Notifications
Clear all

After Accutane - Did it come back ??

MemberMember
(@missay)

Posted : 10/17/2005 6:37 pm

I read somewhere that around 80% of people on it, are done with acne basically for good... I would like to hear everyones responses, and if it did come back, how soon, how bad, or if it hasn't come back and so on. I have my last 4 boxes left, and atm i don't have any pimples at all, and im doing well (except the redness), i would just love to never have to deal with acne again, ro-accutane is my saviour

Post away !!!

MemberMember
(@december)

Posted : 10/17/2005 7:31 pm

65% are cured for 1 year or more.

With each successive treatment, the success rate goes up.

As for me, I did one treatment with a VERY high dosage. I never cleared even after 7 months of PURE HELL. I still have the side effects - it's 3 months post. I'm not going back on tane EVER AGAIN.

I don't know. It seems to work so WELL for a lot of people. I must be one of the unlucky ones.

ciao!

MemberMember
(@cdt)

Posted : 10/17/2005 8:07 pm

I thought that the rates were something like 90% become clear and 60% never have acne again. It really is a miricle drug in that respect. If you can get throught the side effect, which for me are so far very minimal. One thing though, alot of the people on here will post that it did come back after there coarse, hense they are still on here searching for answers.

MemberMember
(@spewin666)

Posted : 10/17/2005 8:24 pm

i was on it for about 5 months or so! Was completely clear for the 1.5 months after i stopped, but its come back now, i dont think it is as bad...but its bad enough to be back on 3 pills a day! hopefully this time i'll get it through.

i know of a few people who go on it for about 5 months, then theyre clear, but it comes back so they go on again for about 3 months then that beats it for good!! fingers crossed it works for me!! so annoying actually having clear skin, then slowly day by day watching it get worse again...SOOO ANNOYING!!

MemberMember
(@kbrown)

Posted : 10/17/2005 10:10 pm

I've been clear since I got off it I get a very small whiteheads like every other month which is sweet I've been very pleased with the results totally changed my life for the better confidence wise if your debating whether or not to do it please know that it has made me clear and well worth the very small side effects ;)

MemberMember
(@troubledface)

Posted : 10/17/2005 10:35 pm

I was on it for 5 months, 60-80 mgs. I was perfectly clear for3months but it slowly crept back ( a lot more mildly) im on it again and i think the results will last

this is mytheory-for teenagers, especially girls its a little more likely to come back. if your at the climax of puberty you are less likely to see amazing effects because your hormones are still crazy. especially girls with their periods and all.

MemberMember
(@feiticeria)

Posted : 10/18/2005 9:16 am

I went on it for 7 months (or maybe 9 i forget) when I was 14. I was clear for 5 years then very slowly it's started coming back. I'm 20 now and I only have a bit on my chin compared to all over my face neck chest and back like it was before.

MemberMember
(@cori)

Posted : 10/18/2005 11:22 am

My daughter was on a low dose for 4 months and completely cleared her acne. After 2 years it is coming back, but it is now inflamatory (very small pimples that are getting heads). Before it was nodular. She may try Accutane again, but more then likely will try antibiotics, since it is now inflamatory. She has been using Tazorac cream since she went off the Accutane.

MemberMember
(@mitzie)

Posted : 10/18/2005 2:22 pm

I had good skin for 4 years following Accutane and then it slowly came back.

MemberMember
(@beautybabe)

Posted : 10/18/2005 4:36 pm

I had good skin for 4 years following Accutane and then it slowly came back.

I took Roaccutane for 5 months and it kept my skin perfectly clear for 8 months, then the spots crept back again! I'm going back on it in January. I'm on Minocycline at the moment for 3 months.

MemberMember
(@craigems)

Posted : 10/18/2005 6:42 pm

Accutane success rate is better when your older. Hormonal fluxuations are lower hence the success rate for complete success is generally higher. So if you are in your 20's on tane, it can be more effective. Generally if you go on tane at 16yrs generally success rate will not be soo good, but then again it depends on your hormonal changes.

And as another poster said, you will probably only get the ones that have to go second or third round taners replying because most of those that did it only once, have no need for acne.org anymore because they are living their lives with clear skin!

Dont base your opinion solely on these replies :) however i'm still on tane first time, i've been on for almost 12 months... (but lower dose slowly build up course) and i still get the occasional small pimples here and there every couple of weeks. but generally fine... i think i get my bumps on my neck from razor burn on dry skin. anyways i'm pretty much 100% clear. mild acne i'd cope with.

MemberMember
(@greenlantern38)

Posted : 10/19/2005 1:32 am

craigems, 12 months? i thought it was a 5 to 6 month course. are you self medicating?

MemberMember
(@craigems)

Posted : 10/19/2005 1:59 am

nope not self medicating. Derms orders. My acne was pretty bad, so i started low dose and built up low dose meaning 1 x 20mg / week. and built up.

12 months but overall the same as a normal 6month course of the drug.

MemberMember
(@med-c)

Posted : 10/19/2005 3:12 am

I did a 5 month course of accutane which cleared my skin for about 6-7 months. My oily skin and breakouts have returned, but are easily controlled by applying BP. I may decide to take a second course if it becomes worse. But yeah, accutane didn't cure me for good.

