Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hi. I am considering doing a 20-25% TCA peel next week but have a few questions.

First of all, is it "essential" that i prime the skin beforehand by using either of- an aha glycolic cream for 2 weeks right up until the day of the peel, or use retin-a for a while up until a week before the procedure? and if i go ahead without using anything to prime the skin and just perform the peel.. will i still get a good peel?

I would just like to know what you all use, or if you use anything at all and what your experiences have been. I have a lot of shallow scarring and i think i can improve most of it and perhaps soften up the edges of some deeper scarring

I would really appreciate your help! THANK YOU :)

you must use retinova cream, and a skin purifying cream for a minimum of 10 days before the peel. I got mine done by a cosmetic surgeon and am very happy with the results. I warn you though the proper creams are very expensive. The purifying cream alone was about 70 USD. I dont know if these creams affect the result since i have not had a peel without them. The creams from what i know get rid of skin debris and any red marks before and during the peel.

When you first get it done the skin will be red will look worse than before the peel. The skin gradually hardens and then on day 4 or 5 you will start peeling like a snake. On day 7 the skin should be completely healed and ready for another peel. Assuming you are doing a series of peels like i did. Stronger peels will take longer to heal and have a greater risk of complication. I am unsure what % my CS used.

It's best to leave at least a month between peels. As you're going to be doing 1 20-25% peel, i'd leave about 6 weeks between peels that's if you are planning on doing another. I'm not sure about the difference between prepping the skin beforehand or just using nothing at all. I done a peel and used an aha glycolic formulation peel beforehand, but it broke be out a lot and i hated using it. I'm interested to see what other people think. I'd also like to know what superbhoy asked....Have any of you used nothing to prep the skin for a TCA peel and if so how did the peel turn out?

Hey would it be possible for you to take some before and after shots of the scarring. I would love to see actual pics of what a tca peel does to shallow and deeper scars.

You could just black out the area surrounding the scars and nobody would be able to tell it was you, or pm them. I realize that it may be imbarrasing for you but it would help others out a great deal.

Hi. I am considering doing a 20-25% TCA peel next week but have a few questions.

First of all, is it "essential" that i prime the skin beforehand by using either of- an aha glycolic cream for 2 weeks right up until the day of the peel, or use retin-a for a while up until a week before the procedure? and if i go ahead without using anything to prime the skin and just perform the peel.. will i still get a good peel?

I would just like to know what you all use, or if you use anything at all and what your experiences have been. I have a lot of shallow scarring and i think i can improve most of it and perhaps soften up the edges of some deeper scarring

I would really appreciate your help! THANK YOU :)

Hi Superbhoy

Like sick skin, I went to a plastic surgeon for 2 phenol/TCA peels (he mixes his own stuff he says which he gets from PCA, Physician's Choice of Arizona). He said I didn't have to prep my skin before but told me to keep away from any Retin-A creams. And of course you can't be on Roccutane.

Before each peel, the technician extracts my pimples and blackheads and then does Micro-dermabrasion. Then he applies 3 layers of the peel on my face and tells me to leave it overnight (I go on late Friday afternoons). He doesn't apply anything on my face after the peel and it burns something fierce! The fumes from the acid kinda tries out my eyes too!

I wash my face the next morning and then apply the afer-peel cream (from PCA) and some anti-bacterial gel on the parts of my face which are very red (where the pimples were extracted). At this point, my skin is so taut it starts to crack when I laugh or smile and my face has this unnatural shiny look.

By Monday (3 days after the peel), my skin starts to peel seriously and by the next Friday (1 week), all the skin is off leaving behind soft new skin.

I was really happy with my 1st peel cuz it evened out my skin tone a little but the 2nd peel left me with brown spots where they'd extracted the pimples. I looked pretty awful for a few weeks after the 2nd peel. Because the % was higher the 2nd time round (I didn't ask how much tho'), even after the skin came off on day 7, I kept on peeling a little for about a month. I think the 2nd peel actually left me with some shallow scarring on my left cheek where the tech had done some pimple extraction. Think as the % gets higher, you actually risk more scarring.

My peels were a month apart and the doc recommended I do 3 to be followed by Cooltouch or Thermage. But because I had done 6 Smoothbeams which were useless, I'm not going to waste my time or money on CT or Thermage which basically tries to do what SB was supposed to.

I've stopped the peels after the 2nd because it did nothing for the box-cars and pitted scars on my cheeks and forehead. Actually it didn't do much for the shallow scarring either..mebbe abt 10% improvement at most and this round brown spot around my shallow scars on my right cheek (caused by SB) didn't fade away like it was supposed to.

But everyone reacts differently so I really hope you have good results with your peel Superbhoy. Good luck!

Thanks for your input pinky :)

I'm going to do my peel in a week. basically your doctor used the microdermabrasion as a primer? i wonder if i went ahead and just done the peel without priming the skin, if i would still get the same peel depth if i had primed it. I'm gonna do a 20-25% one and want to get the best results i can.

It's tricky hiding away for a week or so, and you get the urge to peel the skin off yourself after the 5th day or so.. but don't do it! let it come off itself

Thanks for your input pinky :)

I'm going to do my peel in a week. basically your doctor used the microdermabrasion as a primer? i wonder if i went ahead and just done the peel without priming the skin, if i would still get the same peel depth if i had primed it. I'm gonna do a 20-25% one and want to get the best results i can.

Hey Super

Yeah I guess the MDB was a primer, actually it was Diamond Tip...which is MDB without getting crystals in your mouth. My doc said he had better results with patients who'd done the MDB beforehand.

Are you going to do the peel yourself? You might wanna get a MDB homekit (I think L'Oreal has one of those) and do it before the peel.

And I agree with Dazarooni - don't peel the skin off! You'll regret it when it leaves shallow scarring like this spot I have on my left lower cheek..I wished I'd left it well alone! It was red and a little weepy underneath when I peeled and ta-dah! scarring! Now I'm hoping Fraxel will fix it...

But I didn't hide out at home...it just looked like I had a sunburn and I went to work on Monday. I even went out on Saturday night (the day after the peel) when my face was all tight and shiny. Anyways, you couldn't see my scars with all of that going on! :lol2: