Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
~C~

~C~'s hopefully helpfull log of Accutane usage.

Acne Type: Moderate. Only on face.

Dosage: Three pills at 20 mg per day.

Amount of time on Accutane: 2 months and 28days.

This might seem really strange and silly to start a log at nearly three months, when I should have started at day 1 :D

But I actually just came across this sight a month ago or something.

From reading other people's logs it has inspired me to start my own. I also think it will be really useful for me to start a written account of at least the last few months so I can look back and reflect, do things differently if I notice a pattern, get advice from you guys etc.

History

Began with mild acne starting at 9 which stayed the same till I was nearly14. It then became mild/moderate until I was 16. Then between 16 and 17 it cleared up completely.

In my last year of High School I had moderate acne again. When I turned 18 I went on holiday for a month and a half and it almost completely cleared up (the salt water may have contributed to that outcome) but then when I got home a few weeks later it broke out into moderate/severe acne. That is when I decided to go onto Accutane.

Products I have used:

Pres:

Antibiotics (not sure what they were called) (No difference)

Diana 35 (No difference)

Eryacne (Doesn’t make the pimp go away completely but does keep them down and then lets them heal naturally)

OTC:

BP 10% (worked for a year during my clear time)

Vitamin B pills. (didn’t take them directly for acne but did help keep me clear for one year)

Various Acne washes etc. (Currently found that Thursday Plantation Tee tree Acne face wash works the best)

Accutane:

1ST WEEK : Had pimples on both cheeks, maybe 5 or 6 apiece. A few in that area between my eyebrows. 15 on and around my chin. I also had then above my lip from when I had pashed this guy. But they had almost gone away when I started Accutane.

At the end of first week I had a moderate break out.

SA’s: My lips are very dry. A little back pain.

ONE MONTH My skin is 25% clearer overall. My forehead is 95% clear. The pimples on my cheeks from the break out are all gone leaving a few red marks. I have developed more pimples in that area but they are smaller and usually w/h’s so they clear up a lot faster! My chin is almost the same, some pimples gone but others developed

Have developed a cyst on the top of my right cheek. My face is also less oily.

S/A’s: Very dry lips, so much that the skin on each side of my lips have become red dry patches (I look like crusty the clown).

Dry Patches on my face, chest and back of neck. Back pain.

TWO MONTH 60% clear overall. My forehead is completely clear with two small red marks. My left cheek is clear with a few small red marks. On my right cheek I still have some medium to small pimple, some w/h’s. Over the last month they have come up gone and then new ones come up. (A horrible cycle) The cyst on the top of my right cheek is exactly the same. My chin has cleared up. Have usually two pimples on my right side and 5 or 6 on left which are big and hard. Have a small cyst next to left side of lip.

S/A’s: I have a very red face! With some dry patched that are white, which makes a very strange comparison. No more back pain!

I have a rash looking thing on my hands, which you can see that the pores aren’t producing enough oil, thus making them red and dry.

TWO AND A HALF MONTH 85% clear overall. Forehead: mostly clear, two pimples popped up and then went quickly. Left cheek: clear. Right Cheek 2 or 3 small pimples which popped up around that time of month. Left side of chin: clear. Left side of mouth: a huge hard pimple popped up. Also a w/h on lip. Right side of chin still has 2 or 3 pimples usually one big the others smaller. The cyst is still there but it’s smaller.

S/A’s: No dry patches on face but some on neck. Arms quite dry, same with hands. Red face.

TODAY 90% clear overall. Forehead: clear. Left cheek: clear ( one was ready to come up but I zapped it with Eryacne :shock: ) Right cheek: clear. Cyst on right top cheek smaller flatter red. (It alternates between being a slight bump to being flat) Cyst next to lip cleared leaving red patch. Chin and right side: clear. Chin left side: cyst, 2 pimples.

S’A’s: Red face, very dry arms and hands. Much drier neck.

So as you can see. It has helped a lot so far. I will try and get some pics up too.

I have a lot of red marks that look like pimples… although the redness of my face hides it a little. I still get small break outs around that time of the month. I use Eryacne to clear the pimps up faster. Tea Tree Acne wash at night in the shower. Neutrogena Oil Free moisturiser in the morning after shower and then apply any make up. ( I DO NOT USE: foundation or powder or natural glow. ) I do use some cover up but apparently that can make the red marks worse. BUT I still cant help myself.