MemberMember
(@westsidelady)

Posted : 07/03/2009 12:03 am

Someone explained to me that when you are on accutane it shrinks your pores and your oil glands become smaller and therefore the bacteria is not able to erupt from your skin creating a pimple (or something like that). With alot of people after a 5-7 month course of accutane, it kills like 80% of the oil glands on your face. Then about 1-2 years later (or depending on the person) 50% of your oil glands come back. I finished a course of accutane exactly 2 years ago and slowly my ance has come back getting a little bit worse each month. I've been able to handle it because its soooo much better than when i had severe cystic acne but now pimples are starting to erupt all over my face in big clusters, a few deep and painful. I think I will probably go on another course of it. My derm told me its not uncommon for a person to do 2 courses of it. It really is worth it though because my acne I don't think will ever be as bad as it was pre-accutane.

MemberMember
(@christof)

Posted : 07/11/2009 7:56 pm

I was on Accutane for the first time for about 4-5 months. My skin cleared quite quickly and my Derm thought that was a good excuse to get me off it. Dumbass. Just because you cant see it doesnt mean im cured. So it came back again within 3-4 months.

I then did a full strength 4 month bash and ended that in November 2005. I had very severe acne. In December 2008 my acne came back but it was mild to moderate and only around my mouth and forehead. First two times it was all over my face and back.

As with anything its different for different people. Everyone's reactions are different to the stuff. Itll work for some first time, some second, some maybe years and years down the line. Just keep at it, monitor how its going for you during and after and any sign of it coming back get yourself to your doc or derm and catch it nice and early!

MemberMember
(@mx123)

Posted : 07/14/2009 12:15 pm

didn't go away while on accutane, only good thing it did for my skin was reduce the oilyness, but that returned shortly after finishing the course.

my skin generally looked a lot worse after accutane, my acne was the same as before, but it gave me rosacea.

MemberMember
(@sammylou3108)

Posted : 07/23/2009 5:50 am

Hi

I was on the medication for about 4 months, they took me off it without finishing my course as it looked better and i got spots again straight away. So i finished my full 6 months off last July. I had the odd one or two after that but nothing major till recently.

I used to get a lot of inflammed spots around my neck, i've had one that persissed recently which has since turned into 2,3,4 and so on. I'm at the stage now where its make my feel uncomfortable again so have just booked to go to my gp next week to get re-reffered to the hospital derm to get what i'm guessing will be my second (and hopefully last!) course!

I'm not worried as i was quiet lucky the first time with the side effects, the only upsetting part is that it yet again stops me and the hubby trying for a baby! But if this time its gone for good i'll be a happy bunny!!

MemberMember
(@stephenpaul6557)

Posted : 07/23/2009 7:03 pm

Accutane is a really good product! My friend used it and his acne hasn't come back at all!

MemberMember
(@clearmayne)

Posted : 07/23/2009 9:48 pm

it also didnt really clear up a lot of my blackheads. some acne came back, but not many cysts. overall, my skin just feels too dry for that kind of stuff to return.

MemberMember
(@cest-la-vigne)

Posted : 07/23/2009 9:51 pm

Moved to the Accutane Posts board.

Also, please realize that this thread was started in 2005 and that the OP hasn't logged in in three years.

MemberMember
(@immy)

Posted : 10/19/2009 4:21 pm

hi, last year november i took accutane it was a low dose gradualy goin up doses upto june, the first month everyfin cleared from my back acne,chest acne,face acne. well now its october an guess what my acne comes back on my face an some on my scalp an ive hardly had em on my scalp so this is new to me does any one no why? my back an chest have cleared perfectly an not come back at all an iv got moderate acne on face an scalp. looks like im on accutane again :(

MemberMember
(@a7med)

Posted : 03/09/2010 10:16 am

Hello all,

I have been on Accutane for the past 10 months. My Dr. started me off with 20mg and then increased it to 40mg until month 10. I finished accutane on the 19th January 2010. A month later, I broke out. It was mainly around my nose and around it. I then went to my dermatologist and he prescribed me some antibiotics and Fucicort cream. He did not want to put me on another cycle of accutane as he said its to early to decide since i was only 1 month off accutane. So I used Fucicort day and night for 3 days and voila my skin cleared.

However, a week later, I am starting to get small pimples on my forehead and some around my nose. Is this completely normal? I read online that it is completely normal to get pimples every now and then, but they wont be as bad as before.

My second question is, can i use this Fucicort cream on my pimples? Or are they used for acne only?

Thanks!

Ahmed

MemberMember
(@mcboris)

Posted : 03/24/2010 9:26 am

I was on accutane for about 8 months. During this time my face got terrible about halfway in then cured to virtually no pimples and smooth skin. For the next 6 months my skin remained clear. I woke up one day with a few pimples and I thought it was just a one off - but I was wrong... The acne has almost completely returned (I don't have severe acne just moderate and spread all over my face). This only happened really recently and I'm hoping it will fuck off, but I'm not so sure. It's like a nightmare all over again. I thought I'd never come to this website again, or look in the mirror like fifty times a day. It's fucking annoying, but at least the body acne is still gone. Does anyone have any suggestions... I'm not sure what to do now that it has returned.

MemberMember
(@bilotra8)

Posted : 04/01/2010 2:25 am

I took accutane for 6 months and ive been completly free of acne ever since! Mine was really bad too, and like most people have gears that it would come back. Well to all those people you really shouldn't worry about it! Sure accutane may not work as well for some as it did for me but I guarantee you that your acne will not be anywhere near as bad as it was before you started taking the medicine. :] Id recomend accutane over any product, to anyone anyday!