Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
yoohoo422

Welcome to my Accutane Journal

Yesterday I started on 40 mg of Accutane. So far no effects. My skin is better than it was about a month and a half ago, but still getting acne. I have had acne for as long as I can remember....not necessarily severe, but more so persistent. This summer I'd call it moderate, but FELT severe to me. I have seen a lot worse, but what I was experiencing was the worst! Anyway I think the birth control I started a month ago helped me out a bit. But the thing is, I don't need to be on bc, so I don't want to use that as my avenue to deal with my acne......

Here is my plan on what I want to do or plan to do....if anyone has any feedback about this, please let me know.

Lips: Aquaphor and Natural Ice

Wash: Cetaphil and DHC Mild Soap

Moisturize: Emu Oil

Sunscreen: Hawaiian Tropics 30 oil free for faces

Plan to take

Vit. E

Flax Seed

Glucosamine

I am nervous to start this. I guess since my skin is so much bettter than it was a month ago, I am afraid of the dreaded purging period, but I am also sick of this persistent acne that I have tried to get rid of for so long!

Oh other notes. When I went to the derm I told her I was on Welbutrin. Well this almost cost me a Accutane prescription. I have been depressed before, but take Welbutrin now to just keep me level headed mostly. The derm was going to have me take a Psych Eval! Well I called my PCP and she authorized me as stable! Thank God! I am just to be sure to have my hubby watch for any signs of depression. He has seen me at my lowest point with Post-Partum Depression so he knows what I get like. I'd have to say I was pretty depressed a month or so ago when my acne was so bad! So I believe any feelings of depression would be because of my acne at this point!!!!

Wish me LUCK as I start this Accutane Journey. I'd love to hear back from all of you with any tips that could help me. I live in Colorado, so it is a pretty dry climate as is. I'm sure I'll get bloody noses for sure. I did get out the humidifier last night and will run that around the clock to help get moisture in the air. But even when I'm not on accutane I always have a very dry nose once the heat comes on!

Anything you think I should know!?

Thanks, I'm so glad I have this board to help me through this!

I'd say focus on getting through each day at a time. I dont necessarily like to look ahead to clear skin and then go right to the mirror to see my face the way it is at the time. I had a similar experience to yours where I had it bad about a month before and got a derm appt. Well the time the appt. cam around I had no active pimples and one small redmark, hah!! I have no idea how that happend but it was a fluke bc usually I have about 10 pimples!! Well I just finished the first month and I dont mean to ramble but always keep you head up and get through one day at a time and before you know it this will all be over and just remembered as a bad dream, haha. Good luck with everything and lets all hope for clearer days!

I'd say focus on getting through each day at a time. I dont necessarily like to look ahead to clear skin and then go right to the mirror to see my face the way it is at the time.  I had a similar experience to yours where I had it bad about a month before and got a derm appt.  Well the time the appt. cam around I had no active pimples and one small redmark, hah!! I have no idea how that happend but it was a fluke bc usually I have about 10 pimples!! Well I just finished the first month and I dont mean to ramble but always keep you head up and get through one day at a time and before you know it this will all be over and just remembered as a bad dream, haha.  Good luck with everything and lets all hope for clearer days!

Hey yoohoo! Thanks for visiting my log! I posted a reply to your question there, but I wanted to visit your log and see how you were coming along! Sounds like you've got all of your supplies at the ready! Aquaphor has really been a miracle for me! It helps my lips and my nose (I was going to suggest you swab your nose nightly with it or vaseline, but you're way ahead of me!) Just prepare yourself for good days and bad days, there probably will be a period when your face looks like your worst nightmare, but it does go away! Just remember, it's all gotta come out! eusa_wall.gif

BTW, I love Colorado! My husband and I visited Glenwood Springs and Aspen in 1996. It is beautiful out there. Don't ya'll have snow already?

Anyway, good luck on 'tane!

Hey yoohoo!  Thanks for visiting my log!  I posted a reply to your question there, but I wanted to visit your log and see how you were coming along!  Sounds like you've got all of your supplies at the ready!  Aquaphor has really been a miracle for me!  It helps my lips and my nose (I was going to suggest you swab your nose nightly with it or vaseline, but you're way ahead of me!)  Just prepare yourself for good days and bad days, there probably will be a period when your face looks like your worst nightmare, but it does go away!  Just remember, it's all gotta come out!  eusa_wall.gif

BTW, I love Colorado!  My husband and I visited Glenwood Springs and Aspen in 1996.  It is beautiful out there.  Don't ya'll have snow already? 

Anyway, good luck on 'tane!

Well it is still Day 3.....It is kind of depressing to read through the other accutane journals. I guess I just thought maybe this would work faster, but it seems as if a lot of people don't see results right away and that the gross purging period goes through most of the duration of taking the pill. Is this really true? Of course it also sounds like it is a case by case thing as to how each person reacts. I wish someone could say something like, on Day 12 you will break out. This breakout will last until day 25 and then from Day 26 you'll get no new acne, and your skin will just work on repairing itself.

Yes, I am a dreamer. I am hoping I can be one of the few people that don't really explode from this stuff.

No changes thus far. I'm trying to drink lots of water! Lots and Lots of water.....I need to anyway since I had kidney stones a few years back.

Ok yoohoo, I predict you will begin to breakout more around weeks 4-5. This will make you very miserable, being that you were pretty clear when you began taking accutane. You will begin to wonder, "why am I taking this horrible drug that is making me breakout more than I ever have before?" You will not want to go anywhere, see anyone, etc. Then around week 8-10 you start to see a difference. Your skin will start to clear up and you'll begin to see the light at the end of the tunnel. Sunny days ahead! Then around week 13 you'll get about 2-3 new pimples and you'll get upset again, thinking it's not working. They'll clear up and around week 15 you might get one or two more. Then they'll clear up.

All throughout this process, your derm will likely increase your dose (depending on your weight and how you're handling side effects).

Anyway, it's just a guess? My massive breakout began around week 5-6 and stayed until week 10-11 or so. It was AWFUL. But, I made it through it and my skin is almost clear (except for some red marks leftover).

Something to look forward to: around week 3 or so I noticed the waxy look to my skin faded out and my skin was less oily! YAY!!!

Ok yoohoo, I predict you will begin to breakout more around weeks 4-5. This will make you very miserable, being that you were pretty clear when you began taking accutane. You will begin to wonder, "why am I taking this horrible drug that is making me breakout more than I ever have before?" You will not want to go anywhere, see anyone, etc. Then around week 8-10 you start to see a difference. Your skin will start to clear up and you'll begin to see the light at the end of the tunnel. Sunny days ahead! Then around week 13 you'll get about 2-3 new pimples and you'll get upset again, thinking it's not working. They'll clear up and around week 15 you might get one or two more. Then they'll clear up.

All throughout this process, your derm will likely increase your dose (depending on your weight and how you're handling side effects).

Anyway, it's just a guess? My massive breakout began around week 5-6 and stayed until week 10-11 or so. It was AWFUL. But, I made it through it and my skin is almost clear (except for some red marks leftover).

Something to look forward to: around week 3 or so I noticed the waxy look to my skin faded out and my skin was less oily! YAY!!!

Okay, see just taking your prediction will give me some kind of possible guideline! Thanks! I just do better knowing what to expect AND when!!!!

Your prediction doesn't sound glamourous, which is what I need to hear, but it does give hope!

Thanks!

UPDATE:

Took my 4th pill today. I am noticing today little pimples popping up...kind of like braille bumps. Nothing huge or cystic, but just little red bumps, mostly on my cheeks.

I have been using AYR Nasal Spray to combat nose dryness....I have this issue whether I'm on TANE or not, so I really want to take care of it now before it gets worse. My lips are dry, but have been for a few weeks.....

Otherwise just moving right along. Taking Flax Seed and Vit. E. Also bought Neutrogena T-Gel Shampoo today to combat dandruff and flaky scalp. Want to be prepared.

I'll be back to post more as the days go by!

Hey yoohoo! Sorry my prediction wasn't glamorous! But, look at it like this....it might not be that bad and then you'll be pleasantly surprised!! :D And really it could go either way. Everyone is different. The first time I was on accutane I wasn't on a high enough dose and it really didn't clear my acne. So this is my second time. Hopefully you'll have better luck than me! I've read about people clearing up around week 6 and staying clear the rest of the course.....then there are people like me who suffer will breakouts all the way through week 20, etc....? Just remember, it's a work in progress. It will work for you, in some way. I had fewer breakouts and much less oil after my first course....so I was somewhat happy. And this time, I'm on a much higher dose and I'm getting better results.

Hey, how do you like that emu oil? I tried it, but didn't really like it. How long have you used it?

