Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

i recently went to the derm (first time) to get a professional's opinion on my skin. i have moderate acne, although i am not sure if that is what it is technically called. i get a couple of breakouts on my cheek and no where else. anyway, i was given a prescription to get benza clin 5% gel. i started using it yesterday and so far i see a significant improvement. the acne on my cheek has definitely lessened, however there are quite a few spots that remain.

here is my procedure:

morning-

1) wash hands with soap

2) wash face with oil of olay face wash (it has witch hazel in it and it is for combination skin)

3) apply rose water

evening-

1) wash hands with soap

2) wash face with oil of olay face wash

3) apply rose water

4) apply benza clin gel

5) apply a tad bit of moisturizer (vaseline brand)

obviously i wait a little bit before i apply the gel because my face is still wet and also when i apply moisturizer. in the morning i don't put any moisturizer on because i feel like it makes my skin worse. i don't have that dry of skin but it does get a tad bit dry. i add a little vaseline in my foundation (i only wear makeup in the morning-afternoon usually) so my skin doesn't completely dry out. i've noticed a significant change because of this on the acne on my forehead. i don't have any pimples whatsoever. it's just clear, smooth skin. also, i believe washing my hands with soap has decreased a lot of pimples because there is less bacteria on my face considering the places and things your hands touch.

my main concern is how effective benza clin gel is. if anyone who has tried it could reply, it would be very helpful! thanks in advance.

-cadie

Guest FearlessBunnyLove

I have moderate acne and Benzaclin has helped some. I think I might end up taking something else along with the Benzaclin. Anyway it can be drying so you might need to moisturize more. It'll take a few days for the drying to set in. If your moisturizer makes your skin worse then you should try another one.

benzaclin helps... but it makes my face BURN.. I tried it for like a year or so too.. cause I've been seeing the derm sense I was around 14.. and I always hated the feeling of putting the benzaclin cream on my face.. I dreaded it.. because it smelled.. and the texture of it I hated for some reason.. and then sometimes it would burn so badly that.. I tried to wash it off.. and even afterwards it burned for like the entire day and if I were to cry.. where the tears would roll down would make the skin burn even more.. I think it works.. but My skin just cant handle it.. I dislike it.

hey guys.

thanks for those replies.

i guess i'll start moisturizing because i don't want those stupid brown marks on my face... :doubt:.

anyway, thanks again!

I don't like benzaclin. It always made my face red, dry and irritated. I would reccomend Brevoxyl-4. It's twice as good and I've never had any pain with it.

not sure if someone said this

it's Benzoyl Peroxide + Clindamycin....Clindamycin is the weakeast prescription topical, but can be very effective for mild acne. The bezoyl peroxide is good.

You can try freezing it, the BP will absorb better and it may reduce some inflammation because of the cold (and you'll have a 'refreshing' feel when applied)

hey thanks.

i have mild acne, and so far it's doing miracle. my face is already completely clear. i'm talking 98% clear. i don't have red spots or anything, so it's doing well.

Guest FearlessBunnyLove

I looked permantly tan when I started benzaclin. Since my skin is darker redness seemd to manifest itself as a fake tan. I've foudn that it really drys out my skin and exfoilating is the only thing that helps.

i don't use the toothbrush to exfoliate b/c i found that it irriates my pimples more than anything. i wash my face with my hands but doing a good job scrubbing. that's sufficient right?

i wouldn't moisturize at the same time as the BP, i'd moisturize in the am. thats what i do...mind you i only use clindamycin for my forehead and i never moisturize there, the moisturizer is for the other areas the morning after i use benzamycin.

Guest virgo

i use benza clin too.. it makes my face a tiny bit dry but never burns or anything... you're supposed to use it twice a day, not just at night. ive also found that it helps even out the skin tone when it comes to brown marks, over a long period of time.

yeah i know that most people use it twice a day, but i'm a girl and wear makeup and you're suppose to wait an hour after putting benza clin on before applying makeup. frankly, i'm not going to wake up at 4 in the morning for the sake of benza clin or makeup. i've gotten wonderful results so far with using it once a day. my derm told me the key is consistency. as long as i am consistent with my routine, i'll be fine. using it once a day is good for me because it does slightly burn and it does dry my skin up a bit. but all is good. i'm 99% clear and i love it.

i wouldn't moisturize at the same time as the BP, i'd moisturize in the am. thats what i do...mind you i only use clindamycin for my forehead and i never moisturize there, the moisturizer is for the other areas the morning after i use benzamycin.