Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
NewToBoard

Teen Friendly Anit-Acne Diet?

First off, let me give you some background on me. I'm a 17 year-old male who only started getting acne as of last year. It started out very mild and tolerable, but slowly got worse and worse as the year went on. Finally, I decided something had to be done.....so, I found this site and naturally went on Dan's Regime :naughty:

Needless to say I experienced clear skin for a couple of weeks (like most people), however, the dryness/bags/look of wrinkles started to get exponentially worse and I began looked like total crap....but I had clear skin :think: O

Obviously, this wasn't going to be the solution I was looking for....after extensive research I decided that acne IS directly influenced by diet (Don't let some dumb derm tell you otherwise). I cut out most foods, for time’s sake I will list what I eat as the list is MUCH shorter. I ONLY eat fruits, Veggies (with the exception of carrots and potatoes as they too have high Glycemic value) nuts, meats, and fish.

Along with this adjusted diet I should also mention the fact that I exercise daily, and drink lemon juice/green tea. The results -- I stopped breaking out after 2 days and never broke out again until two weeks later when I added beef.

Not only did I break out, I broke out in two cysts, which had NEVER happened before. The reason I added beef was to up the calorie intake of my diet. If you are under the age of 20 year are still developing…therefore it’s important to get 2500-3000 calories per day. Again, did my research and discovered that red meat doesn’t digest well and clogs up your bowels. This means that I had to cut any red meat out of my diet.

Now, it is only Fruits, Veggies, Nuts, and Fish. I have absolutely no idea if this is healthy for a developing teen. Regardless, this is going to clear most people’s mild-moderate case of acne within 1-2 months. If you DO decide to go along with this lifestyle make sure you supplement vitamins just in case, a centrum and calcium supp should be enough.

First off, let me give you some background on me. I'm a 17 year-old male who only started getting acne as of last year. It started out very mild and tolerable, but slowly got worse and worse as the year went on. Finally, I decided something had to be done.....so, I found this site and naturally went on Dan's Regime :naughty:

Needless to say I experienced clear skin for a couple of weeks (like most people), however, the dryness/bags/look of wrinkles started to get exponentially worse and I began looked like total crap....but I had clear skin :think: O

Obviously, this wasn't going to be the solution I was looking for....after extensive research I decided that acne IS directly influenced by diet (Don't let some dumb derm tell you otherwise). I cut out most foods, for time’s sake I will list what I eat as the list is MUCH shorter. I ONLY eat fruits, Veggies (with the exception of carrots and potatoes as they too have high Glycemic value) nuts, meats, and fish.

Along with this adjusted diet I should also mention the fact that I exercise daily, and drink lemon juice/green tea. The results -- I stopped breaking out after 2 days and never broke out again until two weeks later when I added beef.

Not only did I break out, I broke out in two cysts, which had NEVER happened before. The reason I added beef was to up the calorie intake of my diet. If you are under the age of 20 year are still developing…therefore it’s important to get 2500-3000 calories per day. Again, did my research and discovered that red meat doesn’t digest well and clogs up your bowels. This means that I had to cut any red meat out of my diet.

Now, it is only Fruits, Veggies, Nuts, and Fish. I have absolutely no idea if this is healthy for a developing teen. Regardless, this is going to clear most people’s mild-moderate case of acne within 1-2 months. If you DO decide to go along with this lifestyle make sure you supplement vitamins just in case, a centrum and calcium supp should be enough.

well im 15 and i couldnt eat like that i have to have some meats so i say try to not eat things with alot of sugar i drink 4 to 8 glasses of water a day i drink v8 juice apple juice things like that are healthy but eat alot of veg and things wit zink vim c vim e vim a there all good things to eat but dont over do it how bad is your acne?

Hmm, currently I don't have acne. But that's only because I eat the way I do, if I start eating starchy foods or foods high on the GI meter I would break out. I really don't think there's anything wrong with the diet, protein from meat/fish and nuts, carbs from fruits and veggies, and fats from nuts and meat/fish. I could be wrong though, anyone is free to correct me.

Also, eating meats is okay, just not red meat and not too much at a time because it is hard on your stomach. I don't even know if it's necessary really, fish = meat as far as I know. As for the milk breaking me out, I really don't know, I just choose to avoid it because it's not good for you always. With all the processing it undergoes all the good enzymes are destroyed, making milk even more worthless (nowadays it's only good for calcium). So instead of milk, eat more veggies, which have calcium or get a supplement if you need it.

Well if you broke out from eating beef it may simply be cow meat that's a problem, or it could be the way the cow was raised (grain-fed, corn fed, antibiotic pumped, growth hormone injected, etc). So next time you may want to try organic beef (grass fed) and see what happens. Also, you may want to test the same thing for other animal meats. Personally, I have no problems with animal meats/fats (to my knowledge), but sometimes someone will just be senstive to a type of animal protein or whether it's organic or not.

Well, actually it's not beef that's the problem...I mean it IS a problem in that it breaks me out, but the main deal here is that grains and starches break me out from their high GI values. That's the reason non-western diets don't produce acne.

Well, actually it's not beef that's the problem...I mean it IS a problem in that it breaks me out, but the main deal here is that grains and starches break me out from their high GI values. That's the reason non-western diets don't produce acne.

If it breaks you out, then it IS a problem for you. Myself and other's avoid foods that also don't always fall in line with the GI/GL concept of things and therefore, that may not be all there is to it when it comes to acne.

There are, unfortunately, more ways to raise an inflammatoryresponse via food than from just spiking our insulin levels. That's why I think that some people on this board don't do well on certain diets because they follow purely the GI/GL concept when for them that may be a factor, but there may also be some other issue regarding personal food sensitivities that they are overlooking.

In either of those cases, a Teen Friendly Anti-Acne diet can only exist if the person knows what they are sensitive/hypersensitive to. Once they know, everything else goes and they can indulge as they wish. If a teen can't have added sugar (of any sort), they eat fresh fruit, frozen fruit, dried fruit instead (if they can tolerate it). If they want something sweet to drink....tough. The only way around that is to make your own drinks and add stevia, xylitol, or vegetable glycerin as a sweetner. Of course, everyone's sensitivities vary and we all have to play around to discover what our limits, if there's even a tolerable limit, of a food item is to possibly make things a bit easier.

With the exception of possibly not getting enough protein, everything you are consuming is nutrient packed. Do you eat fish & nuts daily? Although, when it comes to a teen, they may choose to eat more fruits than vegetables and if so, they'll be lacking in nutrients & fiber (they'll know it) and therefore it's definately a good thing to take a multiple vitamin & mineral formula and bone supporting formula. That's why I'm so glad you mentioned supplementation because even if one were to eat as they normally do, they may not be getting enoughof or all their neccessary nutrients (acne sufferers seem lack enough of certain ones) and so taking a nutrient supplement is probably a good rule in general, but is definately a must for any teen trying to follow one of these diets on the board, in case they aren't eating all the foods they should.

Otherwise, I'm thrilled with your success and I hope you figure out wether it's the type of beef that's a problem for you or if it's just beef in general.

Best of luck!

I'm 17 too and reading your post made me realize something! About 3 years ago, I became a vegetarian and cut out all my meat and fish. I never had problems with my skin until last december, when I broke out a bit. Then in March of '05 I got sick and began eating meat again. I blame the initial breakout on the illness, but in the last couple of moths I broke out much more. Now I'm wondering, is it ony the medication that causes the brteakout? Maybe the fact that I am eating read meat again has affected me?!

Sorry for this rant but you really made me think!

I'm starting to wonder if beef really does make me break out.. Cause my skin was ok.. and then I had beef with my dinner.. and I got like 8-12 mini pimples and one normal-big one.. although I'm not sure if it was that or due to over exfoliation or something.. but I'm going to try and avoid beef for a bit..

Guest Cubsfan

I'm starting to wonder if beef really does make me break out.. Cause my skin was ok.. and then I had beef with my dinner.. and I got like 8-12 mini pimples and one normal-big one.. although I'm not sure if it was that or due to over exfoliation or something.. but I'm going to try and avoid beef for a bit..

Acne is least of your concern, animal protein causes cancer, heart diseases, diabetes, and all sorts of chronic illneses over the long-term.

Acne is least of your concern, animal protein causes cancer, heart diseases, diabetes, and all sorts of chronic illneses over the long-term.

What a load of vegan BULLSHIT! Animal protein and fat is ESSENTIAL for good health. Do some research before making such statements of nonsense. Vegetables and fruits are made for ruminant animals. Are you a cow?

http://www.theomnivore.com/

http://www.biblelife.org/vitamins.htm

http://homodiet.netfirms.com/index.html

http://www.mercola.com/2000/apr/2/vegetarian_myths.htm (this is a great article about the lunacy of vegetarianism)

http://www.powerhealth.net/

Guest Cubsfan

Vegetables and fruits are made for ruminant animals. Are you a cow?

Hypocrite, do you yourself not eat fruits and vegtables?

Truly I tell you sticks and stones may break my bones but animal protein causes cancer

IPB Image