Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Alexandra8

My experience under the knife

Ok, well 8 months ago, I had a cyst excised. I think excision is the correct term?

Basically the surgeon removed the cyst, cauterized the wound and stitched it closed.

After 6 months, and some random comments from friends, I decided it did not heal properly.. DUH (in retrospect). And, the same surgeon removed the scar tissue and re-sutured it.

It looks a little better.. but after 2 months the redness is still there. Plus, it's slightly indented.. and it's not the same texture as the rest of my skin.

What should I do to fix it up? Laser? I think after reading the posts that subcision would be my best bet.

Also advice:

DO NOT GET EXCISION unless it's your last resort! The scar (as in my pic) will be worse than the cyst itself!

I am surprised that is what the original scar looked like after 6 months. It does look better now and may look a bit better a couple of months down the road. Would you mind letting us know the name of the doctor who did this procedure? Did he do the revision for free?

I agree with Pete, you might want to do a filler but you should probably wait another 2-4 months to see what the revised scar looks like first cause it is probably still healing and you don't want some odd shape resulting from filling too early. A more competent surgeon should be able to improve that significantly.

Why do you think that happened, did the stitches open up?

Ive had a somewhat similar scar and had good success with saline treatments, if you are near CA you can look into it.

Sure, the surgeon was Dr. Jack Cohen. It was 100% free, I'm in Canada so I guess that's why.

I don't think going back to him a 3rd time will help anything.

Arent' fillers only temporary?

Janya, it happened because it "opened up" and that happened for who KNOWS what reason. Maybe the stitches were taken out too early etc..

Also are saline treatments permenant? Thanks.

It was free because non-cosmetic healthcare is free. It was a cyst, and medically speaking, it had to be removed it wasn't cosmetic. Anyway, here is how it looks with make-up.

I don't know, my options are:

1- subcision/needling

2-get it re-excised (for a 3rd time)

3- laser?

post-22984-1130254588_thumb.jpg

post-22984-1130254588_thumb.jpg

It was free because non-cosmetic healthcare is free. It was a cyst, and medically speaking, it had to be removed it wasn't cosmetic. Anyway, here is how it looks with make-up.

1- subcision/needling

3- laser?

I'm sorry to see that you had poor healing in your excision. Hmm.. you should probably avoid getting excisions done. Lasers won't work. Best bet would be subcision/needling... but for a scar like that.. hmm. Maybe you should consider fillers? Seeing that your scar is not very big, it should be relatively inexpensive to get it filled in.

You can try needling or re-excision, but lasers and subcision are worthless in my opinion.

Read my post on saline treatments, they are supposed to induce collagen production. But its hard if you are in Canada, the only doctor that performs this is in CA.

I think a filler might work well for your scar.

Not all fillers are temporary. A very prominent fat graft doctor is in Toronto.

http://www.drborn.ca/location_address.html

In my opinion fat transfer would be the safest permeant filler.

Check out my link bellow on fat graft, it contains a lot of info and pictures of f/g to acne scars.

Hmm, I am seriously considering gettting excision done on my chicken pox scars but those pictures are making me a bit nervous. I thought that an excision would leave a much smaller scar. It looks as though your wound reopened as it was healing, I guess since it is pretty long. How big was the cyst originaly, and how long is the scar now? Also did you take good care of the scar while it was healing(vitamin e, copper peptides etc)?

BTW I also think that you should ditch that doc and try the excision with a more experienced plastic surgeon.

I don't understand why the cyst had to be removed in the first place. It looks like the cyst could've gone away by itself or would've have left a less worse scar than the scar the excision left.

Ughh.. medical professionals :doh:

Yes, listen to MeetPete. Go find a doctor who actually knows what they're doing.

1- subcision/needling

3- laser?

Actually, babe, if that's how you look under make up, I implore you to check out a filler first (probably something quite temporary, like collagen or some of the hyaluronic gels). The rest of your skin is lovely, and if you can get that small divet raised, I think it'll be virtually undetectable underneath makeup.

If you find that's the case, then you could look into a more permanent filler. Just my thoughts.

--goldrex

I can't imagine the Doc not trying a cortisone shot. I had a small lump under my skin next to my ear and one shot of cortisone made it surface and clear. I currently have a small cyst luckily not on my face and am looking for a way to get rid of it. I think I may try some draw out salve since I havn't let the skin heal over yet. I think possibly dermabrasion is an option for this scar to blend it with the surrounding skin and then possibly a filler. I had my cheeks dermabraded and some shallow scars were completely eliminated. It is possible to get another excision before the dermabrasion so the scar is smaller or more flat.

Get it re-excised and try to forget about it. Does not look bad under makeup. Why woul;d your friends mention it, thats shitty. I have NEVER had anyone mention my acne or scars and I hang with some pretty uncultured people. Doesnt look bad at all even if you dont do anything else.

Your from Canada just say it came from a hockey fight lol. Seriously I'm sure it will get better with another doc.

Peace

Keith,

I absolutely can't stand hockey. That's the LAST thing I'd ever say. I'd rather say I had a cyst than say I was in some rowdy hockey fight lol! But, thanks.. true.. it's not as bad as it was before.. but still it's there..

So, I guess I didn't mention that I DID get a cortisone shot (maybe 2 it was a while ago). It did not respond ... and I know why. I never had cystic acne. This cyst came from having a small breakout... and i picked at it and it got infected. So, it wasnt' like a real cyst that could be removed from cortisone I guess. So, that is the WHOLE reason it had to be removed. Because I picked at it and it got infected.. and that is probably why the excision didn't go so well... because my tampering with it made the skin damaged. I honestly had a huge red patch on my skin.. I guess I should have left it alone huh?

Meet Pete,

Because, for like a year, I had this cyst, and I was tampering with it.. I think I damanged the skin underneith it.. and this is why it's not healing properly. Do you think it's really the doctor? And.. are permenant fillers really permenant and safe?

I want to ditch this doc sooo badly.. but you know how it is.. any good derm (and you CANNOT bribe them I tried!) will not accept you for a consultation without at least a one year wating period. I already waited 8 months for this derm.. And, this derm was I swear to you 80 years old. I was like "waht the.. how can you be practicing at your age?"

:doh:

Thanks Meet Pete.

I definitely agree that this is what I need. My body cannot naturally fix this (via needling or subcision) I think I need something external to be added to fill it in.

I would love to have this scar gone. Eventhough.. my boyfriend doesn't even care about it! I was all self-conscious for nothing. I asked him the other day if he thought there was anything weird about my face. He responded "umm looks fine to me.. and if there was anything wrong, guys don't notice that stuff anyway"

That was sweet of him.

Thanks again Pete, I'm gonna see where I can get this done.

Hi Alexandra!!

I also live in Toronto and I know the derm you're talkin about. Apparantly she is one of the best. Why don't you like her? When I saw her, she was a sweet wise old lady.

Hi Alexandra!!

I also live in Toronto and I know the derm you're talkin about. Apparantly she is one of the best. Why don't you like her? When I saw her, she was a sweet wise old lady.

she doesnt like her cause she fucked up the excision. I wouldnt like someone either that did that.

Because, for like a year, I had this cyst, and I was tampering with it.. I think I damanged the skin underneith it.. and this is why it's not healing properly. Do you think it's really the doctor? And.. are permenant fillers really permenant and safe?

Wait.. so you had this cyst for a year?? I didn't know cysts could last that long. :confused: