Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Icantthinkofaname

Does anyone possibly know what this could be??

Ok, I will try to describe what I have. My acne has been under control for the most part for the last 5 years using clindamycin phosphate lotion once daily and retin-a micro every night. I am 22 years old and been dealing with acne and red marks left after since I was about 13. Well the red marks didn't come till the acne got more severe so red marks since I was about 16 or 17. Anyways, my problem now is on my left cheek and right cheek underneath my beard (not heavy beard, i just grow it to hide these marks because if i shave it looks TERRIBLE) Anyways the problem is I don't know what it is. It basically looks like acne from farther away because it is red but it doesn't feel like acne. What I mean is it almost feels like a scab that has formed on my skin...it feels like i can basically peel it off but it never goes away. I have about 5 on my left cheek and basically 2 on my right. Again, I have no problem anywhere else on my entire face except for these 2 areas under my facial hair. it would be like the area where you would have long sideburns. sorry for the weird description it's just hard to explain. For the most part it looks like dried up blood. Sometimes in the morning it looks very dark. Almost black...like a very deep purple. I always have blood on my pillowcase after a night of sleeping. I read up on "gram-negative folliculitis" and I am thinking that possibly this could be it. my stupid derm said that i could not contract it just by using topical antibiotics for an extended period of time but these things have been on my face since last february and they aren't getting any better with the regimen that i am on. i have recently stopped the antibiotic (clindamycin phosphate) and now just use my retin-a micro at night but still do cleanse twice a day. Also if you look up gram negative folliculitis you will find articles that do in fact say it can be induced by the continued use of a topical antibiotic as well as oral antibiotics.

Has anybody here had problems with pimples/lesions that simply don't go away on their own?? Maybe my acne is more severe there for whatever reason and I need something stronger like accutane to make it at least go down to the surface of my skin and leave a scar (hopefully not) or red mark. Normally if I get a lesion no matter how bad it is, it goes down to the surface of my skin and leaves a dark red mark which is a whole other problem. I almost rather have these things on my face just do that rather then stay "inflamed" or whatever they are right now and leave blood on my pillow every single night. My pillow cases are getting stained now. this is getting ridiculous. Well I hope someone here can help. Thanx for your time

-Dave

I have no idea what it could be....but maybe if you shave it would help it heal? But I really don't know. Sorry I could not help :/

wow that was a waste of time.

I am unclear as to what you are describing ( and I have been on the clindamicin/retin - a regimen before - for a long time)

are you saying you have cystic acne on your jawline that doesn not go away, but only gets more aggravated when you shave ( and then bleeds)? Is that what you mean?

Cause if that is the case I beleive it is the retin - a causing the problem. I was on on retin-a for 4 years (from 22 - 26) and while it does do wonders for skin texture and superficial acne, I found it did aggravate my skin in some aspects and encourage deep cystic acne that would last for a LONG time and become easily aggravated. Once I got off retin-a the problem disappeared.

Try the regimen.

wow that was a waste of time.

I am unclear as to what you are describing ( and I have been on the clindamicin/retin - a regimen before - for a long time)

are you saying you have cystic acne on your jawline that doesn not go away, but only gets more aggravated when you shave ( and then bleeds)? Is that what you mean?

Cause if that is the case I beleive it is the retin - a causing the problem. I was on on retin-a for 4 years (from 22 - 26) and while it does do wonders for skin texture and superficial acne, I found it did aggravate my skin in some aspects and encourage deep cystic acne that would last for a LONG time and become easily aggravated. Once I got off retin-a the problem disappeared.

Try the regimen.

Thank you both for the replies. My problem is really I can't even tell you if it's acne or not. It's like scabs on my skin under beard that just don't go away. As far as the bleeding, I don't ever look in the mirror and actually see it bleeding. I wake up at night and I have dried up blood spots and a yellowish color on my pillow case. I am guessing the yellowish is dried serum. Funny thing is my new derm (not good at all) said that it's acne and it will just take time to go away but it will go away on its own. He put me on duac (bp and clindamycin phosphate combined) and kept me on retin-a micro. I have been on retin-a micro for a LONG time maybe too long. All I know is that if this was acne it should just go away on its own and either leave a scar (hopefully not) or leave a red mark. but, no it just keeps scabbing up. In the morning it almost looks like I have black marks on my face because of the dried blood. I have had the same 2 ones on my left cheek under beard area since last February. This is getting really old and I'm sick of overpaid derms not giving me the right answer. I don't even want to shave because if I shave it just looks 30x worst. I hope I explained it better this time.

