Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
hollythedog

Cheaper way to get Glabridin

Glabridin sounds interesting, and I would like to try it. I looked up the prices of glabridin products on i-godiva.com, and they're super cheap but the shipping is so expensive! The shipping gets MUCH cheaper if you order multiple products at one time. Would anyone from the USA be interested in splitting up the costs of an order?

As an example, an order of six of their soaps and six of their creams costs this much:

Quantity Product Price

6 100_g_Licorice_Whitening_Soap_NGZ US$ 12.00

6 65_g_Licorice_Whitening_Cream_NGZ US$ 27.60

1 Handling_NGZ US$ 3.96

1 Shipping_NGZ US$ 29.40

Total US$ 72.96

This exact order would cost $2 per soap, $4.60 per cream, and $2.78 per item for shipping.

I would like to make an order of approximately this size.

If enough people are interested, I will just pay for one large order myself, then when it arrives, I will re-sell the items for the purchase price, plus your share of the international shipping, plus the cost of shipping from me to you. (I'm not looking to make money off anyone, just trying to reduce the shipping costs - I don't want to pay over $30 for just one or two items for myself.)

I looked up shipping rates at www.usps.com, and Priority shipping for up to one pound is $3.85 (that would be approximately four items - a 100g bar of soap is about .25 pounds). First Class shipping for .25 pounds is $1.06.

One condition that I have is that you would have to pay me before I shipped the items to you. It could be by paypal, personal check, money order, etc. I'm not picky about how I recieve payment, but you should choose a method that you feel comfortable with.

So, if this sounds like something you would like to try, please respond with what kind of items you would like from i-godiva.com, and how many. Or you can private-message me from this site as well. I will probably just order several of the most popular items, rather than tailor the order to anyone's specific order.

If you have any suggestions about how to carry this whole business about, any improvements, etc. Please let me know.

Hi Holly I am interested in purchasing either the whitening lotion or the cream. I am trying to figure out which would be best for acne prone skin that is also sensitve. Can someone help me decide based on the ingredients in each:

Whitening lotion:

Active Ingredients: Glabridin from Licorice Extract. Also contains: Water, Glyceryl Stearate, Propylene Glycol, Dimethicone, Squalane, Aloe Vera Extract, Cetyl Alcohol, Allantoin, Ceteareth & Stearyl Alcohol, Paraffinum Liquidum, Fragrance, Methyl Paraben, Propyl Paraben,

Quaternium15 and BHT

Whitening Cream:

Active Ingredients: Glabridin from Licorice Extract. Also contains: Water, Propylene Glycol, Sodium Lactate, Lactic Acid, Glyceryl Stearate, Cetyl Alcohol, Isocetyl Alcohol,

Ceteareth and Stearyl Alcohol, Triethanolamine, Dimethicone, Methyl Paraben, Propyl Paraben, BHT

I like that the lotion has allantoin.

Since the cream contains lactic acid it might be more exfoliating than the lotion.

Help. I dont know what I am looking at when trying to decide based on ingredients. I will probably get one of each since they are so cheap.

I'd like 1 of the whitening creams, but i live in the Caribbean. It's like US $32 shipping for down here. So if I organise with Hollythedog or whoever is taking care of this, and pay for shipping from the States when you get the stuff, that'll be great.

So PM me for info, if i can get in on this. Thanks

Hi everyone,

I've decided not to continue with this plan, because another user showed me this link

http://skinlightening.proboards17.com/inde...&num=1054780952

Basically, it is a message board like this one, but it's about skin lightening. It seems like many of the users have gotten poor results with the godiva products. They say they don't work, and they're cheap (as in quality - watered down and such). I would still like to try this glabridin stuff, just not from this company, so if anyone else has a source for the stuff, please let me know.

I did a search on google.com for Glabridin and got some links to other products/articles about this licorice extract. Don't remember the links, but quite a few products have in glabridin, but there are expensive.

So just search google or searchscout.com to see what you can find

Just curious, what color are your (you guys) skin tones? As far as I know, very few whitening creams will work on very light skin tone or very dark complexion. Whitening agents work best for most Asian with light brown, olive or medium complexion. What the whitening agents (glabridin, hydroquinone, kojic acid, etc) do is inhibit the production of melanin to reduce pigmentation. So, if you are very fair, they cannot inhibit your melanin because you don't even have enough melanin. On the other hand, it takes awhile (maybe years) to reduce pigmentation on somebody who has very dark skin tone, since the skin has too much melanin.

