Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

ok so like wtf i went to a dermatoligist today and hes like the big huge top dermatoligist of seattle or w/e AND he said diet doesnt affect acne. and im all like wtf? and hes all like it doesnt make a difference. and so now im like stumped cuz i always thought it made a difference, so like is it all in our heads or what? cuz im fuking sad and confused :liar:

I ALWAYS thought that i noticed when i ate bad foods they got worst. maybe we're all alergic to bad foods ? iduno im like really confused on what to eat cuz i mean he went through college so he should know more then we do...

Guest Cubsfan

unfortunately most derms and Drs do not have much education in the subject of nutrition. Most derms will tell you that 'there's no scientific evidence to suggest diet effects acne'....blah blah blah

But that line of thinking is based on an out of date and flawed 'chocolate study' They gave some college students chocolate and another group a placebo. The results of the trial were that both groups developed acne nonetheless. True, but the placebo diet had the same amount of refined carbs as that of the chocolate diet.

sorry, doc's don't know it all, they think they do, but everyone is different. Me, I get broke out in big red and painful zits on my neck if I eat pork products or nuts, someone suggested I had a iodine sensitivity to those things, and I may well have one, but I would rather stay away from them and have my neck clear then to spend big bucks on a allergist . You may find that a bad diet, junk food, fried food, soda and sugar give you acne and then it doesn't, all you can do is try eating a little healtheir and see if that doesn't help you, plus I find that the more you do to your face the worse it can make it, just depends on your system. Hope this helps.

but i swear to god this sounded like the SMARTEST GUY

i mean when u speak of derms in burien, you speak of him.

and do you guys really know more then they do?!

im just really miserable an d confused on who to believe,

Derms just want to make money, so they're gonna tell you you need to take all sorts of drugs and apply lotions. If they told you your lifestyle/diet affected your skin/overall health, they'd be losing money because you'd be able to heal yourself by yourself, basically.

Nowadays you really have to do your own research and not rely on what so-called "professionals" may tell you, especially when they're backed by the drug company.

The derm didn't lie, or give bad advice, it's the truth. Acne isn't influenced by diet. Recent studies have shown it.

w00t for Burien.

Derms just want to make money, so they're gonna tell you you need to take all sorts of drugs and apply lotions. If they told you your lifestyle/diet affected your skin/overall health, they'd be losing money because you'd be able to heal yourself by yourself, basically.

Nowadays you really have to do your own research and not rely on what so-called "professionals" may tell you, especially when they're backed by the drug company.

OMFG he seemed so nice though>.... WTH. are you positive? because i dont know i dont think he would like lie. i dont really think theyre against us lol but iduno

The derm didn't lie, or give bad advice, it's the truth. Acne isn't influenced by diet. Recent studies have shown it.

w00t for Burien.

well i was hoping someone would say that. so maybe it is all in our heads and our faces arent affected by what we eeat?!???!? jesus im confused.

OMFG he seemed so nice though>.... WTH. are you positive? because i dont know i dont think he would like lie. i dont really think theyre against us lol but iduno

w00t for Burien.

well i was hoping someone would say that. so maybe it is all in our heads and our faces arent affected by what we eeat?!???!? jesus im confused.

It's not something that's inside our head, it's facts. It's all over the net, just do a quick search on google. ;)

Guest james11

Just because someone is educated in Dermatology, that doesn't mean they are immune from ignorance!

My Dermatologist gave me a "low-stress diet" to follow because he said that how the body operates has a large effect on Acne. I guess they all think differently.

Nikkolass,

There is some truth in what everyone here is saying; and likewise there are some misconceptions.

Like jazmella, I'm very much a conspiracy theorist, as far as the whole drug company mass interest goes. However, I don't think any given derm is out to get you or out to promote his/her own best interest. They're just doing what they're taught. As the general paradigm shifts, they will be able to do what's in the patients' best interests; but there has to be a general mass force in the direction of that interest that overrides the powerful drug companies.

The truth is, the derm you saw, much was like your impression of him, is likely a very smart guy. Unfortunately, he was not trained to believe that diet is actually a significant factor in acne, which many of us acne-sufferers can attest to. Western medicine is very rigid to change, esp. once something is ingrained into its belief system. So, he's prob. not any less smart for believing what he does; he's just oblivious to individual experiences as well as the latest research. Or if he knows about the latest research, he's choosing not to give credence to it, b/c it doesn't yet prove the direct causality; it just shows a correlation. So we go back to the rigidity factor.