Dunno. Obviously BP is out with Retin-A.

You could try 10:1 diluted tea tree oil on it. Provided you dilute it, it should be ok to use with Retin-A, but go really easy to start with.

There are other antibiotics you could try on it. Your dermo could arrange to do a culture to see if there's a super-infection of some kind.

I think it would be more unusual with topicals, but it could happen.

Update: oh wait he put you on BP/clindo AND Retin-A... hmmm. My skin couldn't even hack BP/Clindo nevermind adding Retin-A ontop.

Dunno. Obviously BP is out with Retin-A.

You could try 10:1 diluted tea tree oil on it. Provided you dilute it, it should be ok to use with Retin-A, but go really easy to start with.

There are other antibiotics you could try on it. Your dermo could arrange to do a culture to see if there's a super-infection of some kind.

I think it would be more unusual with topicals, but it could happen.

Thanx for the response Wolf. My derm is an absolute idiot and I knew it. I knew it wasn't good to mix bp with retin-a. It cost me $115 for the initial visit because I have no health insurance and he did absolutley nothing for me. He did not even take a skin culture. He was just so sure it was acne so he just said it's acne and he put me on duac (which has bp in it) once a day and then retin-a micro at night. Also he put me back on doxcycline pills which I took when I was like 14 which was 32 years ago. Sorry for the sarcasm but I am just so angry at my derm. And they had the nerve to call me back about my follow-up appointment even when the derm said himself over the phone that there's nothing he can do and it would just get better in time. Well when you are going on 8 months literally with no sign of these things at least going down to the surface of the skin you begin to think that maybe the derm was sleeping in med school.

yeah my skin is so used to Retin-a micro because I have been on it for over 5 years. I also have been on clindamycin phosphate for quite some time. The duac though made my face itch like crazy whenever I ate because of the movement of my jaw. I was on duac once in the morning and retin-a micro at night like always.

Also he put me back on doxcycline pills which I took when I was like 14 which was 32 years ago.

Actually, that might show some intelligence; the spots themselves are probably some other bacteria, that the clindamycin obviously isn't killing. doxycycline is probably a reasonable choice.

But mostly spots heal by themselves; if any particular spot hasn't healed in 8 months, that would be rather unusual.

Dunno. I don't know enough about your skin to advise. What sort of acne do you get? Have you tried Dan's regimen?

Well the doxycline I took 1 pill a day for 30 days so I am done. I already been there and done that a long time ago. The weird thing is I have had my acne under control and really still do for the past 5 years by using clindamycin phosphate once during the day and retin-a micro at night. My forehead, and t-zone is perfect. It has been fine for the longest time now because I first saw a derm when I was 14 and I am now 22. So over the years everything has been under control as far as the acne goes. I have had post inflammatory hyperpigmentation problems but that's another issue. I guess the fact that my acne is really under complete control and the fact that these lesions or whatever aren't going down is really starting to make me think that it is not acne. Possibly it is gram negative folliculitis from being on topical antibiotics for all these years. The area where I have these lesions/scabs is the beard area of both sides of my face.

Could be. One treatment for that kind of thing is Accutane, but there are other treatments, depending on the infection type.

hummm, it sounds like something that this guy that I know has on his forhead, if it is then its not acne.....he's had had it a LONG time, it gets better then it gets worse. I don't know what could help you, but if I come up with any thing I'll let you know

hummm, it sounds like something that this guy that I know has on his forhead, if it is then its not acne.....he's had had it a LONG time, it gets better then it gets worse. I don't know what could help you, but if I come up with any thing I'll let you know

Ok, thank you. I never notice it getting better. I have come up with the correct derm-term for it I guess. They are blood crusts which are like scabs. They are red-black. I also have serum crusts sometimes too. When I wake up I will see a honey color crusting around the area. It's very strange but the bad thing is it's very noticeable. Since they are almost black they can be seen from Mars so I want to definetley get this under control. Thanx for all replies.