Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
BeautyBabe

POSITIVE PEOPLE PLEASE READ THIS!!!

:angel: I've decided that there's alot of very depressed people on this forum. (and of course it's to be expected on an acne forum!)

So i've decided to start a new topic about how spots affect what you do (ie- going out socially, or attending work or school), what you do to take your mind off of it, and what do you plan to do in the future?

I just thought it might get people thinking a bit more positively, rather than concentrating only on the fact that they have spots!

:angel:

:angel: I've decided that there's alot of very depressed people on this forum. (and of course it's to be expected on an acne forum!)

So i've decided to start a new topic about how spots affect what you do (ie- going out socially, or attending work or school), what you do to take your mind off of it, and what do you plan to do in the future?

I just thought it might get people thinking a bit more positively, rather than concentrating only on the fact that they have spots!

nice try .......but eh it only works temporarily until there acne is cured

On a bad day my spots keep me inside the house hiding. I could be found in bed crying! (This doesn't happen very often though! Thank goodness!)

I always hide away from bright lights in pubs or clubs, or when i'm out socially!

I find it hard to look people in the eye sometimes.

On a positive note i go to a street dancing class every Thursday evening followed by a meal with friends. I always go out with my friends every Saturday night, and sometimes Fridays too. I find keeping busy and making sure i go out socially a great help.

I always plan things to look forwards to, like shopping trips, holidays, days out somewhere. And if i don't have the money then i work harder!

I was clear last year for 8 months thanks to Roaccutane, and when i go back on it in January i hope to be clear forever! But if i'm not i will keep searching for the cure!...............................................................

Never give up hope!

What do you do to take your mind off of it Fuman?

I can't stay home. If I don't go to work, they don't pay me. And if they don't pay me, I'm evicted and have no food. :(

But I have been known to be mopey about working while having an "unclear" streak.

What do I do that's postive? I'm starting my long overdue and tentative college career in order to be a social worker. I like to be in the emo forum here, which is a positive place to share good and bad things. And even sharing the bad can be helpful to someone else.

Myself, I get pro-active. If I feel I'm doing something about it, or moving towards a goal I can say "Stuff it" to whatever is bugging me right now. (Not just with my skin, with pretty much everything) For example I've an appointment with a new Derm on the 29th of November, so between now and then, if anything horrible happens to my skin, thinking of that should keep me ticking over nicely. A non-acne example is that I hate being stuck in Uni lazing about when I could be working, so all those applications sent off for part-time work, and knowing I can get stuck into working in a decent job after my degree, keeps me going strong.

Rather than depression I just have that nagging voice at the back of my head that needs to be shut up now and again by the above method. (Be it saying " You look like ****", "Why are you wasting your time here?" etc. whatever)

I can't stay home. If I don't go to work, they don't pay me. And if they don't pay me, I'm evicted and have no food. :(

But I have been known to be mopey about working while having an "unclear" streak.

What do I do that's postive? I'm starting my long overdue and tentative college career in order to be a social worker. I like to be in the emo forum here, which is a positive place to share good and bad things. And even sharing the bad can be helpful to someone else.

You are like me, if i didn't go to work my business would shut down so i have to go! I just think of all those poor people out there who physically can not go out even if they wanted to. They have no choice. We do.

What is the EMO forum?

Emo Forum is this forum, the "emotional and psychological effects of acne". Don't worry - took me two months before someone took pity on me and explained it!

You are like me, if i didn't go to work my business would shut down so i have to go! I just think of all those poor people out there who physically can not go out even if they wanted to. They have no choice. We do.

What is the EMO forum?

LOL. OK. I've just realised where the Emo forum is!! Sorry, i'm blonde! (That pic on the left is not me by the way!!! :lol2: )

Alot people think it is!............ all i can say is watch little britain!!!

haha I love little britain :) I do things with friends but when I'm left by my own I tend to learn something new or finish homework etc to keep my mind off of everything.

Sometimes I stay at home and just want to keep away from the world. Over the last 18 months I've barely had a social life. I think I went out to the pub socially about 10 times max in that time, which is pretty poor for someone in their early 20s. Going out during this time would make me think "well no its not as bad as I thought it would be" but then I'd look in the mirror afterwards and feel embarrased that I'd gone out looking a mess. As Elsewhere said, I moped around a lot too. Whilst you're suffering acne you can only take your mind off it temporarily, but I suppose it is at least a brief respite. I'd sit in and watch comedy DVDs mostly to make me laugh and cheer me up a bit. Thats about all I could do to take my mind off it. I'd sleep a lot as well when I was feeling really bad, just come in and have dinner then go to sleep for a couple of hours, wake up, have a wash and then go back to bed for a nights sleep. I wasn't happy with the way I was living life But, thankfully after a long time my acne has got much better and I've been out several times over the last month and am starting to enjoy life again.