What number4 is saying is reflective of this general belief. Again, there is some truth in what s/he is saying. Yes, there is some research that states there is no dietary connection. But it is actually rather old research, mostly, and it is based on rather poorly designed studies, when these are reviewed. The latest and best available research there is so far seems to indicate otherwise. The evidence is compelling, but so far w/ the research designs, it cannot be deemed causative w/ absolute certitude.

I believe there is a major reason for this discrepancy, besides poor research designs to this date. This is namely that we still don't know how exactly acne results ( ... and yes, I am aware of the 4 criteria of hypersecretion of sebum, hyperkeratinazation, bacterial growth w/ p.acnes, and inflammation ... my question is why). So if we don't know the exact mechanism, we cannot make the exact dietary link.

The exact mechanism may not be known (though I know of various theories); but the general mechanism is some form of inflammation. So, how does diet link to this? Whatever results in the particular type of inflammation that triggers acne will cause this, including diet.

If your derm dismisses it, it's b/c no one can narrow it down to one thing. That's b/c it is not one thing for any given person, and it varies from person to person. Your role in your own health and the health of your skin is to be pro-active, do the detective work, and figure out what foods and lifestyle choices work and don't work for you in promoting your own health.

There are some general guideline (avoiding fried foods, processed foods, refined carb's including simple sugars, etc.), but the rest is individual.

Hopefully, this will help you to some extent. But the path is long, and it's up to you to get on the path and figure things out for yourself.

Cheers, Roxy.

but i swear to god this sounded like the SMARTEST GUY i mean when u speak of derms in burien, you speak of him. and do you guys really know more then they do?! im just really miserable an d confused on who to believe,

The derm didn't lie, or give bad advice, it's the truth. Acne isn't influenced by diet. Recent studies have shown it.w00t for Burien.

This is the recent study

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science?_ob=A...be948f6ebfc5fe6 (foundation of paleo diet)

"Within the dermatology community, a general consensus has emerged that diet is unrelated to the etiology of acne. Except for 2 poorly designed studies, now more than 30 years old, there are few objective data to support this notion. In contrast, a large body of evidence now exists showing how diet may directly or indirectly influence the following 5 proximate causes of acne:

(1) increased proliferation of basal keratinocytes within the pilosebaceous duct,

(2) incomplete separation of ductal corneocytes from one another via impairment of apoptosis and subsequent obstruction of the pilosebaceous duct,

(3) androgen-mediated increases in sebum production,

(4) colonization of the comedo by Propionibacterium acnes, and

(5) inflammation both within and adjacent to the comedo.

it just says in idiot's term, that diet may not cause acne directly BUT the CAUSES of acne are in turn CAUSED by poor diet... much like

poor diet --> leads to any of the five causes (see above) ---> leads to acne. referring to the CHOCOLATE myth that it can cause acne, it is related to Cause # 3 (see above)

so therefore, diet alone cant cure your acne. u need a comprehensive holistic detox program 2 reverse this disease.. it's all over the forums and many natural cure books. if u want, i made a thread abiut the program : http://www.acne.org/messageboard/index.php...ndpost&p=694074

uh oh controversy...... well now im not suer who to believe, everyone sounds so honest. and smart. I GUESS ill stay on a strict diet? no?

BUT THE DERMATOLIGIST SAID SO! wouldnt he know the most good stuff.... iduno u guys dont seem to like derms lol

uh oh controversy...... well now im not suer who to believe, everyone sounds so honest. and smart. I GUESS ill stay on a strict diet? no?

BUT THE DERMATOLIGIST SAID SO! wouldnt he know the most good stuff.... iduno u guys dont seem to like derms lol

no we like derms. u just went to the not so open minded one. you have to understand that no matter how intelligent ur derm is, if he does not continually in the pursuit of RESEARCH and latest breakthroughs, then he will solely rely on what his school taught him. for example not all derms immediately practice the latest (2004-2005) PhotoDynamic Therapy for treating acne. They have to first learn how to handle those machines. their idea of acne causes has never strongly included diet because of the fact that it is more of an indirect cause. yes it is AND YET it IS one the root causes which has never been addressed properly.

why? dermatologists treat u with antibiotics, topicals and laser machines. rarely you will find a derm who would let u undergo liver flushing! their treatments are only to supress acne, that's why they say there's no cure for it.

Nikkolass,

There is some truth in what everyone here is saying; and likewise there are some misconceptions.

Like jazmella, I'm very much a conspiracy theorist, as far as the whole drug company mass interest goes. However, I don't think any given derm is out to get you or out to promote his/her own best interest. They're just doing what they're taught. As the general paradigm shifts, they will be able to do what's in the patients' best interests; but there has to be a general mass force in the direction of that interest that overrides the powerful drug companies.