Hey yoohoo! Sorry my prediction wasn't glamorous! But, look at it like this....it might not be that bad and then you'll be pleasantly surprised!! :D And really it could go either way. Everyone is different. The first time I was on accutane I wasn't on a high enough dose and it really didn't clear my acne. So this is my second time. Hopefully you'll have better luck than me! I've read about people clearing up around week 6 and staying clear the rest of the course.....then there are people like me who suffer will breakouts all the way through week 20, etc....? Just remember, it's a work in progress. It will work for you, in some way. I had fewer breakouts and much less oil after my first course....so I was somewhat happy. And this time, I'm on a much higher dose and I'm getting better results.

Hey, how do you like that emu oil? I tried it, but didn't really like it. How long have you used it?

I am just such a dork. I like to know what to expect. Like when I was pg. I lived by the book "What to Expect When You're Expecting!" Looking for the pre play-by-play!!!

I am wondering if since prior to starting Accutane I was on .025% Tret./Avita and I wonder if doing that helped purge a lot out of me since I was clearing up (finally) and then wonder if the Birth Control Pills that I started over a month ago also helped to start clearing me up. I guess I am just hoping for a mild purge!!!!

I am loving the Emu Oil. I got it off of eBay and the seller has a website www.emuranch.com I think it has really softened my skin and hasn't caused any new breakouts. I'm not sure if it'll be moisturizing enough for the whole course of Accutane, but thus far I'm liking it. I apply it more at night and less during the day. It doesn't take much.

Day 4 Pill #3 (if that makes any sense!)

I'm not very far into this (obviously) but I'm already losing track of days (LOL, can you say Scatterbrain!). I take my pills at night with Dinner so it confuses me on how to count the days!

Anyway, I woke up this a.m. to a waxy look. Kind of weird. I have seen pics in some of the journals here and thought the skin looked waxy, and I've read about the waxy look, but was surprised to see it on me. Does this last the duration of the course?

Otherwise I have a few small braille bumps on my cheeks. They are like tiny whiteheads. Nothing big or painful (yet, Thank God.....) but I know they will be coming. Oh I did also get a little pimple on my chest. Nothing big, but it is red, and it will prevent me from wearing a neckline that will show it. No biggie!

I am feeling anxious to see how my skin progresses through this adventure! I like that I am journaling it, even if nobody is reading it! Ha! Well nobody but Gamarwil! :angel:

Day 4 and it seems like I have such a long road ahead!

More later!

Thanks for stopping by!

Yeah, accutane can cause you to be a little "scatter-brained" :lol2: The waxy look doesn't hang around forever, but I did have it for about 2 weeks or so.

Yeah, accutane can cause you to be a little "scatter-brained" :lol2: The waxy look doesn't hang around forever, but I did have it for about 2 weeks or so.

Did you get it early on too?

Day 4 still and I'm getting a few more bumps, they seem to be coming up more already. Nothing big and painful (yet).

Anyone else out there that just started this week? Wanna go on this journey together?

Hey I just started too. Im on day 6 right now i think. Hoping to clear up once and for all too. :)

Cool! I've been reading your journal.....so we can follow each others progress and give each other pep talks, which I'm sure we'll NEED!

QUESTION???

Since it seems we all get a doseage change throughout our Tane Course, when you had your dose changes did you have another major breakout?

So is it sort of like, Just when you thought you were doing good, then whammo bammo the doc ups your dose and you break out like mad again?!

QUESTION???

Since it seems we all get a doseage change throughout our Tane Course, when you had your dose changes did you have another major breakout?

So is it sort of like, Just when you thought you were doing good, then whammo bammo the doc ups your dose and you break out like mad again?!

Yoohoo, it has been my experience that each time my dose was increased I would break out a little more, but really it needs to happen that way to get everything out of your pores. That's the whole reason for upping your dose really....the current dose may not be doing enough to push acne out of your pores, so you need to take more. I guess it's all about finding that "magic number" so that your skin will clear and stay clear for a good long time!

Oh yeah, and I think I mentioned I got the waxy look within my first two weeks and it went away somewhere around week 4. So, it doesn't stay around forever! :D

Thanks Gamarwil for the reply. I don't feel like I look as waxy today.....wonder why?!

Okay, that makes sense about the higher dose causing more crap to come out. That's what it is, right? Crap!? :confused:

I want to rid my face of this crap, so this is what needs to be done. I am curious to talk to my derm at the next appt. and see what her plan is for me. I am going to Hawaii in Feb. and would love it if I wasn't on tane then. I know I'll have to sunblock like mad regardless, but we're going with friends and I would just rather not have to deal with this and taking a pill, and watching my alcohol intake, etc..... But I guess I think at least by Feb. I can be clear.

In the perfect world I'd be mostly clear by Christmas so I don't cringe everytime I see a camera!