Asian countries have been known as the best market for skin lightening products since they work well on Asian skin. If you notice, most skin whitening products come from Asia : China, Thailand, Philipines, Japan, India, etc.

Lastly, if you are interested in glabridin, why don't you just make it yourself? It is a looooot CHEAPER and everything is under your control. I made licorice extract in vinegar base. The 2 oz licorice root cost me $1 (you can find it in most Asian stores) and the white wine vinegar (not white vinegar) $1. Infused it for a month (I infused mine for more than a month) and it is ready to use. You can also use vodka, especially if alcohol doesn't bother your skin (e.g. you have very oily skin). It is even better because you get more concentrated extract in alcohol, but of course it is more expensive. Of course, under factory control, you can get about 40% glabridin from your licorice. But glabridin is water soluble, it is most likely you get glabridin out of vinegar or alcohol extraction. Even if you only get 10% glabridin in your homemade extract, you still get far more glabridin than it is in glabridin creams. Do you know they only use 0.5% glabridin in the creams? For $2 you'll get 10 oz licorice infused vinegar (with at least 2% glabridin) you can use right away either as cleanser or toner. Add some aloe vera gel and you'll get your glabridin lotion. :D I dilute my licorice vinegar 1:4 in $1 commercial witch hazel (I infused it with green tea) to reduce the acid. Only been using it for 3 days so I cannot comment on the result :D

Matahari that is soooooo cool! I find myself losing more faith in commercial products each day. Can you give more details please?

Mimi & Sally,

I stop buying commercial products when I found out most ingredients they use are so cheap and useless. Several years ago, I bought an AHA product from reputable cosmetic company . One day I went to a dollar store to get a magnifying glass for my kid and saw an AHA product. I would never, in my life, buy any skin care product from a dollar store, since I couldn't imagine what kind of ingredients they put to make it still profitable for $1. That very day, somehow I was very curious to check the 'cheap AHA' ingredients. I was shocked to see they use the exact same ingredients as my AHA cream. Totally identical, except the packaging. I felt so stupid, why in the world would I spent $$$$ for a useless bottle, when I could buy the ingredients for $1? I spent maybe hours in that dollar store that day, checking all ingredients in cleanser, toner, shampoo, moisturizer, every skin care lines they have in the store. Check it for yourself, you'll be surprised! :D I stop buying skin care junk ever since and make my own skin care where I can control everything in it. I use oatmeal or olive oil and sugar when I take a shower, no commercial soap. I use soapnut, gooseberry powder and sandalwood powder to wash my hair, no shampoo. I use honey and milk to wash my face, rose water as toner, lime/lemon or almond butter as exfoliator, jojoba (blend with camellia oil, organic olive oil, etc) as moisturizer, egg or milk, oatmilk and honey as mask, pure pearl powder as my facial powder, etc. Basically, I don't use anything I can't eat! :D (do you know that 30-40% of anything you put on your skin, will be absorbed by your system?) The only commercial product I use is sunscreen (I use Burt's Bees diaper ointment with zinc oxide as sunscreen as it is 100% natural), but I plan to make it myself someday.

ok...enough preaching, now back to glabridin :D . First of all, you can make herbal extract (tincture) either in alcohol base, vinegar base or glycerin base. First, you need to know whether the ingredient (e.g. enzyme) you are trying to extract is water soluble, glycerin soluble, alcohol soluble, etc. As a rule of thumb, extraction using alcohol produce the best tincture, since alcohol extracted most particles in the herbs. Vinegar base is second choice but still a good choice for those who'd rather choose non-alcoholic tincture for various reasons (health, religion or in my case, skin sensitivity). For glycerin base, you need to remember not all herbs can be extracted in glycerin. Do your own research. If you choose alcohol base, you can use 100% natural grain alcohol (such as Everclear) or a good quality vodka. Do not (repeat: DO NOT) use RUBBING ALCOHOL. If have very dry or sensitive skin, I suggest you to use either white wine vinegar (do not use commercial distilled white vinegar) or vegetable glycerin base.

