Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Spezza

5 months to the rest of my life.

Today I resolved myself to phone the derm and make an early appointment. For months now I have been thinking about what I would say to him, what reasons and excuses I would plead to be placed on Accutane. Today I phoned, tomorrow is my appointment. Tomorrow, I will go to the doctor's and plead my case. I have 3 principal arguments why I believe Accutane is right for me.

First, I'm 24, my acne is not going to suddenly disappear. While it is true that the anti-biotics and topics have been very effective in controlling my condition, they are not perfect. I do not want to be on anti-biotics for the rest of my life, or even the next few years. More importantly, I do not want to be confined by the regime which using topics and drugs requires. Second, at the end of February I will lose prescription drug coverage. Currently my coverage through my father is 100%! Therefore, if I begin my course now, I can have basically the entire thing paid for. Otherwise, if in a year Accutane is prescribed I will be on the hook for the entire bill. Third, is completely psychological. Acne has plagued me for nearly a decade now. For the past few years it has affected me socially. Now, I'm in my last year of university and looking at my peers I realize, I'm nearly the only one left with acne. (oh, and fourthly, I'm beginning to scar.)

That said, tomorrow is my day of reckoning. I was not supposed to have another appointment until late December, but I could not postpone this any longer. Either way, tomorrow I shall know my fate. If the doctor doesn't agree with my assessment, well, I'll go to my family doctor. If he says no, I'll just order it off the internet, pay the money, and risk it. (I thought about threatening this course of action if the doc says no, but I figured that wouldn't go over well.) So, either way, tomorrow begins my Accutane journey; the only thing to be determined now is if it'll take the easy path or not. As Ceasar once said about something much more important the die is cast.

(I'd post a picture for ya'all, but you'd just flame me, telling me I have clear skin and don't need Accutane. It is true, my skin is rather clear, but I'm on meds. I determined to post regularly. And who knows, maybe you'll get a vanity picture every so often, just to keep you interested.)

I do hope the best for ya but sometimes even accutane doesnt cut it forever......I know ten years is a long time, but theres many of us fighting it even longer, and maybe it takes time every day to go through the regimen or whatever you do that works for you, but its a price we're willing to pay for clear (er) skin....If you have a doc to prescribe it, and monitor you, go for it, but if not, don't self administer, please. Your acne is temporary, but your liver is one and permanent, and once you fuck that up, its gone forever. You'll sit in dialysis for 3 hours a day, 3 times aweek, cause your body can't relieve on its own anymore. Not a fair trade off at all. Please just don't go there.

I do hope the best for ya but sometimes even accutane doesnt cut it forever......I know ten years is a long time, but theres many of us fighting it even longer, and maybe it takes time every day to go through the regimen or whatever you do that works for you, but its a price we're willing to pay for clear (er) skin....If you have a doc to prescribe it, and monitor you, go for it, but if not, don't self administer, please. Your acne is temporary, but your liver is one and permanent, and once you fuck that up, its gone forever. You'll sit in dialysis for 3 hours a day, 3 times aweek, cause your body can't relieve on its own anymore. Not a fair trade off at all. Please just don't go there.

the liver renews itself every 6 months. and people with KIDNEY problems do on dialysis, not liver problems.

Spezza: good luck with your derm appointment! i was on tane 2 times for mild acne and very oily skin. i just finished my 2nd course about a month ago and my skin looks good. my confidence is up as well.

best wishes!

~Amy

Glorious!!

My plea was successful! I am ecstatic, obviously. When I first mentioned it, he began listing off reasons why I wasn't a candidate - not deep acne, not enough acne, not scarred enough. Then he mentioned that if I went to a fancy doc in Toronto - one who didn't follow the regular guidelines - I would probably get a prescription. From there he went into deep thought, asked how long I've been seeing him (just over a year), my weight (I fibbed and put a couple pounds on), and then agreed to put me on a low dose course of Accutane. I'm going for the blood tests this evening (or tomorrow morning) and hopefully will get the course started by the end of the week. It looks like I'm on 40mg/day, five times a week. Hopefully, when I see him again in a month the doseage will be increased.

So begins my jounrey. Hope you enjoy the ride.

shineygal thank you for your words of encouragement! I hope your second course will be the cure I'm hoping my first course will be.

What drugs did you try before accutane?

I had been on Mino from Sept 04 till June 05. From July till early Sept 05 I only used topicals (Metrogel and Differen) as well as 10% BP. In mid-Sept I began breaking out again. The doc prescribed Mino again, which helped, but I am tired of fighting with acne and limiting my schedule because I have a regimem to follow. The reality is that I am nearly 25 and still have acne. Anti-biotics can only help mask the problem, Accutane can solve it (hopefully, fingers crossed).