I bought Eucerin for Sensitive Skin yesterday. SPF30. Giving it a shot today to see how it works. Thus far it doesn't seem greasy. I was using Hawaiian Tropics Oil Free for Faces 30 Spf and I was happy with that, but sometimes is stung the corners of my eyes (before tane even). But I liked the Hawaiian tropic stuff because it left a nice matte finish.....

Well as always anxious to see what the next day brings.

Okay 6th pill went down the hatch tonight.

No huge changes. My lips are dry but not cracking. But my daughters lips are really dry so I think it is partly because of the climate, they were dry before I started.

I thought the texture on my face changed today. Didn't look smooth, looked bumpier, but wasn't real bumps. Not sure how to explain it, just that it didn't look like me......

Thus far I'm liking the Eucerin for Sensitive Skin SPF 30. Seems to be working good.

I feel like I can feel a few zits under the skin, but they aren't surfacing. Wonder if they ever will. One I have felt for 2 days. Normally once I can feel them it usually surfaces pretty quick after!

Nose is dry, but the humidifier in the bedroom is helping tremendously.

That's about it. Not too exciting. Which is okay, I'd be happy if I could be one of the lucky ones who skips the breakout.....guess I'm kind of hoping that the Retin A and Antibiotics I was on prior to Tane would have gotten rid of some of the underground crap.

I keep having friends who want to go out for drinks or lunch or something. I dread making a date and then getting some major breakout that I'd rather lock myself in a closet! Acne can leave a person so anti social. Sad isn't it?!

Hey, I am roughly where you are too!

I am about finished day 3 now.

I have had absolutely no side effects or even effects in general yet...

I weigh around 87 kg's and doc has me on 40 mg's for the first month...

It's weird though since I have read many others' logs who are starting at 60 or 80 mg and are a fair bit smaller than I. How much are all starting at?

Anyways, good luck on your course!

Hey, I am roughly where you are too!

I am about finished day 3 now.

I have had absolutely no side effects or even effects in general yet...

I weigh around 87 kg's and doc has me on 40 mg's for the first month...

It's weird though since I have read many others' logs who are starting at 60 or 80 mg and are a fair bit smaller than I. How much are all starting at?

Anyways, good luck on your course!

hi jg,

I've been following your log too! Okay, I suck at metric conversion....are you any good at it? How many lbs is 87 kgs? I am 135 lbs. and started on 40 mgs.

I started to get a bloody nose last night. Not a full blown bloody nose, but fresh blood when I blew my nose. But like I've said before, Colorado is a very dry climate.

I am looking waxy again. Seems like I had a day off of the waxy look. Saw a little bit of flaky-ness on my lips today....they have been chapped since before I started, but nothing unbearable, but I think I'll die or cry if I leave for an extended period of time without my lip stuff. I have my dh in training to make sure I have lip stuff with me everytime we leave the house.

I have to say that since I started Tane I am obsessing less about my skin. My dh has noticed this too. He's being really supportive. Reminding me to wear sunscreen, etc.

Eeeek! It is still hard not to pick. I really don't have any inflamed pimples. I was getting a mild cystic like one on my chin. I could see a small white dot, and I couldn't help but pick it! It didn't take a lot of squeezing and came right out and there is no sign of a pimple. Of course it was pretty much under the skin, so there was no sign of one before I picked it.

How did you pickers learn to NOT pick while on Tane?!

Also Day 6 I thought I'd share my routine....not completely stable yet, but a work in progress, definitely open to suggestions of any kind!!

a.m.

Wash with Cetaphil (however today I used Aquaglycolic which I believe will be too harsh pretty soon, but my face isn't sensitive at all............yet)

Moisturize/Sunscreen with either Hawaiian Tropics Oil Free For Faces SPF 30 OR Eucerin for Sensitive Skin SPF 30 (like both of these very much!)

Make-up....Revlon Colorstay Oil Free (this isn't my favorite, but it hasn't caused me any breakouts since I've started)

p.m.

Wash with Cetaphil, but I recently ordered Aquanil and want to try this as well.....but I've heard Cetaphil nor Aquanil is good at removing sunscreen....so I think I'll use an oil first....I have used with Success Grapeseed Oil and have heard Jojoba is good for acne prone skin on *most* people. So I figure I could remove makeup and sunscreen first with an oil and then wash with Aquanil or Cetaphil.

I have done a little spot treating this week, but only because my skin is not sensitive........yet, so I figure it can't do any harm.

Then I put on a nice lather of Emu Oil.....love this stuff!!!!

Vitamins:

Flax Seed Oil

Vit. E.

Biotin (don't want to lose my hair, and hoping this will HELP!)