I also have a theory on diet: The last month I have tried to cut out Peanut butter, milk, wheat (instead I eat organic bread) sugar, fried foods.

Will try and update as much as possible.

Please, please ask any questions because I would really like to help!

Hi ~C~! Cool log, I'm just starting accutane (well, amnesteem, the generic version of accutane) myself. I'm glad to see that it's working so well for you sans some of the ridiculous side effects some other people have experience. Hopefully my own experience will be smooth as well. [-o<

Okay, so I know I'm not suposed to ask girls this, but how much do you weigh? :D# I'm on the same dosage as you, 60 mg a day, and I weigh around 132 lbs. Along the same vein, how long is your course supposed to be? Mine is planned for 4 months, which actually sounds kind of short in light of all the people I've read who've gone on 5-8 month courses. Perhaps my dermatologist is thinking of upping the dosage in subsequent months.

Hi ~C~!  Cool log, I'm just starting accutane (well, amnesteem, the generic version of accutane) myself. I'm glad to see that it's working so well for you sans some of the ridiculous side effects some other people have experience.  Hopefully my own experience will be smooth as well.  [-o< 

Okay, so I know I'm not suposed to ask girls this, but how much do you weigh?  :shock:#  I'm on the same dosage as you, 60 mg a day, and I weigh around 132 lbs.  Along the same vein, how long is your course supposed to be?  Mine is planned for 4 months, which actually sounds kind of short in light of all the people I've read who've gone on 5-8 month courses.  Perhaps my dermatologist is thinking of upping the dosage in subsequent months.

Thank you! :shock:

I know the side affects seem a little tediously silly. Although i would prefer peeling arms then a pimply face! :D

I hope your experience is smooth too! Can I ask what the difference is between amnesteem and accutane, if there is any?

:D Well i suppose since i'll never see you, i can tell you my weight :D:lol:

I am..... dum dum dum 59 kg :lol:

Mine is 5 months. In Aus if you finish a 6 month course and want to be on it again, you actually have to go back to the derm... so maybe their's seem longer because they have started the couse again...

Perhaps your acne is not extreme enough to need as long a course as 6-8 months ?

Thanks for your comments! :D

I'm pretty upset, my forehead has been completely clear over the last few months, and this huge cyst had to pop up today. Grrr.

I was also walking past the Health food shop the other day and saw an ad for a acne treatment (spec. for cystic acne) In light of my new friend forehead cyst, I think I'll go back and find out more info! :D

Ummm today skin in fairly good. I really want to get some red mark treatment so i dont have to spend so long trying to cover them up! #-o

Hi ~C~!

The difference between amnesteem and accutane is that amnesteen is a generic brand and thus cheaper. The active ingredient is still isotrenitoin, the vitamin A derivative. The differences, chemically, are just whatever the tablets are made up of in order to contain isotrenitoin but their effect should be the same.

I hope we both have clear skin by the end of treatment! [-o<

Hi ~C~!

The difference between amnesteem and accutane is that amnesteen is a generic brand and thus cheaper.  The active ingredient is still isotrenitoin, the vitamin A derivative.  The differences, chemically, are just whatever the tablets are made up of in order to contain isotrenitoin but their effect should be the same.

I hope we both have clear skin by the end of treatment!  [-o<

Oh I see. It's strange so many people wouldnt be able to afford a full accutane treatment, yet there is a cheaper version out there, that of course we just arnt made aware of!

I hope you have just as much success of amnesteem! And perosnally i think half of it's mental so keep positive!

Is it vit A that we are not supposed to take when we are on accutane/amnesteem?

MONTH 3/DAY 3

That cyst that popped up on my forehead has reduced it's size fairly rapidly!

I still have the remains of the cyst on my right upper cheek. Its been months and it just doesnt seem to want to go away!

My chin, which has always been the most badly affected, is looking pretty good. There are few pimples scattered around.

Some of them are dispersing through the fact that they are so dry. Although the downside is sometimes they bleed a tiny bit if they crack.