Since I am posting already.... blood test was done this morning. Oh man, I dislike needles. Regardless, it was for a good cause; and I might as well get used to it as it is going to happen monthly. Tomorrow, when the results come in, I get the go ahead to pop the first pill. I have consciously avoided filling the Accutane proscription yet as I know I will not be able to resist starting if I have them in my possession. Anyway, enough distractions, I have a 12 page paper to write about Evangelical Christianity and its influence upon popular culture in America - distrubing stuff.

Giddyup! I just gluped down my first pill. My stomach feels kinda sore.... well it does! Honestly, all the internet and acne.org hype surrounding Accutane has made this process far worse than it need be.

This afternoon I phoned the derm and got the all clear on my blood work. Those results had me worried. Although I have been healthy in the past few months, in the months prior to that I was a heavy drinker (only quit because I positively correlated drinking with acne). Even now I still indulge in nightly cannabis consumption. I'll let people know if that indulgance has to be curbed at all. Anyway, I made my father go fill my prescription today. I just didn't want to have talk to the pharmacist about it. A good thing too, because my father ended up talking to the guy for like a half hour! Dad brought home a moisturizure which was recommended, I'll try it out and let you know.

I'm terribly excited about this entire thing. Finally, after long wait, I'm on Accutane! Actually, I'm excited about experiencing all these side effects everybody talks about. I know, I know; in three weeks when they hit me full force and I'm bitching and moaning about dry skin and soar joints, you'll come back here and quote me. But in all seriousness: 1 down, 149 to go.

Hi! I started accutane yesterday too. I am on 30 mg a day,only for the first month. from the second month ill be taking 60 mg.

Good luck

Good luck to you. I'm 25 yrs old, and I've been on Accutane (80 mg daily) for 2 1/2 months. I started my first month on 40 mg and my derm bumped it up by the second month. Unfortunately, the initial breakout is HORRIBLE. I've never had so many cysts on my face before and it's still ongoing. My skin looks worse now, than it ever did. But I think I'll start clearing soon, because my skin is starting to dry up. It was really oily the first 2 months. I haven't experienced any of the bad side effects yet (except for chapped lips-everyone gets that) No bloody nose, no dry eyes, no aches.... I'm still able to work out regularly-I run ~ 25 miles a week and do kickboxing aerobics. I honestly thought I'd get all the side effects cuz I'm on such a high dose and I only weigh about 105 lbs. Anyways, I'm sure you'll do just fine. "The end justifies the means." Don't forget to drink lots of water. :D

Giddyup Al3X. Post here any/all the time. Its great to know somebody is going through the exact same thing as myself, at the exact same time.

I just took my second pill. The reality is just starting to hit me that "this is it!" If this doesn't work, nothing will. And if this does work, I'll finally, for the first time in far too long, have clear skin which I don't have to worry about. Skin which won't embarrass me or cause me discomfort. Skin I can take out and show to the world. There are many things I'm looking forward to. Many things.

Just dropped the third. I'm so eager just to get this over with....

Random question is - how many people have you told your on Accutane?

My family knows; and thats it. I doubt I'll end up telling anybody else. Maybe my best friend, or maybe my pseudo-girlfriend, but I know how people are and don't really want people to know I'm on this stuff. So, I ask you, who'd you tell? and why?

Random question is - how many people have you told your on Accutane?

I'm going to start accutane soon and I don't think I am going to tell anyone besides my family. Perhaps afriend so he can tell me if my lips are falling off, but other than that no one else.

I was so excited about accutane that i told everyone i met..hahah.

Hey bob come online in MSN.

I guess depending on how bad the side effects, effect me, will determine if I tell anybody. If I'm super dry, chapped lips, hair falling out like a cancer patient, etc, then I''ll have to tell a few friends who are close to me - they'll notice. I've made some hints to people about stuff, said I had to get blood tests, see the doc, both I'm weary of telling everyone. Way to go Al3X, you've braver than me telling everyone. I'm with wOOter here, keeping it in the family. lol.

That dose is way too low. You need to take 1mg/kg of body weight until you reach a total cumulative dose of 125mg/kg of body weight. If this could be your last shot at Accutane, then you should try to persuade your doctor to give you the right dosage for the best chance of a long term remission. You don't want to wind up having gone through an Accutane course at a sub-optimal dose and realize it was for nothing.

Good luck,

Paul

Glorious!!

