Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I just happened upon this site, and became very interested.

My son right now is on Differin, doxycline. He was using luberderm as amostierizer but his face was buring and so red.

I feel so bad for him, he is broken out really bad. Reading this site, I realized what he needs. He needs a good antibactiral cleanser and most likely the b/p sounds like it might work for him too.

Also a good mositerizer. I'm really hoping this works for him, I think he is becoming very depressed, he doesn't want to go to school, and I don't know if this is the reason and he is graduating this year. Dr. said if this med didn't work to go to dermatologist, but I really don't want him on the accutane to many side affects, plus he is already depressed and this can cause some depression right?

So am thinking of going ahead and getting him the Cetaphil Antibactorial bar (or Purpose?), the b/p gel and the Neutragena Oil Free Moist. SPF 15. I'm so hoping this works for him.

Does this sound like the right kind of regimen? Am I getting this right, just want to make sure.

Thanks for any help you guys can offer.

Bette

sounds perfect, from what people have said go the purpose over the cetaphil and Id start out on a non-spf moisturiser as some people have problems with the neutrogena.

Guest james11

That Differin will be what's making his face red raw! I think you should start him on the regimen, however book him into a Derm. They do have other means of clearing Acne beside Accutane and i thinks it's a more solid attack on Acne. That way if the next thing doesn't work, you're not back on here feeling hopeless.

If the Derm does just throw Accutane at you, you are probably best to find another. Someone who is more hands on and is willing to figure out a plan suited to your request of no Accutane.

I think it's great that you are doing this for your son. Acne can be pretty tough, and it's alot tougher when youhave to search for these things alone.

I just happened upon this site, and became very interested.

My son right now is on Differin, doxycline. He was using luberderm as amostierizer but his face was buring and so red.

I feel so bad for him, he is broken out really bad. Reading this site, I realized what he needs. He needs a good antibactiral cleanser and most likely the b/p sounds like it might work for him too.

Also a good mositerizer. I'm really hoping this works for him, I think he is becoming very depressed, he doesn't want to go to school, and I don't know if this is the reason and he is graduating this year. Dr. said if this med didn't work to go to dermatologist, but I really don't want him on the accutane to many side affects, plus he is already depressed and this can cause some depression right?

So am thinking of going ahead and getting him the Cetaphil Antibactorial bar (or Purpose?), the b/p gel and the Neutragena Oil Free Moist. SPF 15. I'm so hoping this works for him.

Does this sound like the right kind of regimen? Am I getting this right, just want to make sure.

Thanks for any help you guys can offer.

Bette

I truly hope the regimen works for your son.

I strongly relate to what you said about his possible depression caused by acne. I felt the same way this past year (which was my graduating year).

Im one month into the regimen and things are a lot better. Im not 100% clear, but i believe i will be by the 3 month mark.

I also think that your son should carefully read through this site himself. The first few weeks can be very tough, so you have to really understand the regimen to keep hope and follow the steps precisely.

So again, best of luck for your son :D

Thank you all very much for writing.

I went to the drug store last night and got the Purpose Soap, the Nutragena Mosit. with the SPF 15 and the spot on. I told him all about this site and what I had read. I told him about how the wash, then wait 10 mins. then do the spot on, then wait 10 mins. then the moist.

but his face was still really red last night so I told him to skip the b/p for now, and just wash and moist., but he told me the moist. was burning his face. Can this be from the SPF???

I thought it would be good for him to wait until the redness went away like a day or two, does that sound right?

He had pictures today too, for his yearbook and graduation. Poor thing :(

thanks again.

bette

Ur an amazing mom....not much parents nowadays care for thier child's acne problem that they'll go around website searchig :D ur a wonder mom that's all i can say. I'm glad and happy for ur child

Hi Bette,

so glad you came to this site.

I think your plan sounds fantastic. Print out the checklist for your son to keep in the bathroom, or his room, so he is sure to do the Regimen right and use the correct amount of bp. The generous amount of bp is what is going to clear him up.

I absolutely love Purpose bar, so I am pleased you chose that one, and the Neutrogena on-the-spot has worked very well for me too. As for moisturizers, for some reason the Neutrogena oil-free and Neutrogena sensitive skin moisturizers do sting and turn some people red (me included ) so you might want to get him the Cetaphil moisturizer, it seems very well tolerated and I can't recall anyone complaining that the cetaphil stung.

You might also consider having your son visit the forums himself, there's lots of support here and sometimes it helps so much just meeting other people who are going through the same thing you are.

Good luck and post back anytime.