Something else that is dispersing is my side affects. My lips are 90% less dry then they were at their worst. And the only other thing i get is a slight rash on hands and arms, and a little blush in the face.

The thing i'm most worried about are the red marks. While most of my pimples have cleared up my self confidence is still not fantastic because of these marks.

My dream is that one day I can just wake up, have a shower and run out of the house and have perfect looking skin without cover up, make up etc.

Yes. Eating extra vitamin A might make the side effects worse and can damage your liver. Stay away!

Oh I see. It's strange so many people wouldnt be able to afford a full accutane treatment, yet there is a cheaper version out there, that of course we just arnt made aware of! 

I hope you have just as much success of amnesteem! And perosnally i think  half of it's mental so keep positive!

Is it vit A that we are not supposed to take when we are on accutane/amnesteem?

Yes.  Eating extra vitamin A might make the side effects worse and can damage your liver.  Stay away!

Tah, i always get mixed up with vit A and vit E! :D

MONTH 3/ DAY 11

The cyst on my forhead has gone down. It's taking so damn long to heal tho'. Has anyone else found this on Accutane?

It's that time of the month and i was expecting a break out, but it's been quite good, with only 2 or 3 pimples popping up. Although the red marks on my face seem to be more defined and I look all blotchy and yuk.

Over the last week I have had a few pimples come up and go down, but there are still like 5 pimples that have just refused to heal! One day a pimp may be smaller the next bigger again, and so on. Has anyone else experienced this, or know what to do about it?

Now on my face i have about 9 pimples, many small.

SIDE AFFFECTS: Right about 4 my face turnes bright red. I think this is also attributed to the fact that it's nearing the end of a long stressfull day...

It looks like I have pander eyes because the area around my eyes stays white! :evil:

My arms have been fairly dry. Bleach accidentaly got alll over them and my arms came up in a rash straight away. They also burned and i had to run them under cold water for a while. So my advice dont go near it!

My lips have been great, a tiny bit dry but they dont crack like they did.

Oh I have had a horrible last few days.

On Wedneday these two huge pimples popped up in like a few hours, in the same spots where i had just gotten rid of pimples. :D

They were cysty type pimples but then turned into huge w/h's. And then the next day two more cyst's came up (which hurt like hell) And another pimple on my cheek.

I have been so depressed, I really thought that the breakouts were finished since all I have been getting is random pimples.

It also makes me wonder what my skin will be like when i finish my prescription. I dont want to start again. :D

I was feeling so good about my self and now all the horrible self-confidence problems are all flooding back.

Hmm I needed to get that out.

Don't get too down, C. Accutane does take awhile to work, and can keep working after you go off of it at the end of treatment. I thought I would be the first unsuccessful user of the drug, but by the end of treatment I was happy with the results. I know how discouraging the red marks can be but they do go away (completely; they are not scars)! Try taking some vitamin E capsules on a daily basis, or (better yet) eating lots of foods with vitamin E. That can help a lot. In the meantime, would applying loose powder to you face (instead of cover-up, or in addition to it) aggravate your skin? I find it makes a big difference and doesnt break me out. Wearing sun screen protects the red marks from further damage and aids in rapid disappearance!

Good luck, and don't worry: it will heal!

~C~

DO NOT get discouraged. Accutane doesn't even begin to work in some people until they are finished with the course. I know it's frustrating, but you've come so far! I just started Accutane 4 weeks ago because it worked so well for my neighbor, but he didn't clear up completely until he was off the standard 20 week course. Vitamin E really does help with red marks. I take 800 I.U.'s of it each day. (A 400 I.U. geltab in the morning and one at night) Don't go above that though because 800 is the max you can take in one day. It takes time for your body to really start using it, but if you're dedicated to taking it, you'll notice that your red marks heal much faster than they did before!

How bad would you say your acne is? (Where do you get it? All over the face, or just in one concentrated spot? Do you get it on areas other than your face? etc...) I'm just curious. I'm only taking 40mg a day right now, but I go back to my derm on Monday, and I think he's increasing it to 60...

One more question: Did you get the initial outbreak? i did, and it was awful! No one else that I talked to personally said they got it. I was just wondering if I was one of the lucky ones...:)

~Allison/Tennessee,US

I had an initial breakout. Maybe it's me but the acne you get under accutane is like ten thousand times more painful than the non-accutane'd acne. It was pretty bad for me as well, though appearance-wise I've had worse. Feelings-wise, in terms of tightness and pain, the inital breakout was probably the worst. I guess it felt a lot worse than it actually looked.

Anyways, hang in there C. Eat vitamin E to help lessen the red marks, and remember, your skin is supposed to continue improvement for a few months AFTER you stop accutane!

Don't get too down, C.  Accutane does take awhile to work, and can keep working after you go off of it at the end of treatment.  I thought I would be the first unsuccessful user of the drug, but by the end of treatment I was happy with the results.  I know how discouraging the red marks can be but they do go away (completely; they are not scars)!  Try taking some vitamin E capsules on a daily basis, or (better yet) eating lots of foods with vitamin E.  That can help a lot.  In the meantime, would applying loose powder to you face (instead of cover-up, or in addition to it) aggravate your skin?  I find it makes a big difference and doesnt break me out.  Wearing sun screen protects the red marks from further damage and aids in rapid disappearance!  

Good luck, and don't worry:  it will heal!

Thanks! I think i was really discouraged that it wouldn't work, as two friends had been on it, but at the completion all their acne came back. i guess all i can do is wait and see. Wow I thought the same thing, everyone would think that at some time i guess, but in the end i have only ever read about ppl with positive turn outs!

I know i shoudnt be complaining about the red marks, I mean in retrospect they arn't deep holes or even pin point scarring. I have had two or three red marks for like 2 years, where new pimples must be continuing to form on. It just that I have very fair skin so everythingggg shows up!

Thanks! I might go down to the local Health food store and check out Vit E! Its never going to hurt to try! Do you take it? If so what dosage would you recommend, and do you know some foods that contain it?

I have never applied loose powder, besides natural glow (a few years ago) so im worried i would make it look obvious etc... I was looking online at the neutrogena powder. Maybe I should also have a closer look at that too... I also have sunscreen in the cover-up, but I suspect your right, it probably does aggravate the pimples or whatever and causing darker red marks. :) Cant live without it at the moment though.

Thanks for all your help and info! *hug* And the luck might be on my side since I havent had any more pimples since that outbreak. :)

~C~

DO NOT get discouraged. Accutane doesn't even begin to work in some people until  they are finished with the course. I know it's frustrating, but you've come so far! I just started Accutane 4 weeks ago because it worked so well for my neighbor, but he didn't clear up completely until he was off the standard 20 week course. Vitamin E really does help with red marks. I take 800 I.U.'s of it each day. (A 400 I.U. geltab in the morning and one at night) Don't go above that though because 800 is the max you can take in one day. It takes time for your body to really start using it, but if you're dedicated to taking it, you'll notice that your red marks heal much faster than they did before!  

How bad would you say your acne is? (Where do you get it? All over the face, or just in one concentrated spot? Do you get it on areas other than your face? etc...) I'm just curious. I'm only taking 40mg a day right now, but I go back to my derm on Monday, and I think he's increasing it to 60...

One more question: Did you get the initial outbreak? i did, and it was awful! No one else that I talked to personally said they got it. I was just wondering if I was one of the lucky ones...:)

~Allison/Tennessee,US

Thanks to your messages I wont! If it works it works if it doesnt then maybe i'll try something else. I think I was so worried because my skin had been doing really well for like 5 weeks with only a few tiny pimples here and there. And then all of a sudden BANG a breakout.

How is the Accutane going for you so far? How have the Vit E's been for you, did you see a dramatic difference or did it take time? Did you find that you had an initial breakout at the start?

It so funny my pill count seems to be going up every day with peoples recommendations! :(

Right at this moment in time my skin is very mild. Before accutane it was moderate (I considered it severe! :lol: )

Before, i was getting it nearly all over the face, i didnt have it on the jaw line outer cheeks and not badly on the forehead. Now when i do get pimples they are on or around my chin and right near my lips... I have also been getting a few tiny ones on my right cheek...

