Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
junkeroos

Creatine Monohydrate & Amino Acid supplements

Does anyone take these bodybuilding supplements to increase muscle mass? I'm planning of taking them to gain weight but would like to know if they would cause breakouts.

i used to take them. i dont think they'll break u out, i remember i didnt really get breakouts on them. supplement with b complex while ur on them

Does anyone take these bodybuilding supplements to increase muscle mass? I'm planning of taking them to gain weight but would like to know if they would cause breakouts.

Creatine mono. glutamine and protein all do not effect or cause break outs whatsoever... ill go as far as to say they will help in prevention because as u know taking those suppliements ur going to have to be drinking alot of water, and their is nothing better then water to help prevent breakouts.

Thanks for the reply. Now I have to create a workout plan to gain muscle mass while taking this supplements. I have to load with 20-30g of Creatine to begin with.

Guest james11

Yeah the only thing in Creatine supplements that would break you out will be the high sugar content (READ THE LABEL AND SEE). They will be refined sugars and these are known allergents and suppress the immune system.

Some people talk about Insulin spikes and the fact that they alter your hormone secretion, but they don't have an effect on Testosterone and therefore should not effect Acne. So you should be fine there.

I would say that Creatine, if it does effect your Acne, would only make it slightly worse. It's not like you are completely altering your diet, just adding a small amount of supplement to it.

I was recently considering taking Creatine and have decided not to. My reason is that Acne has made a mess of my life and weighing up the possible positives to Creatine and the possible negatives, i decided that i didn't want to complicate my life any more.

I'm also of the belief that my Acne is a product of many things in my life, namely depression, anxiety, and hormonal imbalance. I feel that trying to get big and get on all these supplements will just set me up for more stress and self-abuse. I've seen people around me tacle one thing at a time and they get places. Slow and steady wins the race!

I am a Health and Human Performance major at my college, am NASM certified as a personal trainer, and have worked for Bally's Total Fitness, also sports supplementation is sort of my forre. So, I will give you my personal opinion on the supplements which you listed. My response will be based on tons of research and personal experience.

Creatine Monohydrate: Pure creatine monohydrate does not cause acne. It is the added sugars which companies add to potentiate the transport of the creatine to muscle cells that causes a massive flare of insulin levels. Suddenly increased insulin hormone levels lead to increased acne in a large amount of people. Please conduct a search to learn the specific actions which cause this. I have taken creatine formulas with added sugars and whatnot which speed delivery as I said above, they all caused me to break out noticeably. I now take a creatine monohydrate derivative called Kre-Alkalyn. It is a creatine which doesn't require sugars to absorb. You could also use Creatine Ethyl Ester, which is an esterfied version of creatine monohydrate that also doesn't need any added sugars to absorb. By using creatine alternatives that have no added sugars, you have no spike of the hormone insulin.

Next is glutamine supplementation. Glutamine is used to restore glutathione levels after training, improve the immune system (still being debated,) increase muscle mass/reduce catabolism, and improve recovery time after excerise. It is the most aundant amino acid in the human body. Additional supplementation did indeed cause me to breakout. The reason for the increased breakouts while taking glutamine is because of the increased levels of GH (growth hormone) floating around your body while supplementing. Glutamine causes a pretty drastic increase in this hormone, which, just like testosterone can cause acne in many people. So, I no longer take glutamine. Also, glutamine is a supplement which many bodybuilder consider "up in the air." It is useful, but does not cause a large increase in muscle mass or weight loss. There are far better uses for you hard earned money than this amino acid when trying to achieve your health and fitness goals, especially if you are acne prone.

Amino acids and protein powders are a neccesity in terms of weight loss and muscle building. If you are lifting weights and trying to lose body fat and gain muscle mass, you must be supplementing with a protein powder. Now, protein powder contains amino acids in the form of whey protein. I don't want to get too involved with terms and whatnot (that would be better suited for perhaps a discussion with GreenJade.) Just know that it is better to supplement with protein powder to get your amino acid fix, than using straight up amino acids in the form of capsules or tablets. Free form amino acids (like the ones found in amino acid caps or tabs) are harder for the human body to digest than whey protein is. Whey is one of the easily digested forms of protein (if not the easiest, maybe egg powder.) So, stick to whey protein powder for your raw amino acids. ---------------- Now, about acne and whey protein. Some people find that protein powders can break them out and others it does not at all. It is my opinion that there are multiple ingredients in protein powders which could break out certain people. Artificial flavorings, sugars, added high glycemic carbohydrates, and the whey itself all can attribute to an increase or aggravation of acne. It just depends on what your triggers are.

