Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
desperatealways

Scar treatment (pics attached)

Hi everyone. I am male, early 20's. Thought I'd join as I'm desperate to rid or atleast improve my scars. I've consulted with numerous derms, but no one recommends anything as they seem to think it's rather insignificant. Look at my pictures, you'll see I'm not paranoid. Useless, the lot of them - one sent me to a plastic surgeon to enquire about laser surgery but he also insisted it's not that bad and that it would be useless for my skin type anyway. All I ask is whether some others here have experienced similar scarring to my own, and have successfully improved blemishes through particular treatment. My life and wellbeing is sliding, and fast.

First two pictures: left side, temple and face. Second: right side face.

PLEASE help, I'm desperate. Thanks in advance, I really appreciate it.

post-30334-1129948492_thumb.jpg

post-30334-1129948562_thumb.jpg

post-30334-1129948726_thumb.jpg

post-30334-1129948492_thumb.jpg

post-30334-1129948562_thumb.jpg

post-30334-1129948726_thumb.jpg

I think your best bet would be to excise some of the deeper ones with the sharper edges. Once that is done some of your skin should be pulled tighter from the excisions which might smooth out your rolling scars. Looks like you will need some resurfacing of some sort like fraxel or dermabrasion afterwards. After excision you could also look into dermal fillers also.

I find that alot of derms don't take the patients point of view as they don't know the psychological effects. A big problem with derms too is alot of the lighting in their offices actually minimize how scars appear. I suggest you print out the pictures you posted and bring them with you on your future consultations so they can see what you see.

Good luck,

Colin

yea.. make the decisions yourself.. derms really dont care much at all .. seriously..all they are there for is to help you through the procedures.. and give you their opinions. which i've learnt you should try research by yourself to begin with before puttin all your faith in their words.

I think your best bet would be to excise some of the deeper ones with the sharper edges. Once that is done some of your skin should be pulled tighter from the excisions which might smooth out your rolling scars. Looks like you will need some resurfacing of some sort like fraxel or dermabrasion afterwards. After excision you could also look into dermal fillers also.

Colin

Good advice Colin.

desperatealways I think you're looking at multiple types of procedures like IDB suggested. At least one from under the skin to help plump what was lost and one for the surface to smooth your skin some.

Scars can be so frustrating can't they? Try not to let it get you down. I think you should focus on finding Cosmetic Dermatologists or Cosmetic Surgery. A regular Dermatologist ususally is focused on treating active acne. So unless the Dermatologist you saw specializes in acne scar treatments, they would poo-poo you and send you on your way. Which sounds like what they are doing. When searching the phone book or online, use the word cosmetic. Unless you live in the middle of nowhere, there really should be a few doctors who specialize in COSMETIC FACIAL procedures.

I've seen people who had more severe scarring than you see improvements. SO there is definitely hope for you! It just doesn't come quickly or easily. But it comes. There are several treatments out there that will help improve your skin. Firts see what your options are and what's available in your area.

If you still can't find anyone, tell me the approximate area where you live and I'll help you search... :think:

Id say Colins advice was right on. However u have a spotlight on your face. Anybody would look bad like that. Probably excision, fillers and resurfacing though to get your skin back. Good luck and dont get too down about it theres something that can be done for any skin type and damage.

Peace

Hi everyone. I am male, early 20's. Thought I'd join as I'm desperate to rid or atleast improve my scars. I've consulted with numerous derms, but no one recommends anything as they seem to think it's rather insignificant. Look at my pictures, you'll see I'm not paranoid. Useless, the lot of them - one sent me to a plastic surgeon to enquire about laser surgery but he also insisted it's not that bad and that it would be useless for my skin type anyway. All I ask is whether some others here have experienced similar scarring to my own, and have successfully improved blemishes through particular treatment. My life and wellbeing is sliding, and fast.

First two pictures: left side, temple and face. Second: right side face.

PLEASE help, I'm desperate. Thanks in advance, I really appreciate it.

Fraxel Laser is your best bet. You dont have any scars suitable for excision and a dermal filler is probably only worthwhile for one or two scars judging from your pics. Go for Fraxel. Stay away from dermabrasion the risks outweigh the benefits.

Meet Pete, I'm just curious as to where you're getting your Fraxel info. You've admitted that it's a new procedure w/out much documentation, and you also come down very hard on people who "jump on the bandwagon" too soon. What makes you think this bandwagon is the one climb aboard?

I have similar scars to yours. I have used several laser and topical stuff which helps only a little. Have you tried glycolic acid peels? with regular use it might improve 10 percent. good luck

I can defintely say I have still have larger, deeper scars than you, especially on my left cheek and forehead. I think your best bet would be dermabrasion with somebody skilled. It seems to me like you have an extensive amount of small, relatively shallow scars./ Since your scarring is so widepread, a full face resurfacing procedure may be best and the least costly. I think they should try sandpaper or wire brsuh in your case.

