process the lactose. Not very long ago, Europeans began to utilize dairy products, but only a few hundred years back, not long enough for the human body to fully process. Some people CAN digest milk and it has great health qualities..others not so much.

Not to worry tho, there are TONS of ways to get the calcium. I'm lactose intolerant but am okay with cheese. Also leafy dark green veggies like brocolli and asparagus are rich in calcium.

there are many ways to get the nutrition. Just because you can't drink milk doesn't mean you're weird or can't get the benefits...you're pretty normal actually!

Actually there is evidence now that milk inhibits bone growth, and increases osteoclastic activity contributing to loss in bone desnisty. Milk does contain calicum, however it isn't well absorbed unless magnesium is present, which milk does not contain much of.

Interesting fact.

Humans were never meant to drink milk. In fact, many cultures STILL cannot process milk, and tolerance to milk will decrease in many over time.

Why? we just don't have the enzyme to process the lactose. Not very long ago, Europeans began to utilize dairy products, but only a few hundred years back, not long enough for the human body to fully process. Some people CAN digest milk and it has great health qualities..others not so much.

Not to worry tho, there are TONS of ways to get the calcium. I'm lactose intolerant but am okay with cheese. Also leafy dark green veggies like brocolli and asparagus are rich in calcium.

there are many ways to get the nutrition. Just because you can't drink milk doesn't mean you're weird or can't get the benefits...you're pretty normal actually!

It's true that most of the world's population lacks lactase in adulthood, and can't digest milk. It depends on your ethnicity and race. I'm Caucasian and I have no problem digesting milk, I just make sure that I drink organic, hormone free, low fat milk. It doesn't effect my acne at all. About 80% of Caucasians can digest milk as adults. 50% of Asians can and only about 10% of Africans can.

If you have problems digesting milk (gas, belly ache, even heartburn)....just don't, drink soy, rice or nut (almond, coconut) milks instead. Cultured milks like kefir and yogurt should be ok, since the lactose is already broken down into lactic acid (hence the sour flavor).

I'm also 17 and I'm lactose intollerent, I don't drink or eat any cow dairy. I also don't eat/drink goat dairy but that just because I can't fine any thats organic. I think that you'll be just fine if you stop drinking milk. Give it a go it wont heart to try it :D I use to drink it all the time, I would get bad headackes from it (I guess cuz' I was lactose intollerent) any way I had BAD acne on my back when I stoped eating it my back got 100% clear!

well to be more specific, we were meant to drink our mother's breast milk until the age (max) of 2 years as thats the only way to obtain the antibodies until our immune systems develop full resistance! after that..notta.

Actually.. I think at every age milk is important.. And at 17.. you probably are still growing.. Milk is loaded with good stuff for you.. and is a good source of calcium.. What I would do is maybe not cut it all out..But just some of it?

I think your advice is reasonable and sound.

By the way those calcium suppliments.. I really don't think they are as good as getting it "naturally".. but what you could try is fat free milk?

The famous biochemist Dr. Roger Williams recommended whole milk over low-fat or skim. He pointed out that the butterfat in milk (not surprisingly, I might add) enhances the absorption of calcium, whereas the typical kinds of polyunsaturated fats found in vegetable oils suppress it. In other words, the overall "design" of milk seems to favor and encourage calcium absorption, including the good calcium/phosphorous balance, the presence of lactose and butterfat, and possibly the specific kinds of proteins found in milk.

The only BAD thing about milk, as someone else in this thread mentioned, is that it appears not to have enough magnesium to balance the calcium. If you drink milk, I suggest taking a good magnesium supplement with it. Well, hell...for that matter, I recommend a good magnesium supplement for EVERYBODY, not just people who drink milk! ;)

Bryan

I quit milk for my breakouts and i just drink soy milk and take supplements. Let me tell you my face is clear now. My breakouts were MILK RELATED. and you will be just fine, just try it out for 2 months. drink soy milk twice a day and take supplements. You will alteast be able to find out if dairy milk is the cause for your acne.

Humans were never meant to drink milk.

Wow. You learn something new very day! :D

Bryan

:clap:

I love the people who state something with such certainty....like they really know what they're talking about....it's not that black and white.....

