Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
pochon

Mineral Oil

Why do moisturizers with mineral oil not work for the regimen? What's the mineral oil do? I had finally found a moisturizer that works, no burning or irritation, and then I check the back of it after reviewing the biggest mistakes: contains mineral oil. Son of a bee sting! Damn, that sucks. Why is mineral oil bad?

I'm assuming people think it clogs pores?

However, if your moisturizer is working good for you, then you can keep using it.

http://www.cosmeticscop.com/learn/article....EFER=SKIN&ID=47

Read.

"Cosmetics-grade mineral oil and petrolatum are considered the safest, most nonirritating moisturizing ingredients ever found (Sources: Cosmetics & Toiletries, January 2001, page 79; Cosmetic Dermatology, September 2000, pages 44–46). Yes, they can keep air off the skin to some extent, but that's what a good antioxidant is supposed to do; they don't suffocate skin! Moreover, petrolatum and mineral oil are known for being efficacious in wound healing, and are also considered to be among the most effective moisturizing ingredients available (Source: Cosmetics & Toiletries, February 1998, pages 33–40)."

Right on Revolution, nice find. My lazy ass wasn't even thinking about Googling it. Anyways, I did a little more poking around on that website, and the lady that's done all of the research also iterates further:

"....what years of research do show to be true about mineral oil is the following: Mineral oil does not clog, primarily because it is the wrong consistency; that is, it doesn’t become hard in the pore. However, it does feel greasy and that can be unappealing on blemish-prone or already oily skin. Mineral oil is not occlusive enough to block absorption into the skin, nor does it prevent skin from “breathing,� as many anti-mineral oil companies claim."

:clap:

Most moisturizers contain oils.

which is why I go to the extra effort to read lables and make sure the one's I buy are oil-free. :D