Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
edaley

WTF...my doctor prescribed me Salicylic Acid. :|

Hes crazy if he thinks im going to pay $10 a month for this crap. He said i have to try this for 4 months before i can go to a derm. Why the hell would he prescribe me with something that i can buy OTC for cheaper and when i told him ive already tried SA face wash's. OMG im so mad right now. Why do i have to see my doctor before i can see a derm? Im sure a derm would know a lot more than this guy.

Hes crazy if he thinks im going to pay $10 a month for this crap.  He said i have to try this for 4 months before i can go to a derm.  Why the hell would he prescribe me with something that i can buy OTC for cheaper and when i told him ive already tried SA face wash's.  OMG im so mad right now.  Why do i have to see my doctor before i can see a derm?  Im sure a derm would know a lot more than this guy.

Hes crazy if he thinks im going to pay $10 a month for this crap.  He said i have to try this for 4 months before i can go to a derm.  Why the hell would he prescribe me with something that i can buy OTC for cheaper and when i told him ive already tried SA face wash's.  OMG im so mad right now.  Why do i have to see my doctor before i can see a derm?  Im sure a derm would know a lot more than this guy.

my derm prescribed benzaclin which is nothing but benzyl preroxide. Well it's expensive but there must be something in it that works because i could use it all day and i'll stay clear. But if i use the cheap bp stuff, it doesn't clear my face. Try to trust your doctor. And if you are still not clear, it could be something internal like eating habbits or not getting enough sleep. Try different things that work for you. That's what I've had to do.

Guest virgo

i love benzaclin!! but i've been off it for a while cuz im on lustra for my hypopigmentation and some other thing for my eczema or whatever... so ive been off it for a while.. and i always get pimples on my cheeks.. im gonna go back on it again though. i like it because it helps renew the skin even though it gets dried out sometimes.

You can buy perscription medicines overseas without a perscription.  I wouldn't reccomend it though.

yeah i had to resort to getting some tane from turkey. i hope its the real deal.

it was my last option since i have no insurance, mild acne(which is hard to get tane for) and a dislike in general for derms.

That's a risky move, do you realize you're supposed to get blood draw before, and during your time on tane to make sure some of your lab results are withiin normal limits.

Why can't you go to a derm on your own? Why wait for your doc to give an ok? Sounds like you belong to an HMO.

my derm prescribed benzaclin which is nothing but benzyl preroxide. Well it's expensive but there must be something in it that works because i could use it all day and i'll stay clear. But if i use the cheap bp stuff, it doesn't clear my face. Try to trust your doctor. And if you are still not clear, it could be something internal like eating habbits or not getting enough sleep. Try different things that work for you. That's what I've had to do.

Hehe your benzaclin story is identical to mine. Don't forget the 1% clyndacidamin (sp?).

I went to my family doctor and she asked me if i wanted 10, 20mg, or 40mg, I said 10mg because that already if $65 bucks a month and I could not afford paying $120 or over for 20mg or 40mg.

Hes crazy if he thinks im going to pay $10 a month for this crap. He said i have to try this for 4 months before i can go to a derm. Why the hell would he prescribe me with something that i can buy OTC for cheaper and when i told him ive already tried SA face wash's. OMG im so mad right now. Why do i have to see my doctor before i can see a derm? Im sure a derm would know a lot more than this guy.

What country do you live in? I've never heard of a place where one "has" to go to a particular medical provider.

I live in the United States, where one can go see anyone they want. They just have to make the appointment (and pay of course, since health care is rarely given away here).

this sounds bad but whenever my doc prescribes me a med I don't want to use, I look up all the worst symptoms that people can get and then tell my doc that I have some of those symptoms. Sometimes doctors don't know best, if you tell your doc, "I'm having problems with this salycic acid, it makes my skin peel and burn, I break out in hives around my face," you know something like that, make it sound painful. I hate it when I'm prescribed something, that I google later and it has a million dangerous side effects, sometimes you don't take your meds because you're scared, sometimes you don't agree with your doctor that you should be taking a particular med. Get creative, and remember its your body.