Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I SWEAR TO NOT WEAR MAKEUP UNTILL MY SKIN CLEARS UP!!!

=;

Its hard, but I will try..I HAVE TO FIGHT THIS!!

This was what happened 2day, i went out to see if i could buy a foundation to cover up all my imperfections (blemishes, pimples..wat not) that would not cause any allergic reaction.

So this saleswoman was applyin the foundation on my skin while i was starin at her clear skin and lookin at my red blemished face in the mirror.

Then she stoped, looked at me n said " It's no point applyin foundation to cover your pimples because it will only worsen the condition, I had worse acne than you last time and I stoped using any makeup for a year."

I didn't buy it looking at her skin as she didn't apply much makeup, however there were a few red dots here and there that weren't noticable.

She took out her old picture and showed me, and wow! Her acne was really much worse than mine..and lookin at her now i was just so amazed!

She could tottaly relate to me and told me how impressed her high school friends were seeing her face improve so much (she's 23).

I know it's hard to avoid makeup to cover up all those horrible looking pimples and blemishes, but the chemicals they have in foundation is just really damaging. It was what caused my acne situation to worsen in the first place..but somehow..it's so hard to go out meeting up your old friends when your face has changed to the worse esp guys who used to have a crush on you!!!

Awesome. Go for it, I'm sure it will help. I have greatly reduced the number of times I put on makeup and have reduced the quantity. I usually only put on makeup for special occasions or if I go out on the weekends and I ALWAYS wash my face afterwards (or pay the dearly!). When I go to work in the morning, I occasionally will use neutragenia's clearing coverstick with no foundation to cover red areas, but I wash my face as soon as I get home. Of course, I would think that you could use lipstick/eyeshadow/mascara etc without any problems. No one says you have to look plain just because you are trying to be good to your face! Also, on the rare times I do wear foundation, I use physician's formula, which seems to be better for my face.

Good luck. I garuntee it will help, give it a month or two and you will see your face improve.

Oh, I am trying to go without make-up. I haven't worn it in so long that I forget the last time I wore any. But, I look horrible! I still have acne and now have two large red bumps that look like boils or something(esp. embarassed by the one on my cheek. At least the other is partly covered by my eyebrow). I am trying to be professional at work but I look like crap. I don't think anybody is taking me seriously since I don't have that great of a wardrobe to begin with and my face looks like this. But, I keep going on (like everybody else here) and try keep positive that someday it will all pay off. Maybe then I can go back to being the person whose friends always said had a great complexion and didn't need foundation. All I can suggest is to stay strong and maybe accent the things that are better, like your hair or eyes. So far, I have been making sure my hair looks nice and am only wearing some lipgloss and mascara. I hope this is of some help. I am 30 and it seems this acne problem will never let me be.

I know you're trying to stop wearing make-up, but you all may want to try mineral make up. It's light, covers well, offers SPF and it's good to your skin. Very natural. Take a look at aromaleigh.com. I just ordered some samples and have been very pleased. But, I understand if you're swearing off the whole make-up thing for awhile. Just a thought.

Hi there,

let me share what I called "healing make-up" :D

I don't really use 'make up', since I don't believe in ANY ingredients I cannot eat (I know it sounds radical but I have very sensitive skin), but here is what I do to treat and prevent acne and nourish my skin at the same time:

1. cleanser: honey and milk when my skin is dry, plain honey when my skin is normal or honey and lemon juice when my skin gets very oily

2. toner: pure rose water or orange blossom water (food grade, i bought them at Middle Eastern or Indian stores), my regular green tea n honey drink, or witch hazel n honey, depends on my skin condition

3. moisturizer: plain aloe vera if my skin is oily, plain plant oils (jojoba, camellia oil, shea butter, evening primrose etc) or emu oil when my skin is dry, or mixed aloe and oil when it is normal.

4. sunscreen (double function as foundation/conceller): Burt's bees diaper ointment. It is 100% natural (no synthetic ingredients) and very good since it consists of acne treatment ingredients: zinc oxide, rosemary, lavender, comfrey, calendula, rose petal in almond oil base (that's why they don't need preservative). This is the only commercial product I use (and lipstick) for my skin care regime and really help in healing (and covering) my pimples.

