Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Tmac01

Roaccutane VS. Acne

ok well just got my prescription from the doc today for roaccutane...b4 i go any further let me make it clear how much i hate this "condition"...man if acne was a person i'd beat on him til.....forever..stupid acne take that!!!! :wacko:, yes im goin mad and the frustration is at the near level of explosion

a little bout myself...names Dean, i'm 6'0, bout 86kg and have been struggling with acne for about 3.5 yrs now, id say i have moderate acne...my acne is weird, it comes in cycles, but when it comes boy does it come. Im experiencing a pretty bad breakout now maybe cos exams have started at uni but i dont feel stressed even thou i know i'm screwed. In the past i was one of those religous users of benzal peroxide but enough is enough...i think ive spent close to $1000 on the stuff with no significant improvement. anyway im bringing out the big guns time to hopefully knock this acne out, or so i hope...:pray:

so the doc has started me on 20mg, now from reading other journals this doesnt seem enough for someon like myself who is 86kg/~185pounds, but i guess doc knows best. i told him that i play ball at least twice a week plus gym as i was concerned about the joint pains, which is known to be a common side effect. He said the lower dose should give my body a chance to get used to the drug and possibly ease the side effects . anyway im on 20mg for first 3 weeks and then up to 40 for next 4 weeks til next appointment. i'll post pics when i can..probably fortnightly or something...hope we can support each other through these trying times...stupid acne man *stomp* *punch* *bodyslam* :mad::wacko:

well here is where im at atm...:(

[attachmentid=2402][attachmentid=2401]

ok yall this post is dragging...its 2am, i have an exam in 31hrs and im still sitting here typing..im out bye!

post-21624-1130169906_thumb.jpg

post-21624-1130169906_thumb.jpg

ok i think im on day 4...no real significant changes, although i have had some minor breakouts but i doubt they are due to the roaccutane. i would have expected to breakout even if i was not on it so i would call it more of a coincidence for the time being. i have one of those really red and sore ones on my chin which came up yesterday. One thing worth noting is that i've had this small lump under the surface of my skin for quite some time now on my left cheek area and on day 2 it turned into a pimple...guess that could possibly be a sign the stuff is taking its effect, however still early days yet. Also any acne i have is taking longer to repair itself.

no dryness or any other noticible side effects yet, keeping in mind i am only on 20mg/day for the first 3 wks, however after workouts i notice my muscles take longer to repair themselves like my hamstrings are still sore from 3 days ago, but again im probably just being paranoid

oh ye i cheated on my exam..lol...:shhh:... well i wouldnt call it cheating as the questions were given to us before taking the actual exam so i just brought in little sheets of paper with my answers so i wouldnt forget them... ok well u can call it cheating but all for a good cause i say

anyways 2 more exams to go and im done and i wont be cheating on these ones ;)

if anyone whos been on tane and started on 20mg/day happens to stop by can u please give some details of ur experience...were the side effects as bad when u upped ur dosage or did the lower dosage prove to be beneficial in the long run? im assuming it will take longer to see results? did u see any significant improvement while on 20mg/day?...please respond with ur body weight for comparisons sake, all responses much appreciated ...cheers

will update soon :hand:

ok first week is over...nothing really significant to report in terms of side effects...my knees feeling slightly more sore than usual after a run, but i doubt this is due to the tane. Fortunately no dryness yet or anything else out of the ordinary.

i've had slight breakouts in my acne-prone areas, namely my chin cheeks and neck, however nothing too serious, just a few small whitehead types. i think a cyst is brewing on my chin though but its not as bad as they normally would get, perhaps a sign? 2 exams this week so lets see if the extra stress effects my acne. doc wants me on 20mg/day for another 2 weeks before upping to 40mg/day. was thinking of upping at the end of this week coming if there is still no noticable changes in terms of side effects. Think this is a good idea? i can't see the harm in it...kinda feel like im wasting time on 20mg/day but i'll at least wait another week and then decide. Will update with pics probably end of this week :hand:

your acne is really mild, chances are you'll experience no to little initial breakout....no breakouts towards month one....so good luck

