Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
titan44

Tetracycline, minocycline, bp gel, what next for me?

Hi, ive had moderate-severe acne for about 4 years. With the combination of minocycline and bp gel (not sure if both influenced the improvement) i managed to get it down to just moderate acne. I have been on a mino/dans regimen for over a year with no further improvements and i want to try something new. I have many many many blackhead, a few cysts, red spots and white heads in most areas of my face. Any advice on what i should ask for when i see the doctor next monday? Please help, thanks.

Isn't panoxyl just BP?

If its been four years you should go with something strong, because nothing else is going to cut it. Unless - are you unscarred? If you don't have any scarring go with what you are doing.

If you have cysts then I say get accutane. Cysts are the things which leave you permanently scarred.

Around this time last year I was beginning to break out a lot with cysts. I went to see my derm and he prescribed accutane immediately. However, I didn't take it due to all the scaremongering on the internet. Eventually, over 6 months later, I bit the bullet and began a course. This delay caused me worse scarring than I would have had.

Accutane's best use is to prevent scarring acne. If you are unscarred, like emmanuel said, there is less need for stronger treatment.

i have scarring but it has nearly healed, i dont have many cysts, mayb one,2 or maybe 3. i asked for accutane but the doctor sed it isnt necessary, she said my acne isnt bad enough. any other ideas on what i could ask for?

Hi, ive had moderate-severe acne for about 4 years. With the combination of minocycline and bp gel (not sure if both influenced the improvement) i managed to get it down to just moderate acne. I have been on a mino/dans regimen for over a year with no further improvements and i want to try something new. I have many many many blackhead, a few cysts, red spots and white heads in most areas of my face. Any advice on what i should ask for when i see the doctor next monday? Please help, thanks.

Hey! I was on mino and bp gel. I was still getting spots, and I wasn't sure which was making my skin better/worse. Finally, I've come off the Minocycline and there is a huge improvement. I've had a slight breakout while my skin gets used to it, but nwo I'm getting clearer and I feel a lot better than I was on the antibiotics. :cool:

Hey! I was on mino and bp gel. I was still getting spots, and I wasn't sure which was making my skin better/worse. Finally, I've come off the Minocycline and there is a huge improvement. I've had a slight breakout while my skin gets used to it, but nwo I'm getting clearer and I feel a lot better than I was on the antibiotics. :cool:

I had the same experience as you. When I quit Mino my skin condition improved... for about 3 months. Then I quickly returned to my pre-Mino condition. How long have you been off Mino? Are you still taking BP? or anything else?

I have been back on Mino for about 3 weeks now. Back to clear skin! ya! Though, next visit to the derm I'm asking for Tane; I'm tired of this.

i dont think i want to risk going off the minocycline until i see what my doctor says on monday. Is there any antibiotic (except for the extremes like accutane) that seems to work well for most people?

You could possibly try Bactrim or Erythromycin. As for topicals, you could try Tazorac (people say its the topical version of Accuante) and Evoclin (clindamycin foam).

Your best advice is usually what your derm tells you though. You can't always rely on what people tell you via Internet.