Panthonic Acid when I remember.....

For my lips, I have bought about 5 different kinds of lip balms and have them placed throughout the house! My favorite for many years is something called Natural Ice. And then I am putting Aquaphor on at night, I don't like the feel of that during the day, but can tolerate it at night. I am curious about trying Mary Kay's Satin Lips, as I've heard good things in some journals here.....I guess it sloughs off the dead skin. I know I LOVE Mary Kay's Satin Hands which exfoliates my hands to an awesome feel!!!

Oh, I also bought Neutrogena T-gel. Doesn't leave your hair smelling good AT ALL, but I think it will help with future itchy-ness and dry scalp...... I plan to only use this 2-3 times a week.

I must drink more water!!!!!! This has been an issue for me for a long time as is, and now I really need to kick it up a notch. I try to put a bottle in the car for everywhere I go. I'm the type of person that if the water is there I'll drink it, but often times I'm too lazy to go get it myself!

Well, I hope I'm not just rambling to myself, and hope I have offered someone a helpful hint of what I'm doing. I'll keep you posted on what I decide doesn't work or does work! I shouldn't post so often, it does make time go slower when I draw attention to the fact that I'm only at day 6!!!! But I also think this will help me to be able to go back and read how far I've come.

As for now, my face tonight...a bit waxy, almost greasy....which wasn't really an issue for me....a few flaky old pimples, no bumps (miracle???), red marks seem a little more pronounced, but I can cover them up with makeup to an extent!

Wow, I must be bored or lonely....I'm writing a NOVEL! Dh is studying for school, so I'm just entertaining myself, at your expense! HA!

More updates later! :cool:

Today marks the 1 week mark. I'll take my 7th pill tonight with dinner.

I have to say, for all of you who are considering Accutane, thus far the 1st week has not been bad. A few mild headaches, but not sure if they were even Tane related....I get headaches a lot anyway. Lips are drier, and inside my nose is drier, but thus far it is nothing I can't handle.

I haven't broken out terribly. A few pimples here and there, but no MONSTERS (yet).

:)

Hey, Yoohoo!

Thanks for your comments in my journal! Glad to see that someone is reading and getting something out of my writing!

Anyway, you might not experience a huge breakout because you said you were using tretinoin before starting 'tane. I used Retin-A Micro .1% right up to the very day I started 'tane and although I did experience purging in the beginning, it was not the horrifically bad breakout that I thought it was going to be. I just got a few pimples on my temples, forehead, and the underside of my jaw; all areas that I usually don't have a problem with. The sides of my chin--where I have had the biggest issues with--seemed to clear up from day one.

Anyway, tomorrow will be my two-month mark on 40 mg/day, but then I'll be starting 60 mg/day. I weigh approx 50 kg, so this dosage is slightly above average for my body weight, but obviously there are others here who weigh less and are on 100 mg/day, so I think I'll be ok.

My first month's side effects seemed to come and go rapidly and none were too bothersome to cause me to worry much. Then, last month, I had a bit of a scare with heart palpitations, but when I went to the doctor's he determined that my palpitations were more than likely caused by my stressing about school.

Anyway, the point is that at first 'taning seems slow going and that you're never going to see any progress, but you will. And just try not to obsess over any side effects you might have because you could exacerbate them unintentionally.

I sincerely hope this increase in dosage doesn't break me out tons or cause any more side effects, but all I can do is go for it and hope for the best!

Keep journaling and let us all know how you're doing! Good luck!

Carys,

I am so thankful for all of the accutane journal enteries I have to read here. I have read a lot, so I have a hard time tracking people, but I do remember reading about your heart palpitations. So glad for you that it wasn't the tane....sorry about the school stress though.....I know how stressful that can be.

I am hoping you're right about the retin a helping with the initial breakout. I used it up to my last day and (shhhh) I have been spot treating with it a little bit. I figure this is okay if my skin isn't sensitive. Not sure it is helping, I haven't done that much spot treating, I don't have a lot of bumps, more red marks right now.

I am feeling so much better right now because I'm not obsessing! Okay, a little bit, but nothing like I was a month ago when I was in tears all the time.

I smiled today because I have my hair pulled back....something I haven't done in public in a long time. My skin is far from where I'd like it to be, but it is much better than it was a month ago! So I feel like my confidence is coming back!

Do you know what 50 kg tranfers to in lbs? I stink at metric conversion. I'm about 135 lbs. I'll be following your progress as you step it up to 60 mg. Good luck, hopefully it will continue to go just as smoothly.

Does your face feel sensitive???