Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
tonedog

potatoes, dairy, sugar bad for ance?

ive had moderate acne on my face but mainly my back for a years. im 28. last month i had a really bad breakout on my face and thought enough is enough.

i totally cut out dairy and sugar plus i started eating a lot more fruit. my face is clear at the moment by my back and shoulders are as bad as ever. i still eat lots of potatoes and bread. do other people find these are just as bad?

i assume back acne and face acne are related? my thinking is as long as i have it on my back my face aint safe!!

i've got a year on you and i thought exactly the same thing and have been doing pretty much the same haha. Cut out the wheat as well.

check this link. someone posted it in a thread i had started.

http://www.askshelley.com/faq.php?p=default&cat=53#a148

how long it take you to clear? its been 3 weeks for me now and i think i am starting to clear now. had some bad breakouts when i went on the diet but i am on B5 as well (thinking of pullling the plug on those)

Guest Cubsfan
ive had moderate acne on my face but mainly my back for a years. im 28.  last month i had a really bad breakout on my face and thought enough is enough.

i totally cut out dairy and sugar plus i started eating a lot more fruit. my face is clear at the moment by my back and shoulders are as bad as ever.  i still eat lots of potatoes and bread.  do other people find these are just as bad?

i assume back acne and face acne are related?  my thinking is as long as i have it on my back my face aint safe!!

Something you can do to help limit insulin surges when consuming carbohydrates, eat them with protien and or fat or oil. This combination slows the absorption of carbohydrate so that the insulin release will not be as great. This is a great trick as carbohydrates are an inexpensive source of energy.

i've found white potatoes to be one of my worst offenders (along with dairy, wheat and sugar). however, i've found i like the flavor of sweet potatoes even better and thus they are my safe replacement. smile.gif

I went to my dermatoligist and asked him if i should have allergy testing done, and could that be the cause of my spots and he told me not to waste my money, and to buy a new pair of shoes!

So i haven't had the allergy testing done. But i think it would be great if it was simply a food intolerance causing my spots. Do you guys think it could be the case?s it worth a try?

i normally have chicken, meat or fish with potatoes and soup with bread. is cereal bad as well? i really dont know what id replace these foods with

From what I've been reading (and trying) lately, it appears that it is more likely to be excess carbs and dairy in the diet (that push up insulin levels) than food intolerance/allergies. Not saying that these do not have an effect, but the main "diet" related issue may be as simple as carbs/insulin alone.

This is being discussed at the moment on the thread shown below. Worth a look if you're interested or do a search on Google for "Cordain and Acne" ...

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/index.php?showtopic=67939

I went to my dermatoligist and asked him if i should have allergy testing done, and could that be the cause of my spots and he told me not to waste my money, and to buy a new pair of shoes!

So i haven't had the allergy testing done. But i think it would be great if it was simply a food intolerance causing my spots. Do you guys think it could be the case?s it worth a try?

Well I had an allergy/food intolerance test yesterday and it turns out I'm intolerant to potatoes, milk, cheese, beef, onions, cauliflower, oranges, pork, coffee, sugar, yeast, prawns, cod and dairy chocolate (dark chocolate tested fine).

Now I know my body can't handle these foods, I'm going to cut them out completely. I have to see my therapist again in 4 weeks' time and hopefully by then my acne will have cleared, I won't be chronically tired, depressed and low on energy and self esteem (all of which I have been for almost a third of my life now).

It was also discovered that i have a major candida yeast problem, which is worsened by consuming sugar and yeast.

I reached my lowest point last week and deceided enough was enough and tried my last resort: the allergy/intolerance test. I just figured that if antibiotics don't cure acne then there must be some internal problem (such as candida for example).

Everyone apart from those who work in natural therapy says that diet has no effect on acne, but I'm willing to give it a go. Even by cutting out the foods mentioned above, I can still have plenty of delicious vegetables, all grains, turkey, chicken and lamb, soya, apples, etc.

I'd strongly recommend getting yourself tested. If it does work, you'll save yourself further years of torment. If it doesn't, at least you've tried.

ive had moderate acne on my face but mainly my back for a years. im 28. last month i had a really bad breakout on my face and thought enough is enough.

i totally cut out dairy and sugar plus i started eating a lot more fruit. my face is clear at the moment by my back and shoulders are as bad as ever. i still eat lots of potatoes and bread. do other people find these are just as bad?

i assume back acne and face acne are related? my thinking is as long as i have it on my back my face aint safe!!

Hi guys,,well im 37 male,and i just started breaking out a couple years ago,mostly my jaw line and neck,always the same areas,and there white heads that scar up,it sucks,, but i was eating lots of sandwiches aday,and pounding protein shakes cuz ive been working out for 15 years,but reading your letters it sounds like it might be my diet? man i need some good advice ppl, right now i stopped all my multi vit,no shakes and no mor breads,im gonna see what happens,,i miss the protein shakes because of pumping iron but maybe theres some foods that are even better than shakes,, also i live in the suburbs of the Boston area,so im sure theres plenty of bad foods right? Thanks guys.

Well I had an allergy/food intolerance test yesterday and it turns out I'm intolerant to potatoes, milk, cheese, beef, onions, cauliflower, oranges, pork, coffee, sugar, yeast, prawns, cod and dairy chocolate (dark chocolate tested fine).

Now I know my body can't handle these foods, I'm going to cut them out completely. I have to see my therapist again in 4 weeks' time and hopefully by then my acne will have cleared, I won't be chronically tired, depressed and low on energy and self esteem (all of which I have been for almost a third of my life now).

It was also discovered that i have a major candida yeast problem, which is worsened by consuming sugar and yeast.

I reached my lowest point last week and deceided enough was enough and tried my last resort: the allergy/intolerance test. I just figured that if antibiotics don't cure acne then there must be some internal problem (such as candida for example).

Everyone apart from those who work in natural therapy says that diet has no effect on acne, but I'm willing to give it a go. Even by cutting out the foods mentioned above, I can still have plenty of delicious vegetables, all grains, turkey, chicken and lamb, soya, apples, etc.

I'd strongly recommend getting yourself tested. If it does work, you'll save yourself further years of torment. If it doesn't, at least you've tried.

Thanks Dean. Can you let me know how you get on by cutting out the foods that you are intollerent to?

Also did you have a blood test, or was is another form of allergy testing that you had done?

Thanks Dean. Can you let me know how you get on by cutting out the foods that you are intollerent to?

Also did you have a blood test, or was is another form of allergy testing that you had done?

Yeah of course I will :) .

I didn't have a blood test, no. It was a non-invasive (no needles, etc) procedure whereby the therapist placed a tiny container containing a trace of a particular food substance, such as sugar, cauliflower, beef, lactose, etc, on my stomach area, which is meant to be the centre of our body's energy. Ever heard of the "gut" feeling? Apparently the body lets you know what it likes and doesn't like.

She would then lift my arm and ask me to resist her as she tried to pull it down. Foods that I was tolerant to, I could resist with no problems, but when she put certain substances on my stomach, I had no strength at all - it was truly bizarre. These intolerable substances for me turned out to be:

onion

cauliflower

all cow products (milk, cheese, butter, beef)

prawns

cod

sugar

yeast

milk proteins

potatoes

Using the same procedure described above, called kinesiology, she was able to identify a candida yeast overgrowth. When she put acidophilus (good bacteria) tablets next to the candida container on my stomach, I gradually was able to resist her - but it took 9 acidophilus tablets before I could do so.

It was really fascinating and highly recommended :cool: .

Yeah of course I will :) .

I didn't have a blood test, no. It was a non-invasive (no needles, etc) procedure whereby the therapist placed a tiny container containing a trace of a particular food substance, such as sugar, cauliflower, beef, lactose, etc, on my stomach area, which is meant to be the centre of our body's energy. Ever heard of the "gut" feeling? Apparently the body lets you know what it likes and doesn't like.

She would then lift my arm and ask me to resist her as she tried to pull it down. Foods that I was tolerant to, I could resist with no problems, but when she put certain substances on my stomach, I had no strength at all - it was truly bizarre. These intolerable substances for me turned out to be:

onion

cauliflower

all cow products (milk, cheese, butter, beef)

prawns

cod

sugar

yeast

milk proteins

potatoes

Using the same procedure described above, called kinesiology, she was able to identify a candida yeast overgrowth. When she put acidophilus (good bacteria) tablets next to the candida container on my stomach, I gradually was able to resist her - but it took 9 acidophilus tablets before I could do so.

It was really fascinating and highly recommended :cool: .

I had Kinesiology a few weeks ago actually, but because i had just come out of hospital the therapist told me i was too weak to get results.

:confused:

Hi guys,,well im 37 male,and i just started breaking out a couple years ago,mostly my jaw line and neck,always the same areas,and there white heads that scar up,it sucks,, but i was eating lots of sandwiches aday,and pounding protein shakes cuz ive been working out for 15 years,but reading your letters it sounds like it might be my diet? man i need some good advice ppl, right now i stopped all my multi vit,no shakes and no mor breads,im gonna see what happens,,i miss the protein shakes because of pumping iron but maybe theres some foods that are even better than shakes,, also i live in the suburbs of the Boston area,so im sure theres plenty of bad foods right? Thanks guys.

Definately look back to what you changed in your life when your acne first started. New house? New Job? Different skin care (wash, shaving cream, etc)? Did you add any steriod-like or pro-testosterone supplements? Did you start drinking soy or whey protein shakes? All of these things could be a factor or it could possibly be your diet, but unless you changed your diet radically during that time too (more grain carbohydrates and dairy than ususal?), it may not quite be your diet (although hormonal changes can always adjust that). Eitherway, with what you've currently stopped consuming, let us know what happens in 2 weeks or so from now.

Best wishes