Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
arandomname

Will using a moisturizer with non-gel bp still work?

For now I only have regular flaking bp (though I plan on getting the gel soon), and I was wondering if a moisturizer (found some at local store!) would just make the regular bp clump up or actually reduce the flakes.

Thanks for the responses

It really reduces the flakes. You should be using a moisturizer twice a day while on the regimen. Try Eucerin skin renewal- I have heard it works well with the BP.

Why are there so many posts about "moisturizers" on this forum? Do you folks really feel that you NEED moisturizers? How old are the two of you?

Bryan

Guest mishmosh

Check out who isnt doing Dan's regimen! BP dries the hell out of your skin.

Guest pokerbugg

what are u talking about?...shes talking about bp....bp dries ur skin out....so u need a moisturizer...ur obsessed with oil, give it a rest dude

what are u talking about?...shes talking about bp....bp dries ur skin out....so u need a moisturizer...

HUH?? I repeat my question: are you talking about WATER-dry, or OIL-dry? Aren't you aware that that's been a source of confusion more than once in this forum?

ur obsessed with oil, give it a rest dude

Go shave your legs, 'pokerbugg'! :D

Bryan

Guest mishmosh

just really dry. Stop being such a smart arse.

Why are there so many posts about "moisturizers" on this forum? Do you folks really feel that you NEED moisturizers? How old are the two of you?

Bryan

Just about everyone on the regimen should be using a moisturizer. BP makes your face really dry and moisturizer helps keep it from flaking and feeling tight. I'm 23, why do you ask?

Just about everyone on the regimen should be using a moisturizer. BP makes your face really dry and moisturizer helps keep it from flaking and feeling tight. I'm 23, why do you ask?

I take it that "the regimen" refers to a popular treatment program in this forum which includes benzoyl peroxide, and that benzoyl peroxide has a "drying" effect on the skin IN THE SENSE OF WATER ("moisture")? That's what I'm going to assume, anyway. I find it amusing that I never DID get a direct answer to my question, despite three attempts from three different people! :) I asked you about your age because dry skin (in the sense that you know I mean) is usually associated with older people, not young people who are susceptible to acne. I wasn't aware that BP has a "drying" effect (in the sense that you know I mean).

BTW, here's something that I bet isn't common knowledge here, and that's the fact that BP apparently also has a "drying" effect in the OIL sense. This is from "Effects of Hair Care Products on Sebaceous Gland Secretion" by M. Gloor, from the book Hair Research (Springer-Verlag Berlin Heidelberg, 1981):

"There are no studies with regard to benzoyl peroxide on the pilous skin of the head. However, there are studies on administration of benzoyl peroxide in a gel base to hairless skin (Fanta 1978). Since benzoyl peroxide is also contained in commercial shampoos, a corresponding action in this form of application is to be discussed. In the studies of Fanta (1978), it could be shown that the amount of skin surface lipids can be appreciably reduced by benzoyl peroxide. It could also be shown autoradiographically by in vitro technique in man that the (3)H-thymidine labelling index in the sebaceous gland is reduced by benzoyl peroxide. We found in the syrian hamster ear model a decrease in mitosis, a reduction in sebaceous gland size, an increase of the S-phase duration, and a shortening of the time up to detachment of the cell from the basal lamina of the sebaceous gland (Gloor et al. 1980)."

In other words, in addition to the accepted modes of action of benzoyl peroxide in killing P acnes and inhibiting unusual keratinization (I believe that's one of its modes of action), it may also help by reducing sebum production to some extent.

Bryan

Guest mishmosh

how patronising.....

nothing like digging up scientific studies from 27 years ago. Good to see you are up to date.

Dry skin needs moisturiser. Stop being so pompous.

Stop being such a smart arse.

how patronising.....

nothing like digging up scientific studies from 27 years ago. Good to see you are up to date.

Stop being so pompous.

ROTFLMAO!!

I'll tell you what, 'mishmosh': I'll stick to things that _I_ am interested in and know a little bit about (like sebaceous gland physiology), and YOU stick to things that YOU are interested in and know a little bit about (like how to pop pimples and handle that zit that you get on the day before the big prom)! ;)

Bryan

Guest mishmosh

yawns .......

I have a good BSc (Hons) degree in Health Science and Biology from Southampton University and I went to the prom some years ago. :rolleyes:

Going back to the original question, Eucerin skin renewal is meant be good for reducing flaking, but I've heard that it was discontinued recently in the US. I'm sure some smaller shops may still stock it.

Which country do you live in?