Nice topic Carlie! I struggle to find ways to take my mind off acne, for me its virtually impossible. All i ever wanted was to clear up and be with my girlfriend feeling comfortable. Acne stopped me from doing that. I play football, snooker, watch tv, play video games, it takes my mind off it a little but the thoughts are always there. Its ruined everything for me, my future dreams are now over. I had the most gorgeous girlfriend any guy could wish for and i lost her because i was so self obsessed. I just felt ugly, my acne would never go away. I didnt want her to see me look so disgusting. Now im trying to rebuild my life, getting back my old friends, continuing to fight this shit. Its getting so hard for me, the stress is unbearable and thats why i think im breaking out so badly lately. Im going see the dermo next week, im hoping no actually im praying he can help me. Maybe one day i can try to regain my dreams, once this shit goes away if it ever does. I just hope then it isnt too late...

Sometimes I stay at home and just want to keep away from the world. Over the last 18 months I've barely had a social life. I think I went out to the pub socially about 10 times max in that time, which is pretty poor for someone in their early 20s. Going out during this time would make me think "well no its not as bad as I thought it would be" but then I'd look in the mirror afterwards and feel embarrased that I'd gone out looking a mess. As Elsewhere said, I moped around a lot too. Whilst you're suffering acne you can only take your mind off it temporarily, but I suppose it is at least a brief respite. I'd sit in and watch comedy DVDs mostly to make me laugh and cheer me up a bit. Thats about all I could do to take my mind off it. I'd sleep a lot as well when I was feeling really bad, just come in and have dinner then go to sleep for a couple of hours, wake up, have a wash and then go back to bed for a nights sleep. I wasn't happy with the way I was living life But, thankfully after a long time my acne has got much better and I've been out several times over the last month and am starting to enjoy life again.

Are you on any medication for your spots Ben?

wen i was 19, i didnt pass enough classes and got really depressed cause my acne was really bad. i took the year out doing near to nothing for 4 months jus sitting in my house watching tv, avoidng all my friends, usuing every excuse in the book lol. my parents thought i was being stupid and immature for worrying about such a small thing.

well 3 years on i look back and say to myself y da fuck did i go through that stage, theres more to life than acne and at the end of the day, theres more to someone than their looks! so ye for all u guyz who are feeling down, be strong and keep urself occupied, and try not to think aout ur face or look in the mirror lol :whistle:

wen i was 19, i didnt pass enough classes and got really depressed cause my acne was really bad. i took the year out doing near to nothing for 4 months jus sitting in my house watching tv, avoidng all my friends, usuing every excuse in the book lol. my parents thought i was being stupid and immature for worrying about such a small thing.

well 3 years on i look back and say to myself y da fuck did i go through that stage, theres more to life than acne and at the end of the day, theres more to someone than their looks! so ye for all u guyz who are feeling down, be strong and keep urself occupied, and try not to think aout ur face or look in the mirror lol :whistle:

:clap: Exactly my point! Thankyou!

I would like to suggest something and I recommend you, be optimistic or pessimistic, to do it.

Volunteer!!!!

Other than the obvious reason of helping, it really helps boost your confidence. Unlike work where you can be turn down and feel like crap, there's just not enough volunteers and they will now turn you down.

The interraction with other people will really help you out.

This is speaking from experience.. I recently start volunteering at school because well, I need 40 hours of community service. But that was only the initial plan. Now even after I complete my 40 hours, I still plan to be actively involved.

There's more to life.

when im in the bus i close the window cauz reflection makes my face look really bad, i turn on the lights in the classroom if not my spots are more noticeable, i try to cover my face with my hair but thats just not possible, dont wear my glasses at school cauz they make me look like a geek! which is horrible, in winter i cant use white jackets cauz they get dirty with my makeup

hmm, i guess im overreacting, but still, i always try to be up and feel life the way it is ((not now, cauz i got 2 big pimples in the left side of my mouth and i dont like my braces hahaa)) =)

I agree this message board is soooo negative. Lots of whining. ughhhhh I'm going on twenty years of acne and have the scars to prove it, but even in my narcicisstic teens it was never on my mind when I was out living life and it's never kept me indoors either. Sometimes when I'd lay in bed at I'd bargin with God for clear skin. (btw he hasn't answered those prayers yet.) From experience I'd like to tell every to accept it!!! You have acne. Lot's of people do. Move on. At least you dont have one of those giant face eating tumors you see on the Discovery Channel. Guess what? People without acne don't think about it. They look at us and think "she's got acne", just like they think "she's got hair" It's nothing to them. Why would it be? You're the only one thinking about your acne, I'm not thinking about your acne and neither is anyone else on the board. We're all thinking about our acne. The trick is if you can see past your acne everyone else will too. It's tough, but life is so much better when your not thinking about your appearance.