In my opinion, the supplements which people who are prone to acne should take to increase muscle mass and lose body fat are:

-EFA's (flaxseed or fish oils)

-Guggulsterones

-Whey protein

-Multivitamin/Multimineral

-Kre Alkalyn or Creatine Ethyl Ester

-Chromium or Vanadyl Sulfate

-ALA (alpha lipoic acid)

I hope this information helps out all of you bodybuilders who don't know exactly what to supplement with when you are prone to breakouts. This is a subject that I feel many people on this board don't know about, yet they pretend like they do. So, hopefully this will get some more... scientific information out here on acne.org

James11, i'm sorry to hear about your situation which prevents you from taking Creatine even if you wanted to. It seems that there is no direct correlation between Creatine and acne:

This is what I found through google:

http://www.bodybuildingforyou.com/bodybuil...pplements-2.htm

I also found isolated cases of people breaking out from Creatine but it may be due to other inactive ingredients included in the formula. One such brand is Cell Tech.

http://www.airliners.net/discussions/non_a....main?id=967879

remmulp04, thanks for the info! Unfortunately I already bought micronized creatine monohydrate and amino acid capsules. This is what I got:

Micronized Creatine Monohydrate, Value Nutrition

IPB Image

Superior Amino 2222, Optimum Nutrition

IPB Image

Amino Fuel 1000, TWINLAB

IPB Image

I just hate gulping a drink and avoid tasting it. I figure that since i'm already taking the creatine in liquid form (from powder), then I should take the proteins in capsules. Hopefully, they don't cause any acne outbreaks.

creatine is fine so long as you're not sensitive to the high sugar content (most people aren't)

What may cause breakouts is sweating more than normal because you're having a kick ass workout on the creatine.

dude totally go for the creatine but make absolutely you get the PURE creatine not the big huge tubs with all sorts of sugar and stuff pure creatine is tastless and odorless(white powder) and get the amino acids pills not the whey protein or all that other crap! and if you want to know if they work YES totally especially the creatine wait 2 weks and you will not believe the results!!!!!

Interesting bit I found about Acne and Exercise:

http://www.acne.com/prevention/exercise.php

1) Is sweating good or bad for acne? On the one hand, it seems good for you because you're sweating out all the dirt and opening up your pores in the process. On the other, you can argue that getting dirty sweat all over your face, chest and back must cause your pores to clog and form zits.

If pores clogged on the outside / surface of the skin would be the cause of acne, we could cure acne by cleaning our skin thoroughly all the time, and we all know that this is not the case.

Acne is caused by the combination of a high sebum production and the pinching off of sebum canals in the true skin. The latter is due to the accumulation of 'dirty' protein and salt in the true skin, attracting water, increasing water pressure in the true skin.

Sweating is actually good, it helps a tiny little bit in deporting the 'dirty' protein and salt (in the sweat). Though this does not make any difference if new 'dirty' protein or salt is absorbed after having worked out.

Remmulp04, clearly you know what your talking about. What's a ghood multi-vitamin that you would recommend, cause I know a lot of them are close to worthless? Also, I'm currently taking regular creatine monohydrate by gnc which containts absolutely no sugar. Is there anything wrong with that form?

I will always recommend the GNC Ultra Mega Gold men's multivitamin. It is a bit on the pricier side (about $9 per month or so) but it has every aspect covered in terms of vitamins, minerals, and all kinds of other goodies. It's a time released two-a-day formula, so it is definatly top of the line. The tablets are medium sized and coated for easy swallowing. A multivitamin should be any healthy persons, bodybuilders, and athletes first string of supplements for so many reasons. I hope that this has helped you Dude.

I seem to have been suffering from constant breakouts since embarking on a regular weight lifting programme. I don't think creatine or glutamine made me breakout but I'm wondering if my breakouts have been caused by elevated testosterone following a workout. Anyone have any thoughts on that? And if you do, any ideas how I can prevent the breakouts?