5. facial powder: pure pearl powder (real crushed pearl)

6. 'mascara'/eyebrow gel/eye cream: plain castor oil or organic extra virgin olive oil (I like castor oil better)

7. lipbalm and lipstick (you can find synthetic chemical free lipbalms & lipsticks in most health stores, just check the ingredients)

There! Simple, inexpensive, beautiful and healthy (synthetic chemical free)! :D

Yes, of course, Talon O:)

People in China eat pearls since thousand years ago (and they still do until now). Empresses of China used pearl powder both externally (as facial powder and cream) to beautify their skin and (even more important) internally, as a drink, to keep them healthy. Pearl was their beauty secret.

Cleopatra once told Mark Anthony that she had the most expensive food that nobody couldn't afford to replace it. Mark Anthony laughed and said there was no such food he couldn't afford. Cleopatra took her precious pearl neclace and put in a glass of vinegar. THe pearl (of course) dissolved and Cleopatra drank the liquid. Of course, the necklace could not be replaced. O:)

Pearl is rich in calcium, amino acids and other minerals. Chinese believe it has Yin (feminin-cooling) energy. Many people take pearl powder as daily supplement, either in capsule forms or powdered form and dilute it in water. It is quite common supplement, maybe some health stores near where you live carry them. O:)

If you still don't believe me, try to type 'pearl powder' in googles. They have hundreds of information regarding pearl drink. O:)

I hate makeup to.

I used to wear it every single day of my life until i started roaccutane. I thought it may work better without makeup clogging all the pores up.

so i aint wore it for 3 months 17 days yay (although i do wear it when i go out clubbing, those lights in the clubs are just to harsh)

I am not wearing makeup untill my acne clears up. so far i have managed 3 months with no makeup, it is ok until i see someone i know, then i feel really embarrassed and nervous 8-[

wow, I give you so much credit. :D I just can't do it, I'm terrified of going without make-up. :evil: Maybe someday... :D [-o< :D [-o<

Wow! Good for you brave souls! I commend you. I'm also much too embarrassed to go without makeup.

My little sister kills me... She's 24 and basically attractive like me, but also gets zits all the time, and you know what she says???

"Oh well, so what, it's not my fault, I don't care if people look at me!"

O:)

well, I'm not quite that brave. I did however vow never to put liquid foundation or pressed powders/blushes on my skin ever again. If you do decide to wear makeup again, try mineral makeup. It has shown absolutely no signs of aggravating my acne.

The only way that I was able to do it was to throw out *all* my makeup! After a month I no longer had the desire to hide my face when I went out in public.

Its been a few months now and I still do have makeup for times where I feel that makeup should be worn (like when going to a fancy place) but I now feel that I look better with a nice clean face (even if I have some acne) then with the makeup all of the time!

congrats to all you non make up wearers!

i used to put heaps of make up on myself, it only made me look worse. now i just put a bit of moisturizer, foundation around my nose and on my chin, and then i put concealer on my cheeks and forehead (where most of my acne is) so it looks decent.

im too horrified of going anywhere without make up too. yesterday i had to get this glycolic peel at my derm's, and she told me not to touch my face, so i had to go home make up less! all i have to say is..thank GOD that our car picked me up and thank god i have hair that falls onto my cheeks and covers blemishes.

i cant stop wearing it because people are used to me having pretty normal skin (thanks to make up) and i gotta go to school every day. i just wouldnt be able to face it.

plus i hate sleepovers! i rarely go to them because im afraid to scare my friends in the morning *sigh*

i'm totally with you, sweet illusion :( Thanks to this stupid make-up that I've become dependent on, people think I have flawless skin. :^o Now I'm caught in this web, and I don't know what they'd think if they saw me makeup-less. :(

I only wish I hadn't started wearing foundation when I was a teenager. I wish someone (my mother!) had told me not to. Five years ago, I stopped wearing foundation and powder, and I can assure you that I have less acne because of it. Sure, I still get acne, but it is not as bad. Thanks to genetics, I guess I will always have acne: started at age 10 (!) and still have it at age 33.

Ladies, we don't need make-up. We've been bamboozled by the media, and by society. Men don't wear it (at least most men don't!), so why should we? I admit that I still put on lipstick and mascara, etc. occassionally. It's hard to break those chains!

For me, it doesn't matter how oil-free, non-comedegenic, hypo-allergenic, etc. Any kind of foundation will make me break out. So bye-bye foundation!

Hey y'all! thanks loads for the support and feedback..it's greatly appreciated!