Ur an amazing mom....not much parents nowadays care for thier child's acne problem that they'll go around website searchig :D ur a wonder mom that's all i can say. I'm glad and happy for ur child

I agree. When i first started having acne..my parents were as ignorant as i was...didnt have a clue what to do. They kept saying its the age. But it just got worse. I wish my parents were like you then...it would have saved me so many years of my life that acne stole. I really hope the regimen works for your son. Just keep encouraging him and make him stick to it. I'll bet what he needs most would be your support.

bar soaps always dried me out immensely, but i just looked at the supplies list and dan reccomends bar soaps to men, so who knows. if his skin gets irritated and dry you can always switch over. i suggest cetaphil because its a very thick and moisutrizing cleanser..you can use it with or without water. (though i always used it with water i cant imagine without)

and definitly order the BP from this website! it's so much cheaper and such a better quality.

bar soaps always dried me out immensely, but i just looked at the supplies list and dan reccomends bar soaps to men, so who knows. if his skin gets irritated and dry you can always switch over. i suggest cetaphil because its a very thick and moisutrizing cleanser..you can use it with or without water. (though i always used it with water i cant imagine without)

and definitly order the BP from this website! it's so much cheaper and such a better quality.

i agree bar soaps are annoying....and drying...since ur son is new to this regimen, u wouldn't want his skin to be like a reptile now won't u.....better get neutrogena extra gentle cleanser :D

You might want to start slow with the BP and then gradually ramp it up to the large amount Dan recommends so as to avoid excessive irritation/redness. Most people will probably experience SOME of that when they start out with BP...the key is to tough it out, unless, of course, it's a serious allergic reaction.

I use Cetaphil Gentle Clensing Bar, Neutrogena Moisterizer Oil-free for sensitive skin and Neutrogena Moisterizer Oil-free SPF 15+.

Benzac 2.5% (I apply once daily at night)

I haven't tried much else and have managed to stay acne-free, my skin looks great and regulary get compliments on it. Good luck! Something I feel worth mentioning, is the supplementation of Flaxseed Oil daily, the stuff is amazing.

I use the Purpose bar soap and it is not drying to me. I have used several different bar soaps, and the Purpose bar is the best. I have read alot of people use Complex 15 moisturizer. I don't personally use it but reviews for it have been great! Good luck!

I agree with Brandy about the Cetaphil moisturizer to start off with. Maybe no SPF just yet. Let him get a little used to the BP first. (the spf tends to sting a bit).

Cetaphil gentle skin cleanser (the liquid) is a great option if he sees he's getting too dry with the Purpose bar.

I'm praying for him :pray: Tell him to stick with it and be very patient, start slowly, then use more and more BP as he gets used to it....until he's using loads of it! lol Soon enough, he'll start getting clearer and clearer. :)

I went to the drug store last night and got the Purpose Soap, the Nutragena Mosit. with the SPF 15 and the spot on. I told him all about this site and what I had read. I told him about how the wash, then wait 10 mins. then do the spot on, then wait 10 mins. then the moist.

but his face was still really red last night so I told him to skip the b/p for now, and just wash and moist., but he told me the moist. was burning his face. Can this be from the SPF???

I thought it would be good for him to wait until the redness went away like a day or two, does that sound right?

thanks again.

bette

It could be from the SPF -- I'm quite sensitive to SPF in some products and experience the same burning. You might want to find another facial moisturizer for night time since there's little point to an SPF then.

However, he should not be using a body lotion (lubriderm) on his face. I've done this before when I found brands which said they were gentle enought to be used on the face or were non-comedogenic (I have used Lubriderm on my face among many others) and everytime was a big mistake. I don't know exactly why, but I always ended up with more zits, sometimes lots more.

I would recommend that you stop with anything that burns his skin for a little while (just long enough to get his skin de-irritated, maybe a few days to a week) and just use a gentle soap or water and try another moisturizer spec for sensitive skin (Eucerin extra protective or Dove sensitive skin) just to get him to a point where his skin isnt super irritated, bc irritation can also lead to acne. After that, gradually re-introduce anti-acne products. Also, purpose is too drying for my skin, so in case he doesn't like the Purpose, feel free to try something else bc it just needs to be something gentle that doesn't irritate.

Differin did nothing for me, so don't think that you're at the end of the road just bc one Rx doesn't work. There are lots of other things out there that aren't Accutane. Lots of ppl have had success with Benzaclin so if you still want to try a Rx that might be a good direction, and Azelex is also useful for acne and fades marks.

Good Luck! And congrats for doing so much good work to help your son! *my mother remains convinced that a bar of dial will clear acne, and made me use it for years with no luck* Best Wishes!

thanks again.

bette

Hi Bette,

First things first, how old is your son? The reason I ask is generally younger skin is more sensitive and so extreme care should be addressed whn applying the BP gel. I'm a 23 year old male and have suffered acne since I was about 17 now. I've tried plenty of antibiotics and I STRONGLY advise AGAINST them for your son. At the best of times they just make you feel sick, the worst they aggravate your skin condition whilst also having a negative effect on your immune and digestive system overall. My advice is as follows:

1. Get him onto the Regimen with the 2.5% BP gel asap - don't use a stronger one - too irritating.
  2. Only use a BOTTLED or SEALED Cleanser - soaps are not recommended as bacteria become extremely prominent on the soap after 3 days of use (even if it's 'cleaned' regularly) and this will be transferred to the face again when washing
  3. As harsh as it may be, consider Accutane. It works wonders for 99% of people with common, mild side-effects and it does put it into 'remission' remarkably well.
  4. Last point, but am sure you already know this. Talk to your son and support him in every way possible. I've thought of suicide because of my condition many times and it's only my excellent and supportive, loving and faultless mother that keeps me here at times. Unconditional love means everything to everyone.

I wish you and your son the very best of luck. Feel free to email me at [email protected] if you want to chat via email or have any questions.

All the best

Greg

UWSAA (UNITED WE STAND AGAINST ACNE) :angel: