Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
campfitnfun

Does anyone have any experience working in retail?

I was just wondering because I start my job next week. I will be selling clothes to ladies between the ages of 30-70. Just wondered if anyone had any tips/advice?

I've worked at the Gap for over a year (When I was like 17), and now I work at Abercrombie & Fitch..

Anyway, what exactly is your job title where you're at? Are you just a regular sales associate? If you are, basically your focus should be customer service. E.g., A customer is standing in front of jeans searching through.. you should ask if they need help finding a size. Or even in general, ask if they need help with anything, let them know where you'll be and say, "Okay let me know if you need any help, I'll be over here"...

Oh, and be ready for stress, retail is stressful.. dealing with people all day, it gets annoying. Especially after you spend an hour perfect folding a table of shirts.. and one customer tears through the entire thing looking for a size (Hence why we ask if they need help).

Is that you in your avatar?

Yes. I will be a regular sales associate. The crew seems really nice because they are all much older than me. I am in my 20s. I'm a little nervous b/c I've never done it before but I have the ambition to do it. I love clothes!!!

Tip 1...just be honest with the customers. They know if they look good in something or not. So by telling them they do just to make a sale. You will end up looking like a fool

Tip 2....be like Billy Bob Thornton in Bad Santa...yes you all know the dressing room scene in the big ladies outlet.

Is that you in your avatar?

Yes. I will be a regular sales associate. The crew seems really nice because they are all much older than me. I am in my 20s. I'm a little nervous b/c I've never done it before but I have the ambition to do it. I love clothes!!!

Yeah it's me..

Hmm, okay cool, I'm 21..

Don't stress about your crews age, working with younger people generally sucks because you get immature drama to deal with.

Ralphed makes a great point, being honest.. though you don't want to be too honest and scare customers away. Example, you're in the fitting room and a lady comes with a pair of jeans and says, "I need an 8 in these".. and she's obviously like a 14 lol, well, get the 8 for her..

It'll happen.. you watch some lady trying to squeeze into smaller pair of jeans (I suppose to boost their self esteem). But you don't want to be totally honest and say, "Umm miss, you may want to go up about 3 sizes"..nope... gawd.. whether you mean well or not they'll take it the wrong way.

I love clothes too, btw, I love shopping. :dance:

Thanks guys, this helps out a lot. Tell me, are there any websites that give good advice on this topic?

Honestly, not that I know of... :think:

Don't stress, seriously, you'll do fine.