Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
shirl

10 sessions of microdermabrasion or fraxel?

I'm thinking of getting 10 sessions of microdermabrasion for 2 super shallow and really tiny ice picks and a very shallow chicken pox mark. Does anyone know if the microderm will help me? The lady at the spa told me that the 2 ice picks will definitely go away completely,but the pox mark can only be improved.

also, i've been looking into Fraxel. The Fraxel could probably make the 2 ice picks go away for sure, but not sure about the pox mark. I really hope that it can. Should i go for a consultation with Dr.Rokhsar in NYC for Fraxel? the consultation costs $100, but the $100 will go towards the procedure if i decide to get it.

What do you guys think I should do? Thanks.

Both procedures are fairly new so they are still somewhat experimental. Microdermabrasion first started in Italy in the late 1990s then spread around the world. Theoretically microdermabrasion is much more superficial than Fraxel and should therefore be less effective but a guy recently posted some pics which he said showed his scars had gone after only two microdermabrasions. Whether or not the improvement is due to swelling or inflammation only another 6-12 months time will tell. No harm in trying the less expensive microdermabrasion before trying more expensive fraxel.

A spa can not get the same equipment as a doctors office, atleast thats what I read... plus what I got isnt a regular microderm...

My advice is don't get it done at a spa... go to a derm that does power peel.. and that will only concetrate on the scars really aggressive (I scabbed for over a week each time I got this done to my scars, I have 2/3 more treatments to go, and no its not due to swelling.. lol overtime after the procedure the scars I have/had get smaller and smaller.. )

There is a huge difference between the usual microdermabrasion you get from a spa (lightly buffed skin that may get slightly pink for an hour or so, no change in scars at all) and the "deep" version that only a doctor can do. I've had both, in the same doctor's office. I had a series of 8 microdermabrasions that made my skin look better and cleaner in general but had no effect on my scarred areas (about 20 small icepicks concentrated in two areas on my cheeks). I then had a deep microdermabrasion which, like the real dermabrasion, requires several days of downtime, because it truly gets down deep and leaves you a bloody, oozy mess. It looks almost exactly like the pictures I've seen posted here of post-dermabrasion, although technically I guess it's not quite as deep. My plastic surgeon also does dermabrasion but says he prefers the deep Micro because it gives him better control. The regular microdermabrasion, performed by a nurse, cost about $100 a session, the deep version performed by the doctor was $900.

I had my first deep micro 8 months ago and while it didn't get rid of my icepicks, it softened them quite a bit and the smallest and most shallow two or three became virtually unnoticeable. Two and a half months ago, I had my icepicks punch elevated by Dr. Y in New Orleans. Of course, the horrible hurricane made it impossible for me to schedule a dermabrasion in the recommended 3-10 week post-punch time period. My punch floats were very successful. Out of 20, about 10 were perfectly level, 5 were slightly elevated, and 5 or so didn't quite fill in the scar, like they were islands in a tiny sea. The only problem was that the seams of all the punches still showed, even with pretty heavy makeup. I can best describe it like this- they were like puzzle pieces that fit exactly but the edges were still very obvious.

Six days ago, I had another deep microdermabrasion with my original plastic surgeon. He did both my cheeks, which included all the punched areas. For the first three days, I just oozed and crusted and was blood red, although the actual bleeding wasn't too bad. Days four and five were better, and I peeled like mad. Yesterday, my skin was just deep pink but able to be covered with a little makeup. The deep micro has eradicated the lines of all my floats. I don't mean that the color has become normal, because the floated areas are all still clearly darker, but the indented outlines are gone. Out of the original 20 scars, I now have just four small ones. I'm still healing, perhaps some of the improvement will be gone with the swelling, but I'm not very swollen and after more than a decade of treatments, I can pretty much tell which improvements are illusions. After coming this far, I will likely have another deep micro to take care of the remaining scars in a few months.

I have before pictures but will wait until I've healed a bit more to take the after photos. This is just my experience, of course, but for people who want punch floats, but are wary of the intensity of dermabrasion, then a deep micro-d appears to be a very good option, especially if your floats are concentrated in small areas. Just wish more doctors knew how to do punch floats. My plastic surgeon admired the work of Dr. Y but had never done such a procedure himself and didn't know of any doctors who did.