Guest himrules89

you have actually pretty good accutane may be a little much

Hey man im also just over 6ft and weight about 82kg...train alot, weight sessions and multisport events. My acne was probably a bit more mild than your when i started accutane.....mainly beacause it was consistent. Started on 20mg for the first week. Then 40 mg for the next 3-4 weeks and now have been on 60 mg for 3 weeks......i noticed no side effects when i was on the lower dose....even at 40mg the only thing that i noticed was dry lips...now im on 60 i notice the dry skin a little more and my eyes are also a bit dryer.....but nothing that isnt controllable........i was breaking out bad for about 6 weeks.....ive slowly started clearing now, but still have a couple of problem areas e.g. just beneath the sides of each mouth, kind of on the chin i guess. When working out etc make sure that you adopt a good warm down routine with plenty of stretching....i found that if i negelcted my warm down it did make me sore for a few days.......So i think we are pretty much on the same path.....if you want any more info, hit me up with a PM.

Cher

thanks for your support everyone :)

himrules89 Posted Yesterday, 01:30 PM

you have actually pretty good accutane may be a little much

Hey man.....your probably into your second week now....any breakouts yet? Proabably not to bad as you are only on 20mg....On 40mg my breakouts were kinda bad....not over my entire face but just a few concentrated areas that got a bit of a beating....they are only now slowly clearing up with still a few lingering. However the breakouts that i got were not so bad that i couldnt go out in public...just made me feel a bit stupid. Im not supplementing anything at the moment....ive never been a big fan of supplements rather i prefer to mix my diet up and make sure i am getting plenty of everything from that. I was taking some whey to gain some bulk but i found i gained way too much...way too quick.....like i went from 76kg to 84 kg in about 1 month...so im not taking that anymore. Flax seed oil is pretty good to take.....im havent yet but i am looking into it, everyone on here seems to recommend it.

Iceing eh? I do know the benfits of ice on musuloskeletal soreness but haven't really tried it alot. Might give a try after a couple of harder sessions. The other thing that i would totally recommend is a bit of work in the pool.....that really does help the day after a big sesion when you are a bit sore. Its not contact, low weight bearing effects are ideal to free up lactic acid buid up and help with mobility of the sore joints. Umm i'm just about to finish my degree in physiology and sports science so any other questions about your training drop me a line!

Hope everything is going well otherwise

sports science..nice, i wanted to do physiotherapy but my grades weren't good enough...so psychology it is

anyway haven't really experienced any abnormal breakouts while on 20mg yet or any side effects for that matter..lets hope things stay this way at least until i hit 40mg in another 2 weeks or so

flax seed oil hey? what benefits does it provide?

oh and you know how icing reduces inflammation in muscles after activity...well i applied some ice to this cyst i had on my chin which was hurting for about 10mins....and now its no longer hurting and appears to have gone down in size too :dance: ... so people try icing any inflammatory acne as i believe it speeds up the healing process

Yo Tmac hows things been comin along.....icing eh? yeah i heard some people on here talking about that but wasnt sure of basis behind it...but i guess it cant do much harm unless you burn ur skin due to the cold. I havent really looked into the flax seed and fish oil but with high levels of omega 3's they are supposedly good for joints and also general health of the skin...tehy are quite good to take with the pills as the high levels of fatty acids are good for the absorption of the tane....

Peace aiight

ye Ralphed the icing definately helps with the big sore red ones in my experience....and i knew i forgot something the other day when i was out doing the shopiing...the vitamin supplements!!!! oh well next week

ok progress...it's been only 2 weeks but i really think my skin has improved since i began tane, i know its still early but i havent been breaking as much or as badly...but as my acne tends to come in cycles perhaps im just going through a good period atm...as for side effects, i've notcied some slight drying of the lips and around my chin area but nothing extreme, played ball 2 days straight last week and my body still doesn't feel 100%, i've had these abnormal pains in my ankle joints that i'm afraid are due to the tane and over-exercise, i think my legs are getting weaker, gonna start working on my legs at the gym 2-3 times p/wk, still on 20mg/day and decided to stick with the doc's orders. I'm kinda dreading going up to 40mg as im afraid this may trigger more severe side effects...was going to post pics but cant seem to find the camera, will look for it and post some 2moro