I cannot stress strongly enough that having AS MUCH scar revision as possible from a qualified, experienced doctor should be the FIRST and most important step in embarking on your mission to rid your face of scars. I've had BOTH a dermabrasion AND an exoderm (AND silicone injections!), so I know whereof I speak & have had to learn the hard way. The problem with scars is that you simply never know how deep they penetrate or how many layers of tissue they have destroyed. You may have one, two, twenty? resurfacing procedures & still never reach down to where the taproot of the cyst originated! Surgically revise as much as possible and then MAYBE consider some type of resurfacing (depending on your particular skin type, etc.). Most resurfacing techniques are dangerous and expensive and if your scars are not revised prior to the procedure, I believe that you're courting disappointment b/c resurfacing ALONE seldom EVER eradicates scarring. There are many doctors who are excellent at scar revision, both cosmetic dermatologists and plastic surgeons. This board is a mine of information and contacts in that regard. Fillers I consider to be a last resort as they are expensive and usually temporary, so must be repeated often; therefore, it is possibly a life-long enterprise & that is why I would exhaust all other avenues before choosing this option.

I wish you all the best in your endeavors. Please do LOTS of research and keep heart! There is no silver bullet to acne scar removal - it takes patience, perseverence, buckets full of blood, sweat and tears (not to mention money!) - and a sense of humor doesn't hurt!

Cheers!

well at least your done with acne man, many are still dealing with acne in their earl twenties... but anyway, how long have u been clear? how long have u had the scars? time could prove to be beneficial for some of the shallower scars. Good luck

well at least your done with acne man, many are still dealing with acne in their earl twenties... but anyway, how long have u been clear? how long have u had the scars? time could prove to be beneficial for some of the shallower scars. Good luck

Have you tried any of these silicone sheets? I used them and they were pretty good.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Scar-Relief-Silicone...1QQcmdZViewItem

I feel your pain. Go see a Facial Plastic Surgeon. Key word facial meaning they only do surgery of the face and neck area and are specialized. They can surely recommend something because they see it everyday. I went to Brian Maloney of the Maloney center in Atlanta. His website is www.maloneycenter.com they might be able to get you a referral in your area.

Just so you know the difference, the above poster said see a facial plastic surgeon.

I just found out that the term "facial plastic surgeon" is a term that the ear, nose and throat doctors just made up a few years ago because they wanted in on cosmetic surgery.

I guess if I had a problem with my ears, nose or throat, then I would go see a "facial plastic surgeon."

Hi Desparatealways,

About the docs' opinions, forget them. 99% of them couldn't care less, so quit trying to get them to see your point of view. Instead, understand that YOU want to improve your skin and DEMAND results. It's YOUR problem, and ONLY you can advocate for yourself. I've walked out on so many doctors because they told me that my skin wasn't that bad. It's MY skin... I know what's right for ME.

Okay, now about your scars, mine are/were like yours. They're kind of rolling scars with maybe some boxcar indentations in the middle. I would suggest first having subcision with a filler substance (perlane, collagen, restylane, silikon, etc). Someone mentioned that you might need combo therapy for the various types of scars, and maybe so. However, you should do the subcision/filler route first. You really do need AT LEAST ONE subcision to initially lift your scars up. It's simple and relatively inexpensive. When you look at your skin in the mirror you probably see all these different marks, and it might feel like one big mess. That's how I felt, but if you just improve the biggest problems first (your rolling/boxcar scars), you'll be surprised how much BETTER you'll look. :cool:

The picture of you on the right reminded me most of how my skin used to look. I'd sit in front of the mirror and stare at my skin. How on earth did my skin get THIS bad? That's not me in the mirror, no way! And don't even get me started on car window reflections. I'd literally close my eyes before I entered my car, so I wouldn't have to see that HORRIBLE reflection of undulating, wrinkled-like creases in my face. Honestly, and maybe I shouldn't say this, but for me anyway, those rolling scars seem to be the easiest to correct. The day after my first subcision/collagen treatment I caught my reflection in my car window, and my skin was SMOOTH! I almost cried. My family had to tell me to shut up because I was so giddy with joy.

Now it may get expensive having to go to the doc for repeat subcision (yes, you should get at LEAST one subcision to lift/cut the scar) and filler treatments 3-6 months, but it's damn worth it.

The day after my first subcision/collagen treatment I caught my reflection in my car window, and my skin was SMOOTH! I almost cried. My family had to tell me to shut up because I was so giddy with joy.

That's awesome :D:angel: