Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
hopefulinBrazil

DILEMMA: TO START OR NOT TO START REGIMEN

DISCLAIMER: Being new to the board, I thought I'd share a bit about my acne history, which I think is relevant to the question I'm asking. As a result, this is a bit long. I appreciate you taking the time to read this and comment on it. THANK YOU!

Dear Comrades in War,

It is with much Hope and Faith that I have found this resource on the net. So, before moving on, I’d like to extend my gratitude and sincere “Thank You� to Dan for having the foresight and courage to share his regimen with all of us. The community that has evolved around this service also represents a tremendous asset to all of us. First, we can learn from each other’s experience; successful regimen and not so effective ones. This is particularly useful, especially since the medical community – in my humble opinion – does not seem to have made huge advances in developing effective long-term acne treatment for a good portion of the population suffering from this disease (I myself am in this category). Secondly, a support network like this is of great value for many like myself, who have probably tried most of the drugs (prescribed and OTC) with no significant improvement. So, Dan, kudos to you on going above and beyong your call of duty �. Thank you!

BACKGROUND

My acne war began at 18 years of age around October of 1995. I was then a freshman in College. It first began as mild acne and very oily face and then quickly culminated with full-blown cistic and nodular acne. I can vividly remember Homecoming weekend when my parents were in town visiting…Boy were they shocked and horrified to see their son’s face covered up completely with these gigantic, pus-filled zits. Needless to say, they urged me to go consult a dermatologist at once. I did! Upon examining my case, the dermatologist recommended Accutane. At the time, I really couldn’t care less about the side-effects; I just wanted a clear complexion as soon as possible. After all, the acne was not only physically painful, but it was hurting me emotionally as well. I was depressed, had no desire to socialize or do anything that involved exposing myself. The Accutane regimen helped A LOT. It contained the breakout and the oiliness of my face. It didn’t do much to the blemishes left-over, but, thankfully, I did not have any scars (I always made sure not to pick any of my pimples, regardless of the situation). As far as I can remember, the side-effects weren’t all that bad (or maybe I just tolerated them very well). By the time I graduated from College in May of 1999, I wasn’t breaking out, but my complexion was still far from ideal. Many, many blemishes and uneven skin tone. I was being patient and always believed that my skin would heal itself over time, provided no more breakouts occurred. HUGE assumption!!!

MAY 1999 - 2005

Throughout this period, I experienced a return of mild to moderate acne. Nothing like the cistic and nodular acne from before, but bad enough to bring back the emotional distress and the blemishes. At this rate, I thought to myself, I will never have a clear complexion ever again in my life. So, in these six years, I consulted 2-3 dermatologist and went through a lot of the possible treatments: tetracycline, minocycline, tazorac, differin gel, clyndamicyn, proactiv solution, and 2 peeling sessions. I probably tested out other products and drugs, but just don’t remember now. Anyways, as you can imagine, none of these treatments ever produced significant improvements. They helped marginally, but til today I have mild acne all over my face, but primarily on my cheeks (around the leve of the nose), the chin and white heads on the nose. My face continues to be oily, which is somewhat bothersome.

MY REGIMEN TODAY

After 10 years in the US, I’m now back home in Brazil. So, I just recently consulted a new dermatologist. I told him I was using Duac gel during the day, Retin-A (0.1%) at night, and Triaz Cleanser (Benzol Peroxide 6%) to wash up my face. This is the regimen I’ve been following for the past 2-3 years. He noticed that my face was extremely red (primarily on the cheeks around the nose level) and suggested that I switch from Retin-A 0.1% to 0.01% and that I only apply retin A twice weekly. The other nights he wanted me to use Duac instead. He also switched me out of the Triaz cleanser to a soap bar called “AcneSoap�. It’s supposedly a very mild soap. I followed his regimen for close to 2 weeks, but noticed that my mild breakout increased significantly. Afraid that things would get worse, I stopped his regimen and went back to my original. During my last visit with him I explained this and so he now has me on antibiotic Tetralysal along with the regimen that I was following. So, in a nutshell, here’s what I’m taking/doing:

DAY:

Wash face with Triaz cleanser – This cleanser has an exfolliating effect. It helps to remove the dead/flaky skins

Apply duac gel (combination of clindamycin and benzol peroxide) to entire face

Apply a blemish control product (which is sacrilic acid really) on the problem zits so that I decrease the effect of the blemish

EVENING:

Wash face with Triaz cleanser

Apply Retin-A 0.1% - This retin-A is really strong stuff. I really believe that my redness is due to this topical. It also has a peeling effect, which promotes thining of the skin and, thus, an increased sensitivity to light. So, I also burn easily in the sun. As a result, I’ve been trying to be very conservative when applying this on my face. The downside, though, is that if I don’t apply as much, I really feel that I’m more suceptible to new breakouts

1 pill of 150 mg of tetralysal – I’ve already taken it for 2 weeks and will be taking it for another 2 weeks before I go back to my dermatologist for another evaluation.

DILEMMA

As much as I want to be optimistic about this regimen I’m undergoing, I honestly don’t see much improvement from here on. I think that my acne can be somewhat contained with the topical medication that I’m using (and I can live with the breakouts that I have today), however the skin irritation due to the Retin-A will always be there. And, honestly, the redness and uneveness of the tone of my skin is what bothers me the most. I can somewhat manage the redness by controlling the amount of Retin-A I put on every night, but this always at the risk of increasing breakouts. So, I have yet to find a regimen that can help me control BOTH the REDNESS and the BREAKOUTS.

So, after reading the Clear Skin Regimen by Dan and reading the success stories of people, I thought that I should try out this treatment. Before plunging though, I wanted to get the feedback from other’s in this community who have possibly gone through the same regimen that I’m going through (i.e. Duac, Triaz, Retin-A) and achieved great results following Dan’s regimen. Essentially, I’m trying to hedge my risks because the last thing I want is to get on a new regimen that has a huge likelihood of making my skin worse off. It’s taken me a few years to get to where I am and I know that it takes only a couple of days of a “bad� treatment to make it worse.

So, I’d appreciate if people could comment on their experiences as it pertains to my question highlighted above.

Thank you in advance,

hopefulinBrazil

I also forgot to ask if anyone knows of supplies here in Brazil that they could recommend, primarily a BP Gel that I can purchase here in Brazil. There's a chance that Neutrogena's BP cream might be available here, but I'll have to confirm.

y not order Dan's bp? u can try neutrogena's extra gentle cleanser and it's moisturizer if u want. Dan is working on his own cleanser and moisturizer...hope ur acne gets better...because of Dan's regimen..my skin is clear ( only the red marks are left )

Question:

According to my dermatologist, a combination of antibiotic and BP is more effective than BP alone (hence, him having me on Duac, which is a combo of clyndamicin and BP). What do others think of this? So, then, would it be a matter just using Duac, but increasing the amount used?

DAN, what are your thoughts, please????

Thanks,

hopefulinBrazil

Question:

According to my dermatologist, a combination of antibiotic and BP is more effective than BP alone (hence, him having me on Duac, which is a combo of clyndamicin and BP). What do others think of this? So, then, would it be a matter just using Duac, but increasing the amount used?

DAN, what are your thoughts, please????

Thanks,

hopefulinBrazil

This is pretty standard, especially in countries where patients pay their Derms for meds, and the Derms like to cycle their sports cars (usually as fast as they cycle their patients antibiotics).

Only joking LOL!

It is standard but their are problems with antibiotics.

They kill good bacteria within the body.

They can increase irritation.

The bacteria can build up a resistance and become stronger.

There are side effects (sides) such as miscolored teeth, check the sides of your meds.

So whilst BP alone isnt as effective short term as BP+Antibiotic, long term its better to use BP without antibiotics in my humble opinion.

Its really important to follow Dan's simple regimen exactly as in his videos. I would only add that you wet shave every day as Dan does but not shown in video. When you keep old faithfuls or add in new stuff, you are just wasting your time. You also have to give the regimen 3 months.