i have this stuff for your lips called "Lucas Papaw Ointment" which my misses got for me, it's made from fermented fruit and is excellent in aiding cracked peeling lips, its really cheap too $3 AUD...highly recommended...also atm using neutrogena SPF 15+ moisturiser which is what i've been using for like the whole year

went out for a picnic the other day...avoided the sun as much as possible, had sunscreen on however i think my face still taned abit...we'll see if this causes any problems over the next week or so...my skin is olive so i think it can tolerate some sun for now on the lower dose anyway

oh and exams are over!!!!...ye baby!!!..now i can focus on my game playing...nba live 06 isn't as good as i expected :( ...anyone here play counter strike??

:hand:

Edited by Tmac01

ok heres a pic of where i'm at after 16days...can only post 1 pic this time around as it only allows 160k worth of attachments..thats strange last time i had over 400k :think: ..anyway this pic is of my worst side and can be compared with the one i posted a couple of weeks back

[attachmentid=2572]

had a bit of a picking session yesterday which i now regret as you can see in the pic it has caused some noticable marks, anyone reckon they see improvement??

i've really noticed the reduction in oil on my face and i like it, however my lips are cracking and peeling alot more...but hey ill take dry lips/skin over acne any day

still early days yet trying to be optimistic here but in the back of mind i know im going to get hit with some bad breakouts over the next month or two especially when i increase my dosage...i just pray it will all be over after that

post-21624-1131640058_thumb.jpg

post-21624-1131640058_thumb.jpg

Edited by Tmac01

Improvement while in the beginning of Accutane, can only be seen as the smoothness of your face. My face is a lot smoother but a lot more red marks. My last pic doesnt show the redness I have now. I see improvement, just heads up. I'm far past a month now and got another huge breakout. :( Get ready for the unexpected. Yeah, NBA LIVE 06 was a let down but its still a decent game. haha.

I can empathize with you bra, I get the exact same kinds of pimples, except under my chin & on my upper neck.

I hope Accutane wipes out your acne problems for good!

:D

ye its sucks hey...i hope so too

Improvement while in the beginning of Accutane, can only be seen as the smoothness of your face. My face is a lot smoother but a lot more red marks. My last pic doesnt show the redness I have now. I see improvement, just heads up. I'm far past a month now and got another huge breakout. Get ready for the unexpected. Yeah, NBA LIVE 06 was a let down but its still a decent game. haha.

ye true less lumps now and skin does feel smoother, we'll see how things go over the next month or so ...

I've realized, once I shaved, our acne is really similar. We are on the same boat all the way haha.

man the dryness is really starting to kick in...wake up every day really dry around my mouth and lips...just upped my dosage to 40mg today so im guessing the worse is yet to come

progress?...well not much really, had a few minor breakouts here and there...still popping up in the same areas, namely the chin and cheeks... even got one on my upper lip which is odd.

A friend today said i looked "really tired"...perhaps a friendly way of saying dude you look f#@ked up, any comments about my appearance really get me down...sometimes i can feel people having a good stare ... the thing is that most people just don't know what acne and how we are helpless so they tend to interpret your appearance as a result of bad health/hygeine/habits etc. If only they knew... man im just trying to stay positive through these trying times but sometimes I just cant help getting down on myself

Yo man sorry i havent goten back to you in a wee while...been pretty busy with the new job. How you finding everything? Still feeling pretty tired after a hard days training? Im at about 2 1/2 months now.....looking pretty clear, as im on 70mg a day, i hae been finding it pretty hard to maintain the level of training i have become accustomed to. But things will return to normal once im finished. But yeah let me know how your going

Cher

well im approaching the 1 mth mark in a couple of days :dance: ...just switched over to 40mg 1 week ago and over this last week my face has been breaking out everywhere .. got 2 between by eyebrows :eh: , the rest just mainly around the mouth and cheek areas....things are starting to calm down a bit now as everything is healing and no active spots atm, however i have a feeling (from reading other logs) that the "rollercoaster ride" is beginning for me...ill be staying on 40 at least until my next derm appointment which is on the 12th of Dec.

as for side effects my lips have been dry and peely but the dryness on my face suprisingly enough really isnt a issue yet...there is some slight drying but nothing a touch of moisturiser cant handle...i think by my next meeting with the derm my dosage should be upped to 60mg as so far ive handled 40 with no real problems, besides the initial breakout but that was expected...i took some pics but im unable to post em up here unfortunately (not enough global space left, anyone know a way around this?)

Yo man sorry i havent goten back to you in a wee while...been pretty busy with the new job. How you finding everything? Still feeling pretty tired after a hard days training? Im at about 2 1/2 months now.....looking pretty clear, as im on 70mg a day, i hae been finding it pretty hard to maintain the level of training i have become accustomed to. But things will return to normal once im finished. But yeah let me know how your going

Cher

5 weeks in..all aboard the rollercoaster

have had a bad breakout over the past 4days or so...5 new large, and i mean large, pimples have come up and on top of that i have been experiencing really bad pains just below my right knee right on/in the bone...a few days back my lips literally felt like they had a layer of plastic over them but theyre ok as of late today thanks to my papaw ointment. one of my pimples had 2 whiteheads! wtf!..they seem to open up when i shower and one bled the other day without even touching it...i guess thats a sign of how much more sensitive your skin becomes, i guess we cant avoid more redmarks...all in all i believe my journey is really beginning now and i expect to breakout out badly at least once a week for at least the next 4-6 weeks.

my skin is definately a lot more fragile, the other day i was flossing and the floss kinda slipped and cut the corner of my mouth after barely touching it...anyway that cut is still there and noticable after 3 days...healing time seems to be longer...my body cant handle playing too much sports and now with this knee issue im kinda sidelined for the moment :( ...im taking fish oil supplements and am also considering getting some glucosamine as well...anyone have any experience with this supplement? i heard it takes like 6-8 weeks to have any effect...oh well ill be on tane for longer than that i guess

i think what i just experienced was my initial breakout after switching to 40mg and i expect more over the next month...does anyone know if joint pains will subside or ease as i progress through the course? or do they only get worse? i guess it depends on levels of activity hey...ahh its depressing not being able to play ball...i missed an important tryout that id been training for for last 2 mths because of this bad knee, they run over the next 2 weeks so hopefully i can get back in there next week but the way my knee is feeling atm i seroiusly doubt it, i try to stay positive!!! :| ...man this accutane better be worth it in the end!!

ok decided to delete some of the old pics to update with a recent one..took this in the morning after waking up and im not proud of how im looking in this one at all... :(

post-21624-1133330558_thumb.jpg

post-21624-1133330558_thumb.jpg

Hey Tmac, thanks for the update man...i wouldnt worry about your skin....its looking pretty good for the stage you are at in the treatment. It tough but keep on keeping on. That really sucks about your knee dude, injurys are a bitch....i think the further down the treatment you get the better you become to handle things. I am still on 80mg a day and am pushing better than i was when i was on 40 and 60 in my first two months. Hang in....im at 3 months next weeks. Its amazong how quickly things go when u havr stuff to keep you occupied. And remember...DONT PICK! the couple of spots that i did early on are now by far my worst red marks out!

Catch u up soon

hey Ralphed wassup dude, ahhh damn..accidently picked one b4..skin is so fragile that the top layer of the pimple just peeled off as i was touching it...well my finger nail kinda peeled it off, which then exposed some white stuff...i cleaned it out and then it bled so i guess another red mark for the ages.

Also found out that fish oil only helps to lubricate joints, while glucosamine actually helps to rebuild the cartlidge...and apparently it can take its effect anytime after 3 weeks of use..thought that might be helpful to some