My plea was successful! I am ecstatic, obviously. When I first mentioned it, he began listing off reasons why I wasn't a candidate - not deep acne, not enough acne, not scarred enough. Then he mentioned that if I went to a fancy doc in Toronto - one who didn't follow the regular guidelines - I would probably get a prescription. From there he went into deep thought, asked how long I've been seeing him (just over a year), my weight (I fibbed and put a couple pounds on), and then agreed to put me on a low dose course of Accutane. I'm going for the blood tests this evening (or tomorrow morning) and hopefully will get the course started by the end of the week. It looks like I'm on 40mg/day, five times a week. Hopefully, when I see him again in a month the doseage will be increased.

So begins my jounrey. Hope you enjoy the ride.

shineygal thank you for your words of encouragement! I hope your second course will be the cure I'm hoping my first course will be.

His dose is not low. Its his first month so probbly his derm will up his dosage. The dosage depends not only on your wieght it depends on the acne and other thing.

That dose is way too low. You need to take 1mg/kg of body weight until you reach a total cumulative dose of 125mg/kg of body weight. If this could be your last shot at Accutane, then you should try to persuade your doctor to give you the right dosage for the best chance of a long term remission. You don't want to wind up having gone through an Accutane course at a sub-optimal dose and realize it was for nothing.

Good luck,

Paul

I'm not too worried about my doseage. Though, I agree that 40mg/day is too low for a full course, I think its alright for my first month. We'll see at the end of the month if I get bumped up - if he doesn't offer it, I'll inquire about getting a higher does. Since my acne isn't as severe as most peoples on Accutane, I'm not expecting the huge dose other people are taking.

Rash Time!

Arg, I'm now freaking myself out. Why? Because I've developed a rash. A rash? Yes, a rash. And its not on my hands or arm like everybody else. Where is it you ask? My pubes! Thats fucking right, I got a itchy red rash growing where my pubic hair is. Fuck shit hell bitch. All the information about rashes and Accutane says stop if you develop a rash on your legs. I talked to the secretary at the derms off and she said to monitor it. I went out to the pharmacy and was advised to apply some Hydrocortisone cream to it 3-4 times daily.

So, the reason I'm freaked out is because everybody else mentions arm rashes, not leg - pube - rashes. And all the information says is leg rashes, bruises, etc is a sign of Accutane allergy. Well, besides the rash I haven't had any other symptoms, so I know I shouldn't be extremely worried. Not today at least. Personally, now I'm thinking it is either an allergy or a heat rash from sitting with my laptop on my lap. Will keep myself dutifully monitored and if I never post here again, its because I have died from an allergic reaction to Accutane.

that sucks! i hope you dont have to stop the tane. are you m or f btw? i couldnt tell from your posts. i wouldnt worry too much. if you were extremely allergic to the tane you would be in the hospital after your first pill.

~Amy

that sucks! i hope you dont have to stop the tane. are you m or f btw? i couldnt tell from your posts. i wouldnt worry too much. if you were extremely allergic to the tane you would be in the hospital after your first pill.

~Amy

LOL, thanks for the comforting imagery of me ending up in a hospital allegeric to Accutane. j/k. I do hope it is just a reaction, not a allergic one, to the drug. I've been thinking about it, and the rash is definitely because of the Accutane. Now, the question is - is it because of an allergy, or has it just made my skin sensitive and my thighs have reacted to sweating under the heat of a laptop. The only reassurance I have that it isn't a allergic reaction is that the rash is limited to one place on my body. I figure if I was allergic I would begin to break out in rashes all over.

And I'm a boy.

The panic has plateaued. The rash seems to be under control. It hasn't spread, though it hasn't subsided either. I'm not panicing that I'm allergic to Accutane anymore. I still have the fear, but I figure if I make it out the week without any more rashes developing I'm safe.

Otherwise, the only other side-effect I'm experiencing is dry lips. Still wanting for the initial breakout; wondering what it'll be for me. Anyway, going to take my sixth pill now...

for dry lips i recommend using st. ives apricot radience facial cleanser. it has small beads like a scrub and makes a good lip scrub (trust me you'll need this) and then to use at night i recommend blistex DHT lip balm. :D

~Amy

Thanks shineygal, I'll look into those. So far I've been carrying around the standard generic ChapStick. Previously, one application of ChapStick was enough for all day. Now, its good for about an hour!

Ok, back to the rash. I know how you all wanna hear about my crotch; don't be shy! Well, I'm certain now my laptop have afflicted me with this itch. This evening I've been sitting with the lappy on my lap. Although it was on a textbook on my lap, my thighs still begin to sweat. Laptops are hot, and sitting with your legs up and together... anyway, that is when it flared up again. Each time it gets really itchy it is because my thighs are either hot (I know, my thighs are always hot!) or sweaty. Clearly, I'm going to have to keep my crotch temperatures down - oh woe is me!