Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I used to have bad acne during my teens and even tho its not as bad anymore, I think I have social problems now from it. I get panic attacks speaking if I'm doing public speaking. Even if Im hanging out with a big group of friends i feel uncomfortable and I hate being put on the spot or speaking to more than several ppl at the same time. Am I the only one with these problems?

Guest tenshigirl25

no, its the number 1 fear next to dying..so your not alone. sometimes i panic but it always takes about 5 or 10 minutes of talking and getting thru the beginning phase b4 u start to relax and realise your panicking over nothing.

no, its the number 1 fear next to dying..so your not alone. sometimes i panic but it always takes about 5 or 10 minutes of talking and getting thru the beginning phase b4 u start to relax and realise your panicking over nothing.

I think my problems are worse than normal. I need to find a way to get over this nervousness because it is hindering me in certain social situations

Guest tenshigirl25

but once u start talking, u do get over that initial panic feeling..i used to get them really bad..i could feel my heart beating out my chest, my voice would become really low and tiny and i couldnt breathe properly. actually the way i got better was a few things..socializing when your with friends, drinking alcohol ( i know, but its true) when i went out would relax my nerves, when i took a ecstacy but not anymore that made me realise i can go out a djust be myself and not to take anything..i realised nobody cares. they only care if u act like your scared..so yeah, no drugs or alcohol will solve the preoblem but it kind of kick started me to see i could just dance and talk in a club or wherever and nobody was looking at me or thinking anything bad about me..it was just too much thinking on my part. the other thing is im 25 now. as u get older, it gets easier and asier because u dont care less anymore, u realise we are all people and u shouldnt be scared of anyone or let anyone intimidate u.

but once u start talking, u do get over that initial panic feeling..i used to get them really bad..i could feel my heart beating out my chest, my voice would become really low and tiny and i couldnt breathe properly. actually the way i got better was a few things..socializing when your with friends, drinking alcohol ( i know, but its true) when i went out would relax my nerves, when i took a ecstacy but not anymore that made me realise i can go out a djust be myself and not to take anything..i realised nobody cares. they only care if u act like your scared..so yeah, no drugs or alcohol will solve the preoblem but it kind of kick started me to see i could just dance and talk in a club or wherever and nobody was looking at me or thinking anything bad about me..it was just too much thinking on my part. the other thing is im 25 now. as u get older, it gets easier and asier because u dont care less anymore, u realise we are all people and u shouldnt be scared of anyone or let anyone intimidate u.

Good post. See my problem is that when I get nervous ppl. can tell that i am nervous and that makes it worse. So I'm not fearing the situation as much as I am of getting nervous and looking like a total jackass. This is especially true during public speaking(my hands shake, voice trembles etc.) I understand there is no reason for me to be nervous, but its like i've developed the instinct to be nervous. Even when I'm talking to say more than 4 ppl. at a time, I feel uncomfortable and I bet ppl. can tell. I just wanna change it, but i dont know how. I dont have a lack of confidence in other areas of my life, but its just in some social situations that I fuck up in. Ive done the whole alcohol thing and it works for socializing with friends etc situations but definitely not for public speaking. Anyways, thx for ur input

Guest tenshigirl25

at the same time dont try to fight it, because some people are more 1 on 1 people and others extroverted. so if u just be true to yourself it might make things easier..u said its ok in some situations so your not completely lost..your just still figuring out who u are? once u know yourself if that makes any sense..u dont care as much.

to be honest i had a bad problem, could not speak in class etc, panic attacks in presentations.

I went on some ananxiety drugs which helped a lot, because it gives you the courage to speak, as the bodily reaction of anxiety (red face, shivering) is gone...

Now I am not sure if your case warrants this use of meds, but you might want to see your doctor about it. Anti deps and anti anxiety drugs are the most prescibed drugs in the world, doctors know about it..

to be honest i had a bad problem, could not speak in class etc, panic attacks in presentations.

I went on some ananxiety drugs which helped a lot, because it gives you the courage to speak, as the bodily reaction of anxiety (red face, shivering) is gone...

Now I am not sure if your case warrants this use of meds, but you might want to see your doctor about it. Anti deps and anti anxiety drugs are the most prescibed drugs in the world, doctors know about it..

Yeah I get anxiety attacks when I am giving a speech so antianxiety drugs would work well, but I am scared of the side-effects. As for other social situations, I'm not sure what to do to get better. I guess I just need to expose myself to that situation more and more to get over my fears.

I used to have bad acne during my teens and even tho its not as bad anymore, I think I have social problems now from it. I get panic attacks speaking if I'm doing public speaking. Even if Im hanging out with a big group of friends i feel uncomfortable and I hate being put on the spot or speaking to more than several ppl at the same time. Am I the only one with these problems?

