Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
mandala

will swimming in the ocean mess up my acne?

i haven't been in the ocean in some time, and this weekend i am supposed to go to the beach. i am wondering if swimming in salt water can aggrivate your skin or irritate your acne, or even bring out red marks that are fading.

I don't think it should as long as you do your usual cleansing routine soon afterwards. At least ur not planning on swimming in the med sea. That'll give u more than just acne you know.

A little bit of salt water from the ocean and a little sun will prob be good for it. The salt water would help to dry up and clear any pimples.

I wouldn't be concerned, just wear a sunscreen I guess

Make sure you wear a sunscreen that is designed for your face..... If you were a normal sunscreen, it will probably feel all oily then just wash right off when you hit the water, leaving you with naked skin on your face ripe to be burned, especially after all the sun-sensitive acne products you probably use....

I go in the salt water all the time. You don't see too many surfers with bad skin, because the salt is good for acne. In England during the 18th-19th century the sea water was considered a beauty and relaxing agent so many families would spend the summer at Brighton and take swims in the sea. I don't know what it does for scars. Someone told me the salt water is an acid and will erode at the scar and make it worse. I get cuts and they turn into huge deep sores sometimes. I can't see it making any acne scar worse because the wound is usually closed. If you're worried wash the salt off with cold water. Try and swim in unpolluted water. My face usually looks good after i go in the salt water and the scar looks heaps smaller and less noticeable to. I think the combination of sea water then the cold water on my face tightens and contracts the skin and scars. Use a sunscreen because the sun will darken the colour of the scar.

I went to the beach for the past 2 days and it definately didnt make acne any worse, i'm not sure about the benefits but it sure doesnt make it worse.

stop worrying about what may or may not break you out (aside from cosmetics and facial things). just take life as it comes. go swim in the ocean, have fun. who cares if it's gonna give you a few pimples? even though the salt water doesn't, i'm being hypothetical.

Actually, salt water or the beach are the place to be if you have acne. I know people who have cleared up by spending the whole summer at the beach. The salt water helps erode dead skin cells and oils from your face when you're constantly in and out of water, and its not as harsh as facial cleansers. I know people say washing your face multiple times a day won't make your acne better, but the truth is, it can as long as your method of washing isn't harsh. I have cousins that are pimple free during the summer when they live near the shore in Virginia , but break out during the winter. I think the beach is a good idea, so go and have fun.

And do use sunscreen. You have more to worry about than just acne when those UVA and UVB rays pound your skin.