Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I went to my dr on Thursday because my skin has gotten progressively worse over the last few months and he prescribed me with a six month course of Minocycline...but he also said that it would help my skin if I scrubbed my face with a flannel soaked in hot water every night. But the thing is, from what I've read on the internet a) you should be gentle with your face if you've got acne and not 'scrub' it and b) hot water makes things worse. But I could be wrong. I just wanted to ask other peoples' opinions....?

Thanks for the quick reply! :D I'm iffy on trusting drs too...especially mine! He's been pretty useless in the past.. The thing that I don't really understand is what scrubbing with hot water is going to achieve? Clearing the pores? I already use a cleanser so I dunno....

I went to my dr on Thursday because my skin has gotten progressively worse over the last few months and he prescribed me with a six month course of Minocycline...but he also said that it would help my skin if I scrubbed my face with a flannel soaked in hot water every night. But the thing is, from what I've read on the internet a) you should be gentle with your face if you've got acne and not 'scrub' it and b) hot water makes things worse. But I could be wrong. I just wanted to ask other peoples' opinions....?

My advice (and i'm a beautician) is do not scrub your face! Always be as gentle as possible with your skin! It's fine to exfoliate with the right product for your skin type and condition, but definately do not scrub.

By putting heat or hot water on the skin, all it does is simply open the pores. I would never recommend putting hot water on the skin, as this could lead to broken capillaries. Only use tepid water.

I think what hes trying to get you to do is get the pores open. (Which you could do by steaming the face?) And then wash the face to remove the blocked pores? Maybe!

Thanks to you too for the reply. I didn't think it sounded like correct advice. I've tried steaming my face before but it didn't seem to make much difference but i s'pose there's no harm in trying again....but i definitely won't be scrubbing!

Thanks to you too for the reply. I didn't think it sounded like correct advice. I've tried steaming my face before but it didn't seem to make much difference but i s'pose there's no harm in trying again....but i definitely won't be scrubbing!

To be honest steaming is quite an old fashioned thing to do nowadays! Alot of salons don't even do it anymore, because as long as you cleanse, tone and moisturise twice a day and exfoliate 1-2 times a week and maybe use a face mask 1-2 times a week, then thats the best you can do for your skin.

I cleanse and moisturise but I don't exfoliate my face...ever. The only reason being is because I have pretty sensitive skin and I've always been scared that it'll just irritate it. I've never actually tried it though. Any exfoliants you would recommend? (I live in UK too)

I cleanse and moisturise but I don't exfoliate my face...ever. The only reason being is because I have pretty sensitive skin and I've always been scared that it'll just irritate it. I've never actually tried it though. Any exfoliants you would recommend? (I live in UK too)

I use an exfoliator thats applied like a face mask, then left for 10-20 mins, and then washed off. It's called Radience Treatment by GM Collin.

I'm on Minocycline at the moment by the way! I've been taking it for 20 days now. Did you find it made your skin really spotty at first? Mine is!

Is that exfoliator available in shops? Thanks for advice by the way. As for the Minocycline...I've only taken 3 tablets so far so i doubt it's kicked in yet...my face is really spotty anyway though! From what I've read that seems to happen to most people on it...hopefully it'll get better soon!