Correct me if Im wrong but isnt microderm too superficial to remove scars outright and so the skin thickening must come progressively over up to 10 treatments so thats approximately 30 months given new collagen takes months to grow. You had 2 microderms and it removed your scars over what time period? Good luck if all your scars are gone all of us are just trying to figure out how and why. Your Doc should publish your results in a medical journal. My Doc has a Duo-Medic Diamond Microderm System dont know why he just spent big dollars on a new Fraxel if the microderm is so good.

IPB Image

if you can explain to me how this is just like a regular micro by all means do..

IPB Image

and I never said all my scars are gone.. read my posts look at my pics then maybe u can make a better comment..

There is a huge difference between the usual microdermabrasion you get from a spa (lightly buffed skin that may get slightly pink for an hour or so, no change in scars at all) and the "deep" version that only a doctor can do. I've had both, in the same doctor's office. I had a series of 8 microdermabrasions that made my skin look better and cleaner in general but had no effect on my scarred areas (about 20 small icepicks concentrated in two areas on my cheeks). I then had a deep microdermabrasion which, like the real dermabrasion, requires several days of downtime, because it truly gets down deep and leaves you a bloody, oozy mess. It looks almost exactly like the pictures I've seen posted here of post-dermabrasion, although technically I guess it's not quite as deep. My plastic surgeon also does dermabrasion but says he prefers the deep Micro because it gives him better control. The regular microdermabrasion, performed by a nurse, cost about $100 a session, the deep version performed by the doctor was $900.

I had my first deep micro 8 months ago and while it didn't get rid of my icepicks, it softened them quite a bit and the smallest and most shallow two or three became virtually unnoticeable. Two and a half months ago, I had my icepicks punch elevated by Dr. Y in New Orleans. Of course, the horrible hurricane made it impossible for me to schedule a dermabrasion in the recommended 3-10 week post-punch time period. My punch floats were very successful. Out of 20, about 10 were perfectly level, 5 were slightly elevated, and 5 or so didn't quite fill in the scar, like they were islands in a tiny sea. The only problem was that the seams of all the punches still showed, even with pretty heavy makeup. I can best describe it like this- they were like puzzle pieces that fit exactly but the edges were still very obvious.

Six days ago, I had another deep microdermabrasion with my original plastic surgeon. He did both my cheeks, which included all the punched areas. For the first three days, I just oozed and crusted and was blood red, although the actual bleeding wasn't too bad. Days four and five were better, and I peeled like mad. Yesterday, my skin was just deep pink but able to be covered with a little makeup. The deep micro has eradicated the lines of all my floats. I don't mean that the color has become normal, because the floated areas are all still clearly darker, but the indented outlines are gone. Out of the original 20 scars, I now have just four small ones. I'm still healing, perhaps some of the improvement will be gone with the swelling, but I'm not very swollen and after more than a decade of treatments, I can pretty much tell which improvements are illusions. After coming this far, I will likely have another deep micro to take care of the remaining scars in a few months.

I have before pictures but will wait until I've healed a bit more to take the after photos. This is just my experience, of course, but for people who want punch floats, but are wary of the intensity of dermabrasion, then a deep micro-d appears to be a very good option, especially if your floats are concentrated in small areas. Just wish more doctors knew how to do punch floats. My plastic surgeon admired the work of Dr. Y but had never done such a procedure himself and didn't know of any doctors who did.

thats great to hear that your scars are better. So your not going to have the dermabrasion done now right since your skin is so much better. Im thinking that more docs will begin doing the deep micro since it yields great results. Pete this is almost like a spot dermabrasion just over the scars and not as deep. At least thats what my doctor told me when I brought in MAgnetics before & afters. WHen I looked up the powerpeel I ended up finding out that almost every microderm machine comes in a regular and a medical grade. This is a medical grade microderm not a spa version.

bluebluegirl,

Did the derm just abrade each icepick deep or did he abrade your whole check real deep.

Colin

My first deep micro was more of a spot treatment and the doctor treated several of my worst icepicks to see what kind of results I would get and to make sure I wouldn't experience hyperpigmentation. Since my results were promising and I healed well, this most recent deep micro was over a much greater area, two large strips across each of my cheeks. I will post pictures in a few days, but remember I also had punch floats which will account for some of my most dramatic improvement. I went to Dr. Y because I felt my scars, while small, were too deep for the micro (or indeed even the real dermabrasion) to help much unless we were talking many many treatments over several years. I highly highly recommend some sort of punch procedure for icepicks before the deep micro.