Here's the update on what's been going on. First of all i am proud to say i have stayed away form makeup ever since that day. I stoped visiting this site coz i got so frustrated after havin like 10 pus pimples comming out after wearin the &^%$ foundation.. i just stood tall and kept repeating to myself i can fight this. It was really hard since that week was my last week in my homeland before going abroad ( canada) to futher my studies. I had to see all my friends for one last time in that nastly looking face! urgh...including the guy i mentioned that had a crush on me..bad i tell u..but it's all good, they all treated me in the warm same way, coz if they were so shallow to jugde me by my looks, they aren't considered a friend at all.

Ok, now like after 3 weeks my skin has improved tremendously! I have like only one fresh pimple on my eyebrow and only red marks left. They are fading more and more everyday. What i use is ALOE VERA PLANT..i'm talking bout the real plant itself...i cut abit from the leaf and apply the juice and the sticky stuff on my face. My mom told me to do this as she used to have a really deep cut on her hand and applied aloe vera to it everyday, now u can't even see any traces of the scar. Seriously i could see improvements after one day!

I've also stop using BP ( only on the fresh pimples) and anything harsh, i wash my face with DOVE ( the hypoallergenic one which is really really mild) that was recomanded to me by the doc. I believe the red marks will slowly fade away by time and the less u put on your face the better. Also drinking loads of water (2 Liters per day) and eating lots of vegetables help too. Oh and one more thing i've stoped using moisterizer ..don't know it that helped...just sticking to the rule that the less chemicals on your face the better.

I do feel abit concious at times, but i've sort of gotten used to it. Everyone in my family and my friends have been so supportive, everytime they see me they will look at my face and tell me it's getting much better and i do know that it's true. I know i am beautiful and so should all of you!

Hey people,

Ive had pretty bad acne for many years now, i went for 4 years without weating a single bit of make-up and believe me wearning no make-up at all changed nothing at all, i still continued to have awful acne. Ive been put on all types of creams and tablets, the only 2 things that were a huge help to me were differin (cream) and Dianette (pill) Unfortunatly i had to come off dianette but still continue to use Differin.

I still get bad flares of acne, huge white heads etc and i admit i picked at my acne like mad, ate loadsa junk food.

For the past 2 months i have built up the will power to stop picking my spots and when i was my face i just dab it dry with a towel so it doesnt drag any bacteria from other spots onto other parts of your face.

I have noticed a big improvement and i feel alot more confident, only thing that lets me down is that my skin is so oily.

So carry on wearing make-up to the minimal amount to cover up those dreaded spots but wash it off as soon as your home. Drink plenty of water, loadsa fruit and tab your face when drying. I cant promise it'll work for you but it helped me so i thought id pass it on.

Good luck

Loadsa love

Liz

xXx

=D> All I can say is good luck to you all and I commend you with your commitment to makeup-free skin! I wish I could go out without makeup - I've tried but I just look so yucky. Makeup doesn't stay on my skin anyway, I always have to powder my face and reapply at lunchtime so sometimes I ask myself, what's the point? I've not worn makeup to work and people just ask me "what's wrong with your eyes? why do you look so tired?" Besides, I still got zits when I stopped wearing makeup. My skin is like the Exxon oil spill so my skin often tends to look ashy, grey and dull. I especially love it when people say to me, "you don't need to wear makeup! Why do you bother putting makeup on?" These are the people who've never had a zit and have tiny pores and porcelain skin! But if you decide to continue to wear makeup, the best advice I can give you, is to always get oil-free and regularly clean your makeup applicators! I agree that there are some good natural things you can use but they tend to be pricey. Anyway, I wish you all the best and keep writing with your progress! =D> =D>

I dunno, i don't think not wearing makeup will make any difference in the amount of Acne you have/get.

I tend to doubt makeup is the problem, providing you are using the right kind, which doesn't break you out. but good luck to you.

Makeup isn't a cause of breakouts for everyone but for some it is. I used to wear powder n sutff like that which didn't cause any problems. Liquid fondation was what really broke me out. Anyways..makeup is great when u're using it to accentuate your features but when u're using to to hide pimples and blemishes it becomes a hassle. The best way to go is to stay away from it first and let your skin heal and breathe i guess

What isn't a hassle when it comes to acne? By definition, acne is a hassle, no matter what you do...