To make herbal extract, you need a clean sterilized glass jar (like the one your Mom use to make jams or pickles) with lid. You can sterilize it by soaking the jar in boiling water for 5-10 minutes. For each part of herb (don't use powdered herbs, since it will absorb the liquid) you need 5 part of vinegar/vodka. LEt say you have 2 oz of dried licorice root. Sligtly bruise the root (I use marble mortar & pestle) and put it in the jar. Pour 10 oz of vodka/vinegar until the jar is full and make sure the herb completely submerged. Close the lid completely tight. Put it in the window sill to get direct sunlight. Let it infused for at least 4 weeks, the longer the better, but no longer than 6 months, the extraction process will stop usually after 6 month. Shake the jar daily. After a month or so, discard the herbs using any clean and sterilized strainer or muslin bag and keep the tincture in a tightly close bottle (I always use glass bottle) and in a dark place. Tinctures (extracts), especially alcohol base, are very concentrated, you need to dilute it. Usually you only need 1 tablespoon of tincture for each cup of water (tea, aloe gel, whatever carrier you use). You need to do some experiment to find the best dilution for you.

I have a blast making my own skin care. I've been doing it for years now. If I saw new research on skin care, let say about green tea for example and I want to try green tea product? I just infuse green tea in witch hazel for my toner or in extra virgin olive oil as my moisturizer. I can make green tea shampoo, green tea cleanser, etc. It is very inexpensive and I can be sure it is 100% green tea product 'cuz I control how much green tea I want. You want green tea and aloe? Just add some pure aloe gel. I made an 'exotic facial oil blend' (jojoba, shea butter, camellia oil, meadowfoam oil, evening primrose oil, borage oil and extra virgin olive oil) for the same price as Johnson & Johnson baby oil that is basically plain mineral oil plus fragrance. If you need mineral oil (or commercial baby oil), you can get it for $1 in most drug stores and dollar stores. Why bother buying brand name products? If I bought the exact same 'exotic facial blend', it would cost me $20 for 1-2 oz oil. But when I blend it myself, I only spent less than $10 for 16 oz of oil, or $ 1.25 for 2 oz. See the difference? O:)

Until later O:)

well I tried to buy stuff off that godiva site and my card was rejected! I called my bank and they had blocked it cos it wasnt in line with my typical spending! (even tho I have order stuff costing twice as much from home peels within the last 2 months). Apparently they sorted it out but I still cant buy off godiva site. Had enough of the hasstles now, don't think I'll bother.

Someone found a US site selling it but they dont have any of the items I wanted to buy (the blemish pack and the pressed powder)

any other US or even better UK retailers?

Many thanks Matahari for taking the time to type that info out. I find it rather inspiring and illuminating. I have more questions but it's going to be irrelevant to this thread, hope you don't mind if I PM you with questions occasionally!

oo I've managed to order with them now. I requested they mark my package as gift and they seem happy to do this, woohoo. I also ordered some acne miracle stuff and they always mark international orders as gift, woohoo :D that should save me about £30 in all

Ok you guys. I actually tried making this concoction of apple cider vinegar with licorice root. I realize now that my skin is allergic or too sensitive to ACV. I tried applying it twice for the lightening effect and my skin stayed ultra glowing red for about half an hour. I diluted it and still. So I gave up on ACV. Anyone else ever give this a go?

yea, I used the godiva whitening cream and it is useless. I used it for quite a few months and saw 0 results.

I am not sure if the whole regimen works but the cream definitely doesn't.

Guest Tracy

Lisa,

I'm bummed to hear that you didn't get results from the Godiva. Did it clog your pores? I was hoping to keep this product on the back burner in case the Mandelic Acid didn't do it's job.

Hi Tracy,

No, it did not break me out at all. That doesnt mean it wont work for you but it seems a lot of people are not having great results with the product.

Guest Tracy

Well this guy is sending me the set for free, cause he says he really believes in this product. It must have worked well for him. So at least I won't be out any $$ if it doesn't work for me.

It's really funny but skin care is as individualized as we are as people. What works for some doesn't work for others, what looks good on some doesn't look good on others, you know what I mean.

I'm sorry it didn't work for you. Have you tried the Mandelic Acid? Stuff's incredible. I've noticed a severe improvement in my skin and it's only been alittle over a week.

Thanks for the info.