Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Mooninite

Makeup effect on acne

Just wondering if anyone knows: does makeup that is not labeled as non-comedigic (spelling) have any kind of negative effect on the skin if applied on active acne? Thanks.

Guest mishmosh

I have seen a huge improvement in my skin since changing to mineral makeup.

I used to wear oil free liquid (max factor facefinity) and people used to tell me to stop using it, but I wouldnt listen! They were right. I used to come up in lovely big boils and I acceptd that as 'normal'.

I am not doing Dan's regimen anymore (only did it for a month or so - hated the dryness and red marks).

hey mishmosh where do u get this mineral stuff from and does it really work? Does it cover well and is there a coverup stick? I work in very public job so could not get rid of my beloved makeup but am starting to think it may be aggravating my skin.

Guest mishmosh

I buy it from MeLange, USA on the net.

http://www.melangecosmetics.com/eShop/10Br...wder+Foundation

I use number 1 - it is about the same as Max Factor's 'natural' colour. You can also buy minerals from UK eBay (type in Mineral foundation), but the choice of brands is limited. Go onto the USA eBay and there are loads! American skin tone is considerably darker than here in England. What they call 'medium' is what I call quite dark! I have never seen minerals for sale in UK shops.

I pat it on with a flat sponge. Ive heard that MeLange gives a slightly heavier coverage than other brands. Try and stay away from mica if you can. Some people buff it on with a large brush, but I couldnt get much of a coverage with that and I made too much of a mess!

Liquid concealer works best with minerals. Good luck.

You should look for non-comodegenic AND hypoallergenic when searching for makeup Hypollargenic is a word that means that the foundation does not contain that many allergens that could irritate the skin. Makeup that is not hypoallergenic could aggrivate acne. As far as clogging pores, some makeup contains silicone in high amounts which is oil-free but could possibly clog pores. People with sensitive skin should stay away from them but otherwise if it says non comodegenic it is usually fine, but you will never know how your skin responds to one specific ingredient out of the list on the bottle, so tried and true is the way to go about it. I have gone through wearing makeup, and by the end of the week I usually now if the makeup is starting to or could possibly clog my pores.

Just wondering if anyone knows: does makeup that is not labeled as non-comedigic (spelling) have any kind of negative effect on the skin if applied on active acne? Thanks.

It can.

I got a horrible breakout from Neutrogena's Healthy Skin Enhancer, which Neutrogena claimed was non-comedogenic on their website. I then looked up the ingredients and according to the lists I could find they were not things which should be anywhere near my skin.

Paula B's site does mention that Neutrogena has a history of claiming that some things are non-comedogenic when they aren't, and it's not like anyone checks their claims, so I think some companies just do what they want.

So, i guess it depends on the makeup.

Also, I can use mica with no problems at all, so I guess a lot depends on your skin too.

I've used plenty of products that claimed to be non-comedogenic and hypo-allergenic. I can't say any of them truly lived up to this. alsmost every m/u I've ever tried that made these claims broke my skin out bad with the exception of MMU. I usually use Bare Minerals. I do have a bottle of Jane Iredales Liquid Minerals. I use that when I'm looking for a lighter coverage. I've no problems from them.

I wear liquid makeup, concealer, and powder. (plus blush and eye makeup and lipstick of course). I would worry about it, except that baCk in my more hippy-ish times I did not wear any makeup for about a year (I had a hardcore job working with animals at a shelter and I got really dirty every day so I didnt bother). My acne was just as bad during that time so I know its not the makeup.

regardless of what a m/u label says, my skin doesn't react well with makeup. i noticed that since i have started to wear less, my skin has been less oil and improved in texture. i guess it's just trying and see what works for you... i have heard races about mineral makeup though! i tried it, and i like it. it doesn't make your skin feel oily.

My daughter's derm says no liquid make up is good for acne prone skin. She suggests wearing only powder. It does sound harsh, but unless you really need the heavy coverage (the odd time), you would be doing your skin a favour and probably cutting the healing time in half, if you try to stay away from liquid foundation. :angel:

I have a Rimmel Liquid Foundation which I got free (used to work in a pharmacy) when the line finished, and just happened to match my skin tone. It's oil-free, not labelled non-comodegenic though.

If I use it, my skin looks so much better, it covers the red patches up, the cysts, the whiteheads, anything like that (not fully, but a defo improvement.) It seems to help dry my skin up too, so I can just use more moisturiser and let it dry my spots up. If I wear it, I'm far less tempted to pick my face, because I don't want to pick the make-up off.