Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
chenoya

cleansers, my opinion

Hi all,

I've been lurking around this site for well over a year and finally decided to give the regime a try. After 17 years of cystic acne on my cheeks, chin and down my neck, I've found something that's worked, this regime.

I'm actually posting however, to tell you something that I discovered with the regime. when I first started, I used the liquid cetaphil. I've used it for years (per one of my doctors request) thinking that it was gentle on my skin. Once I began this regime, I realized that I would clear up to a certain point and then breakout after a few days. I decided to try a different cleanser to see if that would make a difference and believe it or not, my face completely cleared up once I made the switch. I switched to the purpose bar which I know is too drying for some people but, I think that you should try one of the other recommended cleansers if you are still breaking out. I know for some, cetaphil is a god sent, for me, it didn't work. So before giving up on the regime, try a different cleanser and/or moisterizer and see if that doesn't help after a week or so. Believe me when I tell you that I had severe acne; I was on amoxicillan (875 mg) for 2 years, minocycline and all of the rest of the cycline family, retin-a, differin, SA, and even urine (only on my face, trust me I was extremely desperate). When I tell you that this regime worked, I mean, IT WORKED. So I hope this helps someone who is a little bit stuck and getting a little discouraged to stick it out a little longer after tweeking the regime (using only the recommended products) and seeing if it makes a difference.

how long have you been on the regimen and when did you clear for good?

Hi ttchic07,

I've been on the regime for several months now. For the first few months, I would clear up and then break out a few days later in 1 or 2 cystic bumps. Once I changed to the purpose bar, I broke out a few more times but, the acne was smaller and only whiteheads. After one or two minor breakouts, I stopped getting the actual bumps. The right side of my face is completely clear (no dark spots nor acne) the left side still has some dark spots but for the first time in years, the dark spots are clearing. If you are still having problems, try one of the other cleansers for a week and see if that helps.

how long have you been on the regimen and when did you clear for good?

Hi ttchic07,

I've been on the regime for several months now. For the first few months, I would clear up and then break out a few days later in 1 or 2 cystic bumps. Once I changed to the purpose bar, I broke out a few more times but, the acne was smaller and only whiteheads. After one or two minor breakouts, I stopped getting the actual bumps. The right side of my face is completely clear (no dark spots nor acne) the left side still has some dark spots but for the first time in years, the dark spots are clearing. If you are still having problems, try one of the other cleansers for a week and see if that helps.

forgive me for my poor spelling. I mean to say regimen.

This is interesting cos I had same discussion with Car about this yesterday.

I believe cetaphil cleanser is acting like a moisturiser and cleanser at same time which is not only hindering BP's absorption but possibly leaving sebum and scum on skin which could clog pores.

I believe The Purpose Bar is the best.

ALL cleansers are drying by their very nature, they remove oil!

As long as you don't wash more than twice a day it's fine.

Cleansers MUST be rinsed off to remove the scum and flakes.

Wet shaving every day, rinsing the blade alot, is also a good way of scraping of the scum and flakes.

I'd recommend single blade razor as it cleans/rinses easier. Multi-blades seem to accumulate gunk!

Just moisturise with an oil free moisturiser on dry areas after BP is well absorbed.

I gotta agree, Purpose bar is the best, imo!

It coincided with the turning point for me too, either the switch was what helped, or it was due to the fact that I had passed the 3 month mark, but I absolutely love Purpose bar, it's even better than the liquid.

I gotta agree, Purpose bar is the best, imo!

It coincided with the turning point for me too, either the switch was what helped, or it was due to the fact that I had passed the 3 month mark, but I absolutely love Purpose bar, it's even better than the liquid.

What BP & Moisturizer do you use Brandy?

I used Neutrogena on-the-spot exclusively up until a few weeks ago, I've been using Dan's bp too, decided to try it out. So for now I am using Dan's gel at night and the Neutrogena ots in the day, it sounds weird, but the ots is more drying and I find it controls my oil during the day better than Dan's gel. My skin is super oily, so the drier the better for me. But I love Dan's gel, it is so smooth and invisible, I just slather it on at night, it feels good.

For moisturizer I currently use Anew Advanced All-in-One Max lotion by Avon. I frequently switch around moisturizers, but this one I have used for a few months now and really like it.