Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Guest james11

Looking in the mirror?

Guest james11

Just want to know if anyone else struggles to look in the mirror?

Anyone got any advice for someone who doesn't?

Hmmm, well, I am in the same boat. I just can't bear to look right now.

But two things are helping me....

1) Perspective. The fact is not everyone in the world is analyzing our faces/body like we are. We are so ruthless and hard on ourselves. Try to realize that you are magnifying something that others just don't pay that close of attention to. And if they are that preoccupied with a pimple or two on your face, well, they are freaky and you won't want them to be in your life anyway!

2) Avoid the mirror! I know this is a nobrainer but I find myself staring at myself in horror over and over at the huge pimple on my chin. Well, forget it, life is too short. I'm not going to waste it doing things that destroy my confidence.

Just my two cents. Hang in there!

Guest james11

thanks for your perspective on it, i guess i just think it's not cool that i avoid the mirror altogether.

I avoid them and only look in the ones that make my skin look better like my car mirror. I get dressed in dimly lit rooms (cause that makes my skin look better too) I never look in the mirror with the light up unless I plan on picking at my face wich is always what ends up happening.

YES I DO IT ALL THE TIME! cause everytime I look at myself, I get so disgusted. I even try to avoid looking at my reflections on the glasses or anything reflective when I'm out in public. like cursedskin, I wash my face in the dark sometimes. it makes my acne look invisible haha

it sucks :|

Guest tenshigirl25

if im having a really bad skin day i dont even go outside..much less look in the mirror. but im like the other person here, if i look in bright light i end up picking and squeezing...ill look in my mirrors in my room, but i never ever look at mirrors in restaurants or clubs or anywhere public..i think ill ruin my whole day if i do. i cant stand to think other people are looking at me and thinking im gross..or worse, invisible.

Guest james11

YES I DO IT ALL THE TIME! cause everytime I look at myself, I get so disgusted. I even try to avoid looking at my reflections on the glasses or anything reflective when I'm out in public. like cursedskin, I wash my face in the dark sometimes. it makes my acne look invisible haha

it sucks :|

Yeah i avoid all things reflective too. I worry that's it's just avoiding the truth. But i don't want to stress myself with anything else at the moment.

I havn't really looked in the mirror for about a year.

haha, first its bad hair day, now bad skin day.

I can't stand to look in mirrors with good light. I mean, I almost start crying when I see every little thing on my face. Thats why I like the bathroom that I always get dressed in, in the morning. The lighting is perfect and makes my face look awesome. It gives me a fake confidence boost before I go to school. I don't look in the mirror and just see horror.

if im having a really bad skin day i dont even go outside..much less look in the mirror. but im like the other person here, if i look in bright light i end up picking and squeezing...ill look in my mirrors in my room, but i never ever look at mirrors in restaurants or clubs or anywhere public..i think ill ruin my whole day if i do. i cant stand to think other people are looking at me and thinking im gross..or worse, invisible.

LOL your inside my head, that is exactly me to the T.

I know what you mean, I don't look in the mirror very much either. We have florescent lites at work and natural lite from the windows up front and I hate it! Always makes me look bad and I am my worst critic! I also don't look at the rag mags in the stores, gets me depressed at how clear and smooth their skin is! Could just be retouched photos, but still, makes me sick and depressed.

I hate pictures, especially ones with a flash. It illuminates every mark and scar. I have a hard time with some mirrors....it depends on the lighting. I think, "do I really look that bad?" I looked fine in the mirror at the house or the rearview. It can be depressing.

A cool tip is to never wash your mirrors - the coating of dust/grime really hide the spots and gives you an even complexion!

I look for improvement every 2 minutes, the more i look, the more i pick. Its a habit i cant get out of and thats why i'll never be able to get rid of acne.

The worst mirrors to look in are the ones at resturants or clubs because of the floresent lighting. That's the worst! When your on a date or at dinner with friends and you use the mirror there, you can see everything. It's bad. I try to stand back so you can't see everything.

I look for improvement every 2 minutes, the more i look, the more i pick. Its a habit i cant get out of and thats why i'll never be able to get rid of acne.

^^ this is me to a tee. (though i've finally stopped picking)

Wow! I am shocked by some of your comments guys! I have suffered from bad acne for the past 5 years... I don't mind looking in the mirror, by avoiding the mirror it isn't going to make your acne go away so what's the point.

Don't let your confidence suffer from this! Don't let acne rule your life! I don't.

Live Life To The Full, Lee. ;)

Guest james11

Wow! I am shocked by some of your comments guys! I have suffered from bad acne for the past 5 years... I don't mind looking in the mirror, by avoiding the mirror it isn't going to make your acne go away so what's the point.

Don't let your confidence suffer from this! Don't let acne rule your life! I don't.

Live Life To The Full, Lee. ;)

It's not about making the Acne go away. At first, i just wanted to avoid what was going on. Now it's mre habitual! I'm having a little trouble facing myself.

Well, I don't avoid the mirror. I just take off my glasses so I don't get a good view. It's all good and call it running away or whatever, but that's how I cope and it doesn't really interfere with anything big.

Guest james11

Okay so i looked today. I just thought, fuck it i have to! I look different. I look old. I hate what i see and now i'm feeling pretty low. Pretty over this shit. The only thing that makes me feel better is that i'm still irritated and dry from my last treatment , so that MAY be making me look worse than i actually do. I guess that long road just got that bit longer!

Just venting, seeing as i started this thread.

yeah..i hate looking in mirrors. i only look in my good bathroom lighting while i'm doing my makeup, and then after that i avoid looking. if i go to the bathroom in a public place, i look down at the sink to avoid seeing myself while i'm washing my hands.. if i do happen to catch a glimpse, i start to dwell on it..

I think it depends on what lighting the mirror is under. My favourite place to look in the mirror is in my bathroom, because the light there doesn't really reveal my acne and scars that much. I tend to avoid looking at myself in public bathrooms, cause the lighting there really shows my facial imperfections. :(

Guest pokerbugg

i have a love/hate relationship w/ the mirror