Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
lynn

who is wheat free?

Hi everyone, I know that we have had lots of diet threads, so pardon for starting another, but I am looking for support from people who are specifically WHEAT FREE. I have tried many dietary changes over the years- gave up meat, went many years dairy free, macrobiotics... Nothing seemed to affect my skin. But, the common thread throughout all of my diets has been excessive consumption of wheat and other grains.

I have started to get an inkling that this may be at the root of my problems. I had severe acne for many years, but after the regimen and hitting my 30's, it became very mild for a few years. Now, it has come back with a vengeance and Dan's Regimen is not helping.

The reason I think that wheat (possibly other grains as well) may be a major factor is that when I did cut out all grains but oats for a week last month, I felt a lot better, although my acne had time to improve only slightly. Plus, since I was hungry without the carbs, I ate more veggies and fruit. (not to gross anyone out, but another clue is that despite years of eating the recommended "high fiber" diets, I have suffered from hemmorhoids since my early 20's, which seems strange. But the week I went wheat free- things seemed fine.)

Unfortunately, I got distracted by life and money problems and relapsed hard core on wheat. Yesterday was the worst: I had tons of toast and noodles and felt exhausted and overfull afterwards. Today, I have very itchy inflamed cysts all along my jaw. Ouch! :cry: The thing is, my skin is not even all that oily.

I am going to try again. The two things I had trouble with was feeling hungry all the time and emptying my pocketbook. Organic veggies and fish is much more expensive than a pound of noodles! So, again, I am looking to hear from people who are still wheat free and think that it helped them, and for encouragement to help me break this 30-year habit.

OK, signing off, Lynn

When I started school two years ago, I found out I couldn't eat bread made of wheat. I got stomach problems. So I just ate rice for lunch the two years I went there. Didn't have any problems with acne. Then I started to work and I didn't want to eat rice for lunch since it would seem weird for my new co workers, lol! So I bought bread made of wheat again and ate it with cheese. I got stomach problems and a VERY bad breakout. I didn't know what to do! I decided to cut out dairy from my diet and also the bread made of wheat. I bought bread made of spelt instead. Now my stomach is fine and my skin is healing. Phew! I also know that oat is fine for me to eat. I will never eat anything made of wheat again because I know now that it's bad for me.

When I started school two years ago, I found out I couldn't eat bread made of wheat. I got stomach problems. So I just ate rice for lunch the two years I went there. Didn't have any problems with acne. Then I started to work and I didn't want to eat rice for lunch since it would seem weird for my new co workers, lol! So I bought bread made of wheat again and ate it with cheese. I got stomach problems and a VERY bad breakout. I didn't know what to do! I decided to cut out dairy from my diet and also the bread made of wheat. I bought bread made of spelt instead. Now my stomach is fine and my skin is healing. Phew! I also know that oat is fine for me to eat. I will never eat anything made of wheat again because I know now that it's bad for me.

hey do you have problems eating peanuts since wheat has vim E in it or do you have problems eating stuff with vim E in it.

hey do you have problems eating peanuts since wheat has vim E in it or do you have problems eating stuff with vim E in it.

I don't entirely understand this question, but it's not the Vitamin E content of wheat or probably peanuts that's a problem for people. It's the starch and/or protein (and/or fungi/mycotoxin) content of these foods and the way our bodies digest and/or react to them (in a negative manner) that's the problem.

All the best

does wheat really cause acne? i'm starting to think it does. i eat it everyday and i get breakouts often. maybe it plays a role in acne

does wheat really cause acne? i'm starting to think it does. i eat it everyday and i get breakouts often. maybe it plays a role in acne

i could for som people but i think wheat helps but maybe not for ev every one.

Wheat can be problematic for a few reasons:

Gluten Protein Content (hypersenstivity, intolerances, insulin mimicking)

High Amylopectin Starch Content (insulin spiking)

Allergenic Protein Content (allergies)

Select Lectin Protein (hypersenstivity, intolerances, insulin mimicking)

Fungi Content (stored grains can become moldy)

Mycotoxin Content (fungi release toxins that can be irritating or cause/mimic diseases)

So those are the possible reasons. If you avoid wheat 100% and your skin improves, you then need to figure out which of the above (more than one may apply) was the reason and then investigate other foods until you become 100% clear and/or try a Detox Regimen.

You can also try consuming sprouted wheat products to see if this is something your body can tolerate (avoid added gluten sprouted breads) as some members have found that they can tolerate sprouted grains, but not unsprouted grains.

Of course, there's the possibility that wheat itself isn't the problem but it's the type of wheat and the way it's used that is. For example, you may need to eat whole grainbrown or white wheat (both whole grain versions) and only added salt and water for bread instead of the type with Table Sugar or Corn Syrup, Trans Fat, and Milk (all of these can be an issue for certain acne sufferers). Also, some people find that they are able to tolerate (sprouted) Spelt Wheatbecause it's more like the wheat from the "old days" plus it has a lower starch and gluten content.

All the best!

dried beans are cheap and filling, may be a good alternative to grains. I have been using my pressure cooker and eating lots of meals of lentils or mung beans, and finding it a nice alternative to my usual rice or quinoa dinners.