Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Unforntunatly this information is only beneficial to the female members, but here is something that I think that some of you may find interesting...

I have been on many, many medications for the treatment and

prevention of acne over the past 5-6 years, and never did I get the results that I have acheived through one month of this treatment. I have been through 3 cycles of accutane, Topical Tretnoin, Differen, Tazorac, every type of oral antibiotic, light treatment, dieticians, 5 or 6 dermatologists.. losing track...EVERYTHING during my battle with cystic acne!! I am almost 24, and although I was on an oral contraceptive during this time, they were not enough to suppress the over-reaction by the hormone receptors in my sebaceous glands. Once during a course of accutane, by derm prescribed a small dose of SPIRONOLACTONE, which I have found through experience is not effective in low doses. But recently I have found a woman derm who recognized the root cause of my problem, purely hormonal in nature, and now after a few months of a stronger anti-androgen bc pill, Ovcon 35 *(I am now taking a preferred comparable brand, Zovia 1/35 tables 28's) and a daily 200mg dose of spironolactone, I am cyst-free and constantly improving. A derm had once told me that if I had an underlying hormonal condition such as PCOS, or other hormonal systematic disorder, it would be easy to recognize (That hormonal cases are "fat, hairy and undatable"- where his exact words which I am none of these). But I even had my primary physician and my gynecologist office do blood work to test my hormone levels and they appeared normal. I do not have PCOS but some woman change hormonally as they enter this age range and although the actual levels of hormones may remain normal, the body's reaction to them change. It took the recognition of the signs and initiation of hormonal therapy to discover that my body was over sensitive to the androgen which caused the constant oiliness, and breakouts despite three courses of Accutane. Hormonal therapy is very important in cases such as mine because you avoid unnecessary side effects of unbeneficial drugs, plus the effects of the hormonal therapy are softening and brightening of the complexion. So, I finally have hope of having the skin that I have dreamed of, although I am still going to have a chemical peel to even out the scars from years of acne. Ask your doctor about adding SPIRONOLACTONE 200mg to your regimen if you feel that your acne has not been improved by other methods. Hopefully some of you can spare the years of distress and embarassment I had to suffer to find this cure!

Great info! I discovered largely thru this board that my acne was hormonal as well, but have cleared up thru using Cilest {int'l version of Ortho-cyclen...NOT the tricyclen!!} and Dan's Regimen. Thanks!

I could have sworn that my doctor said that has undesirable side-effects.

OMIGOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i have the EXA-CT same problem!!!!!!!!!!!! friggin pcos- and im sure that i would have had a little acne, but not cysts and whatnot that i started developing probably from the HORMONE IMBALANCE that i had! but my derm had me try EVERYTHING for years, and then had me try spironolactone which is WONDERFUL--a godsend. But she didnt tell me i might have a hormonal imbalance! so when i went to the obgyn and they found out about the PCOS, like three weeks ago!! now it all makes sense!

so ive been prescribed Ovcon 35 too--how do u like it?? i just started it this week, and im only on 100 mg of spironolactone, should i increase the dosage?? thanks!

I really liked the Ovcon 35, but it was a little more expensive, so I went on a preferred brand that has the same ingrediants, just by a different manufacturer. I actually was never diagnosed with any disorder or PCOS, but the gyno told me that I have symptoms that are like that of someone with PCOS and even though my blood tests came back normal, that she was sure that a hormonal imbalance was the cause of my acne. And sure enough, once I started taking the Ovcon 35, after about two months I started noticing less and less cysts. Then a month ago I went on the Spiro and now I do not have a single spot or cyst or ANYTHING and I had bad bad skin. I do still have some bumps that I've always had under my skin that look kind white if I stretch my skin out a little, but otherwise aren't really even visable. I am hoping those will go away soon too. I am probably going to have a light chemical peel in the next month or so to help with that and some scaring. I still have red marks all over and I'm sure I have not seen my last breakout, but just to see my skin this clear after 3-4 years is unbelievable. I think that if you react well to 100mg that you should stick with that, but my derm gave me 200mg right away and said that it does not work in smaller doses. I have read elsewhere that 200mg is a standard dose. I was put on 25mg a day a long time ago, but I didn't think it was doing anything and I had quite taking it. I'm so glad I took this doctor's advice and tried her dose!!! :0)