Some people have problems with milk....some don't....

Bryan

Please tell me your joking; both of you.

First, saying humans were never meant to drink milk is the same as saying they were never meant to eat meat - its asinine.

Second, never believe anything you read on these forums.

Bryan

First, saying humans were never meant to drink milk is the same as saying they were never meant to eat meat - its asinine.

Second, never believe anything you read on these forums.

Don't you know we're all experts on everything.....

Yes, some here will argue that we're not meant to eat meat either, yet our ancestors did, and we have still have canine teeth in our mouths that are meant for tearing meat (mine are sharp and pointy as hell too).

While I'm at it, we shouldn't eat eggs, either....I don't remember why though

Oh and grains are bad too....

And nightshade veggies.....

And some fruits are bad too, since they have sugar....

The list goes on and on....

I don't think everything that appears on this board should be taken to heart. If you listen to everything you'll die of starvation. I believe in eating a healthy, balanced diet. I try to eat organic stuff when I can find it (and afford it), not because it will "cure" my acne, but it's just better for health in general.

A while back I did quit milk, for about 2 months....it made no difference whatsoever, plus it was the only thing I could chase the flax oil with that didn't make me gag.....I reintroduced it with no problems....the flax oil helped though, my skin isn't as dry, and tolerates the acne meds much better....

Bryan

WHAT?? You actually thought there was a possibility that I was SERIOUS when I said that? You can't tell bitter sarcasm when you see it?? :D

That statement about how "humans were never meant to drink milk" is perilously close to what I've spent a great deal of energy attacking in this forum; namely, the general idea that "milk is only for baby calves", or however the hell it's usually stated here. That has got to be the STUPIDEST claim that's made here on a fairly regular basis, and one which I won't hesitate to ridicule whenever I see it.

Bryan

Bryan

WHAT?? You actually thought there was a possibility that I was SERIOUS when I said that? You can't tell bitter sarcasm when you see it?? :D

That statement about how "humans were never meant to drink milk" is perilously close to what I've spent a great deal of energy attacking in this forum; namely, the general idea that "milk is only for baby calves", or however the hell it's usually stated here. That has got to be the STUPIDEST claim that's made here on a fairly regular basis, and one which I won't hesitate to ridicule whenever I see it.

Bryan

once again Bryan....

:clap:

Bryan...perhaps you misunderstood. I'm not saying that humans should not drink milk. I'm saying that originally developmentally they were not metabolically capable of doing so, it is a new occurance culturally and so there is a great deal of INTOLLERANCE as such a diet adjustment has not occured in a large portion of the population.

have you done ANY research?

http://www.answers.com/topic/lactose-intolerance-1 thats for starters and its peer reviewed by doctors.

WHERE'S YOUR PROOF?????

oh and by the way labgirl and Bryan...thanks for NOT READING or maybe you'd have caught this:

well to be more specific, we were meant to drink our mother's breast milk until the age (max) of 2 years as thats the only way to obtain the antibodies until our immune systems develop full resistance! after that..notta.

way to take it out of context Bryan..what are you a policitian? nice way to warp my wording through selectively reading what you want to get out of it to flame someone online.

oh and by the way labgirl and Bryan...thanks for NOT READING or maybe you'd have caught this:

way to take it out of context Bryan..what are you a policitian? nice way to warp my wording through selectively reading what you want to get out of it to flame someone online.

I did read that. I agree with it to a certain extent. Certain races and cultures of people do loose their ability to produce the enzyme lactase past early childhood. Those people should not drink milk, organic or not. I'm not denying that some people have problems with milk. Only 20% of Caucasians are lactose intelorant. I am not one. It's true that some people have allergies to cow's milk. Those people shouldn't drink milk. Again, I am not one.

Quitting milk did nothing for me. I'm not saying it shouldn't be tried. If it works for someone that's great. I just don't like when people state things with absolute certainty without explaining themselves.

Consumption of animal milk is not a new occurance. There is evidance of humans comsuming milk from domesticated animals (cows, sheep, goats, camels...ect) used for milk production up to 8000 years ago, decendants of these cultures most likely have little difficulty digesting milk now.