Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
gttraveling

What Alkek in Dallas says about Dermabrasion

This is from Alkek's website:

" Dermabrasion is the best treatment for scars in general and for deeper lines like creases or furrows. It can also be used for tattoos, birthmarks and kera- toses. It goes deeper than a chemical peel. It is like sanding the surface of a damaged table so that the gouges (scars) are less deep. Some scars should be punch-grafted or excised first, then dermabraded four weeks later (see those sections). Deep saucer-shaped scars may be improved 50% to 60% and the remaining depression injected with a filling substance. Derma- brasion produces an improvement in the complexion but will not give a "perfect" face like a twelve-year-old. I do a deep dermabrasion so that it may not have to be repeated. Occasionally a repeat dermabrasion may be desired. Dermabrasion may be done while there is active acne but it is best to control it as much as possible. Some patients have more expectations from a derma- brasion than others, although everyone will get from 60% to 80% improvement depending on the type and extent of scarring."

He basically says 60-80% improvement. What a load! I have yet to hear anyone on this board who has had that. Now granted, those who achieve that result will not come on this board anymore (what a depressing board this is), but still...

He probably means patient can expect those kind of results with his "deeper dermabrasion". I've heard a lot of good about him. Isn't he one of the best to go to for a dermabrasion?

This is from Alkek's website:

" Dermabrasion is the best treatment for scars in general and for deeper lines like creases or furrows. It can also be used for tattoos, birthmarks and kera- toses. It goes deeper than a chemical peel. It is like sanding the surface of a damaged table so that the gouges (scars) are less deep. Some scars should be punch-grafted or excised first, then dermabraded four weeks later (see those sections). Deep saucer-shaped scars may be improved 50% to 60% and the remaining depression injected with a filling substance. Derma- brasion produces an improvement in the complexion but will not give a "perfect" face like a twelve-year-old. I do a deep dermabrasion so that it may not have to be repeated. Occasionally a repeat dermabrasion may be desired. Dermabrasion may be done while there is active acne but it is best to control it as much as possible. Some patients have more expectations from a derma- brasion than others, although everyone will get from 60% to 80% improvement depending on the type and extent of scarring."

He basically says 60-80% improvement. What a load! I have yet to hear anyone on this board who has had that. Now granted, those who achieve that result will not come on this board anymore (what a depressing board this is), but still...

He can't really predict what kind of improvement,if any, one will have.I had mild superfical scars and got no real improvement.