Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
nessa

Foundations for oily skin

Has anyone got any tips for keeping my foundation on my face?? PLEASE????

I've tried everything...Ketsugo, mattifiers, matte foundations, powders, oil absorbing sheets.....but after a couple of hours its practically slipped off my T-zone and so I look, well, daft. Even when I was on accutane last year the skin on my face never completely dried up, though the rest of my body definitly did. And I know its not my fault but does having oily skin make anyone else feel sort of mucky?? I'm constantly fighting the urge to wash my face every 10 minutes???

I'll try even the TEENSIEST tip no matter how mad so PLEASE post them....

cheers

Hey there, Nessa... Hopefully I will be able to be of some help to you... I've got very oily skin myself; I don't believe there's any magic treatment or product thats going to 'cure' an oily complexion, so all we can do is deal with it in the best way possibly, I suppose... I always found that buffing my face with an unscented baby powder after foundation application helped control my oil, more so than a regular 'oil-controlling' facial powder... In fact, I use baby powder instead of regular facial powder... It prolongs the period of time when my skin is 'matte' and normal-looking/feeling after washing and before I start getting very shiny... Perhaps not the best solution, but at least for me it has worked much better than those horrid 'mattefiers' that just make me feel, well... sticky. But you have to be careful to not use too much, or else you'll end up pasty-faced and white. And yes, having oily skin does make me feel 'mucky', and dirty... I hope that is helpful. Maybe you've already tried this... sorry! :) Just out of curiosity, how was your experience on Accutane? Are you clear now?

Hiya thanks for replying. I kinda know theres nothing that'll stop oily skin but it IS sooooo annoying.Oh well, theres much worse things....

As for the accutane, I came off it bang on a year ago after a 6 month course. I didn't know how to feel about it at first, on one hand my acne was about 80% better which was brill, but the guy at the hospital said it would 'cure' my acne for good so I was an ickle bit angry at him when it didn't.

A year down the line 80% of my face is crystal clear but my chin and neck is AWFUL :). Its covered in those big, sore spots you can see from a mile off, which is weird cos' before the accutane I only had little red bumps all over my face, sort of surface acne, which was easily covered with a bit of make-up. My doc won't send me back to the derm until ive been of accutane 2 years (i don't know why) so she gave me about my 30th prescription for benzoyl peroxide, which helps me for a few months but then it always comes back worse than ever.

Anyway cheers for replying :)

Have you tried using a toner in the morning? I find that it removes excess dirt and makes your skin less oily.

My skin is also fairly oily and what I do is:

- Use toner

- put foundation on (for you, I'd suggest something non-liquid)

- put powder on

I usually have to touch up my powder two times a day. I do it once during my lunchbreak and once in the afternoon if I am going out after work.

What toner do you use??

I use Clarins something or other (sorry I can't remember the name at the mo) its got oil absorbing powders in it which give my skin a gorgeous finish but the effect only last 30 mins :cry: and my skin is oily ALL over. Its worsed on my T-zone where it gets really thick and after a couple of hours, if I run a finger across my cheek you can see the trail. Eugh its HORRIBLE :D If I keep using powder during the day it eventually starts clogging and looking patchy so I only use it in the morning and stick to those blotting sheets.

I always use oil free cleanser toner moisturiser and oil free foundation and powder, so I guess theres not much else I can do

If oil is your problem then I would suggest birth control pills. I used to (and now again do after getting off BCP for health reasons) have very oily skin. The BCP made my skin a lot drier. I would have to use a pretty heavy moisturizer in certain areas where it would dry out. Now I just stick with using a powder foundation. Oil blotting sheets are good or I just use a kleenex sometimes and this helps. Piling more powder on only makes your face look really cakey.

Thats a really good point cos I'd forgotten about trying the pill. My doc put me on Dianette a couple of years ago which is supposed to curb oilness quite a bit, but it made me loose a lot of weight so I came off it.

I'll think about giving another one a try though, I think theres one or two different ones I could try

Nessa, I'm sorry to hear that you are having such problems with oily skin. My idea is pretty crazy, however you said you were asking for all ideas so here goes. Move to a desert climate such as Arizona, New Mexico, Nevada, or California. I know when I lived in an area that had lots of humidity I felt like you--like I wanted to wash my face constantly. I live in a desert climate now and actually find myself wanting to use a moisturizer--daily. And I'm sure you know how hard it is to get a person with oily skin to use a moisturizer. I use Mary Kay Formula 3 oil control lotion. I love it. It's the best one that I've ever found. This is my first time on this web site and I'm excited to see if the whole benzoyl peroxide thing works. I do use the Mary Kay skin care product line religiously. Although my skin has seen improvement in the area of acne, I still suffer.

Good luck to you.

I have been taking 25,000 max i.u. of Vitamin A. Bought a great natural pill with this in it called Herpacinine, at health food store.

After 4 weeks, my oil is way down and still down! I have very oily but sensitive and fair skin. But the first few weeks, I had awful breakout but then .... one side cleared and the other is now clearing!

Accutane was an option, but I have heard it has side effects plus I can get depressed and it also is not 100% sure. It is vitamin A synthetically, so why not take the real thing, as long as you don't go over 25,000 iu.

Also, the birth control pills may help or may hinder your acne - and if they help, once you go off, it comes back! What good is that longterm and why mess up your body if you have no period problems?

I also went to a naturopath, which I highly recommend. My regimen is just posted on regimen results.

Karen

I have oiliness in my T zone area. I have to blot every few hours. I would HIGHLY recommend Prescriptives foundation. It has different formulations for oily skin. It's about $30/bottle and should last about 3 months but I promise you, you won't be disappointed!!!! I have also been using Shisheido oil blotting papers for about a year now!! These are great!!! If you've never used oil blotting papers before, you should DEFINATELY try them. They are about $15/pack but they should last you about 3 months. These are wonderful and they won't take your makeup off. I use one at lunchtime and don't have to do anything else the rest of the day! I think you should give these products a try!! Again, you won't be disaapointed!! Good Luck!

:shock: Lola

I used to have the same problem. I tried liquid, powder, and stick foundation and no matter what my face was oily about 30 minutes - 1 hour later. 2 or 3 hours later and my foundation would be completely gone.

I read about using Soothing Care® Chafing Relief Powder Gel as a makeup primer, as an alternative to Smashbox Photo Finish, so I tried it and it made a BIG difference. I know that some people wouldn't want to try using it because the product is from the makers of Monistat, but if you're willing to try anything I say try this. Now i use a Estee Lauder Double Wear liquid foundation and I used to use Revlon Colorstay (which broke me out horribly so I dont recommend it), and now my face stays oil free for about 4 or 5 hours and then I use blotting papers when i start to get a little shiny.

I dont have any experience using any other makeup primer, but the powder gel has worked for me. You use it like you would any other primer and it only cost around $7.

The only thing that works for my super oily skin is a primer, my favorite is Model Co Face Base, its not cheap, but not the most expensive either. But a lot of people had success with Monistat chafing relief powder-gel, I use about quarter size to apply to clean skin, wait about 3-5 mins, then apply regular makeup.

I'm not sure if you were asking for a foundation recommendation or tips on controlling oil. All the other posts seem to be for controlling the oil. I recommend make up for ever mat velvet. I've been using it and it is fab. I also walk around campus all day in 100 degree weather and it holds up great.