I used to have that prob. ...but not from acne, then I took an ECC class and that helped me to learn to speak with people, but they only offer that kinda class in highschool...i think

i get anxiety attacks all the time. no relation to acne tho. whenever i get nervous my throat tightens up. like if i drink a beer or two my throat feels soo tight. i dont know why this is. i guess its good because it has stoped me from drinking alot. i think i get the anxiety attack because i know im doing something badass?

i get anxiety attacks all the time. no relation to acne tho. whenever i get nervous my throat tightens up. like if i drink a beer or two my throat feels soo tight. i dont know why this is. i guess its good because it has stoped me from drinking alot. i think i get the anxiety attack because i know im doing something badass?

That never happened to me...but you can go to a Spych. to help you out

depends on the people... some people are acne free but still get nervous being in front of a crowd.... if i'm doing an oral presentation... i'm really comfortable... but if the teacher ask me a question out of nowhere , i'm freak out...

but in front of the class... my hands arent shaking, i dont get red and i'm ok... i dont know why...

Guest mishmosh

panic attacks are when you are gasping for breath and feel like you are going to die.

Guest mishmosh

what has been described previously is bad anxiety.

A panic attack is something else and a half :doubt:

Panic attacks derive from anxiety. Myself and others in my family have experienced anxiety, and in different ways. However, panic attacks usually are described as shortness of breath (trouble breathing), heart palpitations, fear, shaking, sweating, tightness in the chest, etc., yes. It's true that sometimes it is so intense that people fear they will die.

Social problems because of acne? Ehhh... that kind of goes too far.

I've had social problems because, well, I pretty much don't fit in. (I don't agree with people's views and such)

If you keep getting nervous around people, face your fears man-- just hang out more with people...

I know how it feels when they know you're nervous... but the more you hang out/talk to people while being nervous, the less nervous you will become, and at one point you and your friends would be laughing about how you used to be nervous and making jokes about it...

And then maybe some special girl will start noticing you for who you are, blahblahblah....

You get it, I think.

i know what you guys mean...

but you really should try see a counciller or something...i used to be so stupidly bad, because of BDD, and exaggerating my skin condition so i thought i was horribly disformed, i was getting to the point of agraphobia..i didnt see anyone except my family for 3months (probably why i nearly failed my AS's lol) and i got panic attacks just randomly by thinking about things, to the point where the room would blck out and my feet and legs would go numb.i know, sounds like i was being meoldramatic..but i really saw these things in my head, because i let them manifest, and worsen.

find help...you really dont want this getting worse.if youre at school/college, there should be councillers there that are free of charge, and will help boost your self esteem, and discover how you can feel better and more confident.

actually, counsellors are crap, they don't give a shit about people with acne, they onl like the 'proper cases'.

Freakboy, I have no side -effects from antianxiety drugs. But I think you should speak to your doctor and discuss the benefits of counselling or drugs?

I used to get so worried before speeches.. I would have uncontrollable shaking.. my palms would sweat.. I'd stutter.. but our freshman year.. we had a mandatory class for speeches.. when I first thought of this.. I was like omg.. torture? Hell yes.. but after like the second speech I became a natural at it.. now I'm actually good at speeches and presentations.. Like I actually look forward to them now.. I have pretty much no problem now just getting up infront of people and being who I am.. I am so thankful to that class.. but yeah.. It found it better not to really practice.. write notes maybe but wing it.. and it's almost easier? Maybe because you don't dwell on it so much before.. like if you consistently practice before you might be working yourself up at the same time.. getting you more nervous.. best is not to think about it and just get up there and do what you can.. But maybe you'd be good if ya took a speech class too?.. It's funny.. I'm more comfortable now talking infront of a bunch of people than I am just talking to like one person casually..

Mishmosh.

I suffer from an anxiety disorder and i can assure you that a panic attack is different for each person. Some people gasp for breath, others feel dizzy and disoriented, forget where they are, and breathe really fast.

For me, sometimes its just like someone is sitting on my chest pressing in at the sides like i can't relax my muscles.

They're all valid indicators.

I have Social Anxiety Disorder and I see a clinical psychologist. It helps a lot. She teaches me ways no to be so nervous and negative all the time. For the girl that says she takes meds: What medication are you on? I blush all the time and shake. Would the medication completely stop it?

I have S.A.D also. I am not on medication as it would mean I would be deemed In-elidgable to go on Accutane, however I hear in terms of medications used to treat Anxiety the SSRI's like paxil and zolosoft are not very effective and basically just turn you into a zombie without emotion, the ability to laugh at funny things etc.

In reality I think the best solution is cognitive behavoir therapy which can be administrated by a Psychologist. Basically with the help of your Psychologist and therapy you set little tasks each week and accomplish them until you feel more and more comfortable doing those things and the Anxiety lessens.

CBT Therapy is very effective sometimes. Helped me ALOT. Helps slow us down, be able to break down the emotions, thoughts, and actions into managable bits.

Guest pokerbugg

i feel u...i feel like afreak sometimes....ive become so anti-social, im all screwed up in the head..:( whatever thats life