Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
prtyblueyes

Dove three times a day?

Currently my derma. has me washing my face thrice a day with dove for sensitive skin along with doryx (doxycycline) 2x a day and cleocin T cream in the morning and night. This routine was working quite well for about 3 months, now I get small whiteheads and my skin is very red and blotchy. My skin is very very dry(flaky after washing), I use neutrogena moisture for sensitive skin morning and night but it makes no difference.

Does anyone have any suggestions to help this dry skin? Anything less harsh then dove soap? I've even tried baby soap which was alot more drying then dove.

THANKS!

alex

Guest fatman_uk

Firstly... Your derm is a twat. :D

Now, for a start NO-ONE should be washing more than twice a day, ESPECIALLY if you're on a medication like that which is probably the main cause of dryness... well, that AND the 3 times washing. ](*,)

Plus, Dove has some kinda shitty wax in it (They call it their ''moisturising agents/cream'', which is bullshit.) which'll clog your pores an you may have sometimes felt kinda like your face was sweating or covered in something. :D#

At least thats what i noticed in the year i used Dove for. #-o

Do yourself a favour an get one of the soaps recommended here, something gentle, then use the moisturiser in the morning an the cream stuff you got at night, see how that goes... at least until your face repairs itself an stops blotching, flakin an burning. Then come back an tell us how ur doin. :(

Seriously consider a new derm aswell! [-o<

-Gaz

thanks for the helpful info! i'll give it a shot and get back to you

Ive found if I dont wash three times a day by 8pm my skin is incredibly oily, any ways to curb this? thanks!

alex

Dove soap is the most gentle soap you can get.. It's great to use. But what fatman_uk said about washing three times a day being too much may be right. It all depends on -your- skin.

Stop using soap!...Gaz is correct they all contain a binding agent which is clogging. Switch to a liquid cleanser like cetaphil and wash gently twice a day no more. If after this your skin is still dry you will need to upgrade to a better quality moisturiser for dry skin....cetaphil, avene, Roc. You could consider an aha moisturiser also..(as it happens these are recommended for both dry and oily skin) it will help shed the dry skin. But first of all ditch the soap...that will probably make all the difference.

Guest fatman_uk

Ive found if I dont wash three times a day by 8pm my skin is incredibly oily, any ways to curb this? thanks!

This is one of the effects from washing so much. You keep strippin all the natural oils off which your skin NEEDS to stop your face turning into cement, lol. #-o

Once you stop washin 3 times a day you'll find it stop gettin so oily. Moisturising twice a day will help slow it down too, believe it or not. :D

An SaraJane, Dove might be gentle, but it's also comedogenic cause of that wax (Which i forgot the name of) that's left as a residue to moisturise your face, which can cause problems for quite a lot of people.

An Frances, i wouldnt say ALL soaps are bad. I use Coal Tar soap myself, cuse it's antibacterial but doesnt dry me out even as much as the Neutrogena Dry Skin bar did, it's the best thing since BP, IMO.

But i'd probably go with your suggestion that Prtyblueeyes should use the Cetaphil Liquid, it'd help his face heal an slow down the crazy oil river syndrome his derm seems to have given his face, lol. ](*,)

-Gaz

Interesting about your coal tar soap....

Gaz ...I am sure this is not the case and that "coal tar" is just a traditional name and no longer refers to any ingredients...but coal tar and derivatives are known carcinogens. :shock: ...so wot the hell r u putting on your face ? :D

As for soap...I think it is probably ok for most...but not for skin prone to dryness and sensitivity.

I agree soap is for people that don't have acne prone skin and could wash their face with bacon grease if they wanted to. Purpose or Cetaphil is a good mild cleanser. If you have really oily skin you should get a cleanser from your derm office or something that is more quality than fat and wax.

Guest fatman_uk

Gaz ...I am sure this is not the case and that "coal tar" is just a traditional name and no longer refers to any ingredients...but coal tar and derivatives are known carcinogens. :shock: ...so wot the hell r u putting on your face ? :D

Not looked into Coal Tar soap much, but i heard it was good an saw a pack of 3 bars on sale for about £1.29, so i thought i'd try it, an it's the best shit i've used these past 2 years. :shock:

Last i heard it WAS made from Coal Tar, forgot what the phuck a carcinogenic is so... umm... yeah, whatever, it's working. :-s

As for soap...I think it is probably ok for most...but not for skin prone to dryness and sensitivity.

Ummm... that's me. I think you picked the wrong soaps in the past. Only ones that ever worked for me were...

Dove... but that left a residue an made my skin sweat in a weird way, even when i wasnt hot.

Neutrogena Dry Skin bar Was good, but slightly drying, tho that was also, in my opinion, down to shaving every day. Which definately helps... but not if you're acne free with jus some redmarks left.

An now, this Coal Tar stuff. Which works dam well.

I also tried other bars, like... the whole Dove collection, a few of Nivea's, Simples bars... the rest of the Neutrgena bars... Neem soap, an whatever else i cant think of now. #-o

Anyhow, it works for me, ur welcome to try if you like... i mean... £1.29 for THREE bars... hardly daylight robbery... it cost me £2.99 for ONE of the Neutrogena ones for phucks sake! LOL! ](*,)

-Gaz

Interesting.. I never knew Dove was comedogenic! My dermatologist always said that was the way to go! Well thanks for that info.. maybe I'll cut it out of my daily regime. Any suggestions for just a gentle cleanser?

Guest fatman_uk

Dam wright it is, LOL! (Bad joke)

In the little orange wrappers. :D

Jus realised i had the price wrong, it was £2.29 for FOUR... i think, anyhow, it was cheap as fook. :shock:/

-Gaz