Unforntunatly this information is only beneficial to the female members, but here is something that I think that some of you may find interesting...

if ur acne is caused by hormones will it ever go away on it's own?!!! I think mine is I am on daine 35 and getting off it because it is causing me 2 be depressed sad.gif I am only 17 so maybe my hormones could change??

how do you know for sure your acne is hormonal? obviously when you break out around that time of the month but you could have such a high hormonal imbalance that you just keep breaking out, right? :-k

i've read that if you break out around your mouth it is due to hormones...but i also have breakouts on my forehead and cheeks. i've also had blood tests and they came back normal...i don't have PCOS either. :-s

is Ovcon-35 a birth control pill? i am terrified of birth control pills because i gained close to 20lbs in just 3 months on Ortho-Tricyclen. i hate the fact that i'd have to take a pill for the rest of my life to treat acne because what about when you want to become pregnant? there are so many complications that can arise when it comes to having a baby. but for now, i would do anything to control oiliness/acne...esp with the summer coming up.

can you take spironolactone without Ovcon-35?

can you buy it over the counter or do you have to go to a doctor? i will be visiting my dermatologist tomorrow but i doubt he would prescribe me spironolactone without any blood tests and such...something i do not have the money for right now.

I had the same problem - hormones was causing my acne.

I didn't clear up until I got on spironolactone. My acne was

getting bad, where I would get a new zit every day, esp. on

my chin. I also had it on my neck. I got a hormone test from

my gyno and he said it was in the "high-normal" range for DEAH,

or whatever that chemical is called. So, I had to harass him into

giving me a referral to the endocrinologist (hormone/fertility doctor).

He said that "He didn't think that it would help."

Finally, I went there and the lady prescribed my spironolactone

and my acne cleared up. I am also on bc, so my periods are regular,

but I have heard that irregular periods can be a side effect if you

are not on bc.

My derm is going to prescribe spiro next. I'm currently taking ampicillin and using taz but after the amp i was thinking of going back on accutane for a second course which I soooo don't wan't to do. So, my derm said she will prescribe me spiro next. I think my acne is definitely hormonal.

Your derm can prescribe but probably a lof them don't like to because maybe it's different territory.

Hi Rachel.

Is the spiro still working for you?I'm in the process of being tested for PCOS but my hormone levels from the bloodtest results appear to be normal :huh: I was sure i have PCOS as my ultrasound pointed towards it as i have many follicles on my ovaries.

I'm on dianette which i have been taking for over 4 years.When i first started taking dianette my skin completely cleared but it only lasted for afew months and then the acne came back.I've stayed on dianette since but it's not kept my skin clear.

I'm thinking about trying spiro even if i haven't got PCOS as i've read that the oil glands in your skin can be overly sensitive to normal levels of hormones,so it could still work.

You cannot determine whether acne is hormonal. You can have 2 teenagers

that produce the same amount of testosterone, yet one will have clear

skin and one will not. It just depends on the amount of androgen

receptors in the skin, among other things.

Anyways, spironolactone works in many but it generally lessens

sex drive. On the plus side though, spiro acts as a diuretic and reduces

water retention..something I hear girls like.

I'm a guy so I can't use the stuff, obviously

Mine was hormonal and went on Yasmin birth control by accident and never got another pimple, never mind cyst, again! I had broken out with like 5 cysts that left scars and I was devastated. Yeah derms are pretty much useless so I went on Yasmin and said goodbye to the derm in two weeks! I think its very similar to Diane. I figure if I want to have a baby, I'll just go off of it, and get pregnant and then my hormones will be all screwed up anyway by getting pregnant. It is the ONLY THING THAT HAS CURED MY CYSTIC ACNE.