Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hey people, i was wondering if anybody else has this problem. It seems that even if i rinse my face with water my face still dries up and i get flakes everywhere. Of course it lasts only about an hour or two, then my face gets very oily (damn combination skin!) I exfoliate every night with baking soda and I'll sometimes use natures cure bp, but even if i don't use it for weeks, my skin stiiillll flakes and dries up. Any advice on how I can stop this if in fact it can be STOPPED!? :think:

Have you tried using a moisturizer? You should always use a daily moisturizer even though you might think that it will cause oiliness. If your skin is too dry, it will product more oils to keep it hydrated.

Have you tried using a moisturizer? You should always use a daily moisturizer even though you might think that it will cause oiliness. If your skin is too dry, it will product more oils to keep it hydrated.

I agree 100%.

I use moisturizer in crucial situations, like if i have to be somewhere within an hour of washing, meaning the flakes are still showing and i need to cover em up. but my face doesn't get as oily throughout the day when i only wash (with gentle soap, ie Dove Sensitive Skin bar) and leave out the moisturizer. So I really only get dry and flaky right after washing, then a couple of hours later my natural oils kick in and takes care of it. I'm guessing that when i only use water and no exfoliant that it's dead skin cells that aren't shedding correctly and not dry skin......so i use baking soda to exfoliate, it seems to be the most gentle. Buuuttt so far, all the exfoliants i use dry me up...atleast for the first couple of hours. After those initial hours, it's all good. It's just annoying to have to either wait to do anything or have to use moisturizer and later on have oili-ER skin. :wall:

You should try B5 hydrating gel by skinceuticals.. It hydrates with hyaluronic acid (naturally found in skin) rather than oil so you won't get oily or break out from it.

I would stay stop washing your face with soap, because that stuff made my skin even oilier than it already was (before I was on tane). I would use a gentle cleanser, thats not cetaphil (because I think that stuff sucks). Try not using dove soap for a week and you'll see that your skin is more balanced and doesn't go for the extremy dry to extreme oily.

hmmmm...so just use warm water? it seems that when i tried this before it helped keep my face well balanced (well, as balanced as it can be). the only problem was that i wasn't exfoliating....no, i take that back, i was exfoliating in a sense. I would wash with warm water, then use my index finger to gently rub away dead skin cells. It seemed to do the trick, but i heard it wasn't good to rub em off. So i might try to exfoliate with a gentle face brush...although i don't really see how that's any different.

You need less exfoliating and more hydrating. Seriously, if you exfoliate too much it can cause more flakes because you are rubbing off all of your natural oils. You need to hydrate your skin! I used to use the B5 hydrater before I started the BP regimen, but needed something thicker and more moisturizing. The moisturizer I use is $90 a bottle, but its worth every penny!

Guest tenshigirl25

the first thing u need to do is stop exfoliating every night with baking soda. that will ruin your skin, once a week or 2 times is enough. your wrecking the PH balance of your skin. u need to just cleanse and pat moisturiser into your face. baking soda is drying your face out.

my face gets dry no matter what i do. i guess i'll just have to live with that. but it is much better when i don't use anything, just warm water, MAYBE a gentle cleanser. But i've got to exfoliate, the dead skin won't fall off on it's own. soooo, i've started a new experiment: warm water, electric toothbrush to exfoliate.....see what happens.

Guest tenshigirl25

there are 2 exfoliaters ive used that worked really well..the first was clarins gentle peeling and dermalogica's microfoliant. they are both gentle and do a good job. after this, i put on a mositurising mask by Avene. leave that on a hour and the wipe off u have baby smooth skin. also aloe vera helps with flaking and hot water makes your face peel even more. and a great thing i use whn i was really peeling was a peel-off mask, the 1 i used was by Juicy..grapefruit peel off mask. it sticks to your face and then my skin was really smooth afterwards..might try that again myself. having a steam facial and then patting in moisturiser afterwards can lock in the moisture better. u will see that by stopping with baking soda, your skin wont be so dry & scaly.

hmmm...thanks for the info. so how often do you have to wear the mask? you say you leave it on for an hour..that's a long time. do you recommend any brand of aloe? i used to do a facial steamer about 3 times a week. maybe i should go back to that. it's just hard to find the right combinations.

Guest tenshigirl25

u can wear the mask in less time, but it really wakes your face up. i noticed the longer the better. its avene so its gentle. aloe vera, it could be from the plant or 100% stuff from the healthfood store..probably the store brand is better. i facial steam every now and then..if u put your moisturising mask in the fridge and put it on after a steam it feels really good..do u take vitamin e? that could help.