The truth is, the derm you saw, much was like your impression of him, is likely a very smart guy. Unfortunately, he was not trained to believe that diet is actually a significant factor in acne, which many of us acne-sufferers can attest to. Western medicine is very rigid to change, esp. once something is ingrained into its belief system. So, he's prob. not any less smart for believing what he does; he's just oblivious to individual experiences as well as the latest research. Or if he knows about the latest research, he's choosing not to give credence to it, b/c it doesn't yet prove the direct causality; it just shows a correlation. So we go back to the rigidity factor.

What number4 is saying is reflective of this general belief. Again, there is some truth in what s/he is saying. Yes, there is some research that states there is no dietary connection. But it is actually rather old research, mostly, and it is based on rather poorly designed studies, when these are reviewed. The latest and best available research there is so far seems to indicate otherwise. The evidence is compelling, but so far w/ the research designs, it cannot be deemed causative w/ absolute certitude.

I believe there is a major reason for this discrepancy, besides poor research designs to this date. This is namely that we still don't know how exactly acne results ( ... and yes, I am aware of the 4 criteria of hypersecretion of sebum, hyperkeratinazation, bacterial growth w/ p.acnes, and inflammation ... my question is why). So if we don't know the exact mechanism, we cannot make the exact dietary link.

The exact mechanism may not be known (though I know of various theories); but the general mechanism is some form of inflammation. So, how does diet link to this? Whatever results in the particular type of inflammation that triggers acne will cause this, including diet.

If your derm dismisses it, it's b/c no one can narrow it down to one thing. That's b/c it is not one thing for any given person, and it varies from person to person. Your role in your own health and the health of your skin is to be pro-active, do the detective work, and figure out what foods and lifestyle choices work and don't work for you in promoting your own health.

There are some general guideline (avoiding fried foods, processed foods, refined carb's including simple sugars, etc.), but the rest is individual.

Hopefully, this will help you to some extent. But the path is long, and it's up to you to get on the path and figure things out for yourself.

Cheers, Roxy.

:clap:

psh! yeah diet as to do with acne...YOU ARE WHAT YOU EAT! science only takes you as far as what has been researched... Science makes money..diet doesnt..

SweetJade, thank you! (*blushing*)

(*bowing to SweetJade*) I bow in reverence to the ultimate one, herself IPB Image !

rentstuff, well said IPB Image !

Peace out!

Cheers, Roxy.

ok so like wtf i went to a dermatoligist today and hes like the big huge top dermatoligist of seattle or w/e AND he said diet doesnt affect acne. and im all like wtf? and hes all like it doesnt make a difference. and so now im like stumped cuz i always thought it made a difference, so like is it all in our heads or what? cuz im fuking sad and confused :liar:

I ALWAYS thought that i noticed when i ate bad foods they got worst. maybe we're all alergic to bad foods ? iduno im like really confused on what to eat cuz i mean he went through college so he should know more then we do...

From my experiernce diet has alot to do with the way your skin looks but it cant 100 percent clear you. Its will on the other hand make your complextion look very good and somewhat clear you to a certian degree. For me it took away all the color of my acne(red,pinl) and made me apear clear from certian distances. But once you got close enough to me you could see all these tiny little bumps. I think to fully get clear you have to do a combination of being on some sort of regimen and eating healthy. Dands regimen is working wonders on me but for the first 2 weeks my skin was peeling pretty bad.

Please don't take this as me being harsh, but please don't let someone's intelligence fool you. As has been stated numerous times already, doctors simply aren't trained in anything other than masking symptoms. They are taught to give drugs and that's it.

Derms literally kept me on antibiotics for 11 years straight. They never once mentioned the dangers or side effects of antibiotics and by the time I flushed them down the toilet because my skin was getting worse and worse, not better....I had candida that was so bad my life was in danger. Also, I never knew until researching antibiotics a few years ago that certain classes of cycline antis were dangerous for many people and that extreme joint pain in users pointed to extreme liver toxicity. Well duh...that's why I had "arthritis" (that's what I thought it was) so bad in my right hand at age 23 I couldn't open a door...until I did my first candida cleanse and serious detox, that is................I had this pain for a little over a year, and it was excruciating and crippling at times....little did I know....my liver was a ticking time bomb.:rolleyes::snooty::doubt::shock:

It sickens me how doctors spread misinformation.

You really need to do your own research and see what the root causes of acne are, and attack your problem from that end. I never went to another derm after I decided to take matters into my own hands. I'm clear now, no thanks to any dermatologist.