Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
danielle23

Accutane vs. B5

Okay, since I am going to hold off getting preggers for another year or two. (can pretty take anything to help my acne at this point) I figured I would dare to ask the question...which is better Accutane or the b5 regimen?

I am getting to the point of desperation, my acne went from mild to moderate and now it's bordering on severe. AND this didn't start till I hit my twenties! Sheesh..

I can see postives to each regimen, but drawbacks as well. I just wanted to know what all of your experiences are. I am personally leaning towards the b5 since I think accutane might mess with my eyesight, but it also makes me nervous to take so many b5 pills. What do you guys think?

Please don't waste your money on B5. I took 10g a day for 6 months and it didn't do anything at all. I'm on Accutane now and looking back I should have started it a long time ago.

Please don't waste your money on B5. I took 10g a day for 6 months and it didn't do anything at all. I'm on Accutane now and looking back I should have started it a long time ago.

Do you think I would be a good candidate? I know it's just based on opinion, but I have yet another derm appointment..(endless cycle, lol) and I wanted some opinions.

IPB Image

Also, I have tried RAM, differin, cleocin-t, mino, and it seems like a billion other things that didn't work too well.

You'll probably be able to get accutane. Your acne doesn't appear to be severe, It looks like you just get whiteheads.

Try reading up on my microdosing article (link in signature)

Yep, I've seen people with acne milder than yours who got Accutane. I'll tell you exactly what people told me to do when I wanted tane. Tell your derm you have tried everything and nothing works. They will probably try to push more anitbiotics on you but be firm and explain you have no interest in wasting money. I just straight out said to my derm "I know what all my options are and I've studied them all carefully. Accutane is the only thing that's left for me. What do you say?" Five minutes later I was walking out the door with a prescription in hand.

It's easy to get. Good luck anyway though!

You're acne is bad enough to warrant an Accutane course, on the grounds that it could scar. Whether or not your skin will scar is down to a lot of different factors - age, healing ability, genetics - but my acne was milder than yours and it scarred.

Follow the advice given and demand Accutane. Unless it doesn't really bother you much.

Paul

Theres only been one study into the whole B5 thing and thats been dismissed by a lot of medical professionals. The main problem is that the body can only actually absorb a small amount of B5. The excess 9.5g will be urinated out and will not have any effect

b5 worked for me for a bit and i was almost clear but for some reason it didnt last. if you want to try it out, get it from acnemiracle.com, its cheaper and in powder form, swallowing all those pills will never work. your acne isnt that severe, its just everywhere, im sure you could convince some derm to get you on accutane but im not sure if you are up for the risks. do some reserach on it and see if you want to try anything else first, or at least until you can get the damn derm appt, usually takes forever.

Do you think I would be a good candidate? I know it's just based on opinion, but I have yet another derm appointment..(endless cycle, lol) and I wanted some opinions.

IPB Image

Also, I have tried RAM, differin, cleocin-t, mino, and it seems like a billion other things that didn't work too well.

I would say YES> Mine was like yours and my doctor gave me Accutane. It will only get worse from there. It looks like you have oily skin in that case accutane will help with that as well.

ive been on both and i would have to say accutane is far superior to b5.

they both wore off on me but i was clearer on accutane than i was on b5.

yeah, I am actually leaning towards accutane now that I have read all of your posts. My skin is pretty bad, maybe not severe but I do have a lot of whiteheads and some cysts. I really got my hopes crushed when minocycline didn't work out. I have tried many topicals and it was my last hope before tane. (right now I am trying the natural approach before my next derm visit this week)Uggh...

My main worry with accutane is vision problems because my sight is already pretty bad. I guess if I use eye drops often it won't be that bad. That is why I was looking into b5 as an alternative. However, who in the hell wants to take that many pills a day??? :hand: Probably not me.

On the upside, at least I know that there are other people that going through the same ups and downs with this too. Ya know, with makeup on no one really notices my pimples, but lately I have had several friends comment so I can tell it's getting worst. The other bad thing is that I am now getting acne all over my chest and shoulders. Really starting to bother me. Thanks for being there. :razz:

yeah, I am actually leaning towards accutane now that I have read all of your posts. My skin is pretty bad, maybe not severe but I do have a lot of whiteheads and some cysts. I really got my hopes crushed when minocycline didn't work out. I have tried many topicals and it was my last hope before tane. (right now I am trying the natural approach before my next derm visit this week)Uggh...

My main worry with accutane is vision problems because my sight is already pretty bad. I guess if I use eye drops often it won't be that bad. That is why I was looking into b5 as an alternative. However, who in the hell wants to take that many pills a day??? :hand: Probably not me.

On the upside, at least I know that there are other people that going through the same ups and downs with this too. Ya know, with makeup on no one really notices my pimples, but lately I have had several friends comment so I can tell it's getting worst. The other bad thing is that I am now getting acne all over my chest and shoulders. Really starting to bother me. Thanks for being there. :razz:

I think you look like a canidate! I'd say it looks persistent if anything. My acne definitely had gotten better by the time I finally got in to the derm, but I still had plenty of red marks and some scarring that she didn't even think twice. For me, I know I've seen a lot more severe than me, but honestly one pimple is too much for me. Mainly because my acne is so damn persistent....just as one would finally be clearing up and going away, I'd get another one. It was ridiculous! And then this summer it was a lot more than just one and a lot of it turned cystic. I'm 35 and I've been battling acne since I was 16.....my sister in law told me that hers got worse in her 30's so she wasn't surprised when I was telling her about mine.....I guess it is quite common. So I wonder if I had been given the option to treat it earlier if I would be avoiding these problems now. And since you're holding off on having kids, I just have to say that having acne with kids stinks. I hate their looks and questions about what is wrong with mommy's face! I am embarassed FOR my kids!!! So get it under control before the kids!!!!