Nope only on the face. :)

60 is good. i think the amount you can take is dependant on your body weight anyway...

I did get the initial outbreak. It wasnt that bad at the time since my skin was already littered with pimples. How bad was yours?

:lol: From what I have read most people got it... I would have prefered to get it anyway because it was an indication that the meds were having an obvious affect on my body.

Thanks for all your help! And feel free to ask more questions! :(

I had an initial breakout.  Maybe it's me but the acne you get under accutane is like ten thousand times more painful than the non-accutane'd acne.  It was pretty bad for me as well, though appearance-wise I've had worse.  Feelings-wise, in terms of tightness and pain, the inital breakout was probably the worst.  I guess it felt a lot worse than it actually looked.

Anyways, hang in there C.  Eat vitamin E to help lessen the red marks, and remember, your skin is supposed to continue improvement for a few months AFTER you stop accutane!

i know, how much more does it hurt! Appearence wise i have had worse but you now how you start to forget what it was like or how bad it was so when you get only a few pimples you still think that you couldnt possibly look worse. :)

Thanks for the encouragment. I deffinatly will hang in there. Despite my last breakout accutane has worked so well. I aint about to give it up :)

How are your meds going?!?

MONTH 3/ DAY 27

Well, I'm over my last freek-out from that horrible break-out!

All I now have to show for them are flat red patched that a quickly quickly going back to normal skin. Though right now my face is looking pretty blotchy.

For a while there i was a bit depressed, but the girls at work really supported me. I feel really silly, making such a big deal over a break-out but for acne sufferer's thats life.

Currently I have three teeny-weeny pimples. Quite a few red marks and a few red blotches left over from that break-out.

So I guess you could say pimple-wise my face has now cleared up to 95%. :)

MY CURRENT ROUTINE

MORNING

Shower

Moisturise

Apply any make-up

Take 2 Accutane pills with breakfast

MORNING TEA

Take 1 B5 pill at 250mg.

AFTERNOON TEA

Take 1 B5 pill at 250mg.

DINNER/NIGHT:

Take 1 accutane pill with dinner.

Shower

In shower wash face with Neutrogena Acne-wash.

On a dry face apply Eryacne to any pimples or problem areas.

I also want to try and incorporate vit E in to that routine somewhere. Anyone got any suggestions?

I also bought the Neutrogena Multi-Vitamin for red marks. I was thinking of

putting it on the seprerate red marks instead of applying it to my whole face like it suggests. I would also apply it at the same time as the eryacne.

It does say that it has Vit A in it tho, and i know where not supposed to have any on Accutane... I thought it would be ok since it it suck a tiny amount... What do other people think about this? HAs anyone used it in conjunction with Accutane?

SIDE AFFECTS

My face has been very red at the moment. My arms quite dry. More dry then ever before. And my lips are still pretty chapped.

Nearly on to my fourth month... not long to go!

OH i am getting photo's together now. Its been hard to find any of me with really bad skin since I have avoided photos for agesss!

They should be up soon. :)

Well It's been 4 months! Only one more month to go! I am looking forward to it finishing but i also dont want it to, incase the acne prob comes back...

MONTH 4/DAY 1

I actually got the amount of time left on accutane wrong, I have 30 days left now.

PROGRESS REPORT My skin is completely clear! No pimples! Only red marks!

My sideaffects have been the worst this last month. My face gets unbelievably red, and on top of that, when I blush I go crimson red! People keep asking me if Im sunburnt, embarrassed etc!

MY LIPS, Grrr are terrible. And under my nose is flacky although this is probably caused from the constent blowing of my nose, being winter and all.

It's funny I used to hate people telling me what products I should use for my acne, now im so sick of people suggecting lip balms i should try!

Eh, thats life I guess.

Anyway i 'm pretty happy at the moment. Now that I have my confidence back, i have started planning a trip to Europe next year and maybe working as a nanny or in a pub for a while.... I used to avoid going out side now I want to go to a whole new country! :D

Only 2 weeks to go!!!!

my face has been completely clear for around a month now! NOT ONE pimple!

The B5 is going well with it too. i havent used the neutrogena red spot thingy yet, im going to wait till i finish my prescription.

Im also going to look into a and e vit's then as well.