Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I was wondering if anyone has used either Baking Soda and/or Vinegar to exfoliate with. Im too poor to go buy glycolic acid. So i wanted to know how ones experience went with baking soda or vinegar. i know vinegar has many acids that can "unglue" lipids that are the top layer of skin, but what about baking soda? i thought maybe the tiny salt granules would physically help loosen the dead layers of skin similar to one of the exfoliation brushes with the gentle brissles.

ive tried both and i have to say that baking soda does make my skin feel really smooth and soft after i use it. vinegar as well has a nice soothing effect. but i decided to just stop using it and go straight to the clear skin regimen. if you need more information on baking soda and apple cidar vinegar, do a search and you will find many results to look over. gluck.

I have not used neither one, but I have found a way to get rid of my acne, well atleast clearing it up. I put astringent on first, then i wait 5 mins and apply oxy cleaning pads....it may not seem like it works, but really, it does.~acnewithattitude~

I am looking to use baking soda/water to exfoliate shortly, can anyone help me with:

(1) Do I HAVE to neutralise with an acid (that I don't have)? What is the negative to not applying an acidic substance afterwards?

(2) Do I need to use my electric toothbrush or just leave the soda on it's own? (if so, how long for?)

(3) Should I mix the soda with either a cleanser or a gentle soap bar, or do it exclusively with water?

Thanks a lot!

Baking soda is a manual exfoliant, like a scrub or microdermabrasion, vinegar is a chemical exfoliant, like glycolic acid. It's a matter of personal preference which you use, and which your skin reacts best to. My skin handles chemical exfoliation really well -- I can use a lot of AHA (glycolic) and BHA (salicylic) acids but scrubbing aggravates breakouts. You can also use plain uncoated aspirin dissolved into aloe (or water if you have none) as a mask to exfoliate. I say just try all of them and see which you prefer.

85D - I've never used any sort of neutralizer and it's never given me any problems. I don't use baking soda regularly, just when I have flakiness from dryness or glycolic acid. It works well, and I've never had any breakouts from it. What I do is mix some with a little drop of cleanser, scrub my face with it and wash it off immediately (just like using any facical scrub), and then wash my face again with cleanser. If your skin is dry or your cleanser is harsh it might be better to mix it with water or cetaphil the first time -- I know a lot of people will say it's bad to use cleanser twice like that but it's never given me problems. I don't think you need to use your electric toothbrush because the graininess of the baking soda exfoliates on its own.

Thanks for the advice... I think i'll try sprinkling a little BS into my initial wash and then exfoliate with a basic lather like Dove (until I can get my hands on some Cetaphil in the UK!)

every other day I exfoliate using both. i mix a lil BS in w/ my cetaphil, scrub, rinse. then I put diluted ACV on my face while I wash the rest of my body, the ACV prob stays on for around 5 min or so. then, i rinse the face w/ water. don't know if oth are neccessary, but get good results.

I was wondering if anyone has used either Baking Soda and/or Vinegar to exfoliate with. Im too poor to go buy glycolic acid. So i wanted to know how ones experience went with baking soda or vinegar. i know vinegar has many acids that can "unglue" lipids that are the top layer of skin, but what about baking soda? i thought maybe the tiny salt granules would physically help loosen the dead layers of skin similar to one of the exfoliation brushes with the gentle brissles.

baking soda is better for me...the ACV, even when diluted, caused one of the worst reactions on my face. I threw it away, though, I don't doubt it is a good natural supplement when ingested for overall health. The baking soda can be drying when you do it too often. It is awlays best to exfoliate once a week with it. Make a paste with water and massage gently...and I mean, GENTLY...no harsh scrubbing. Your skin will be nice smooth afterward. It dries out any existing zits. It aids in treating, but it does not prevent zits, by no means. Actually, if abused, it can cause bad irritations and subsequent breakouts.

Well, i've been exfoliating with the electrib toothbrush for 4 days now, 3 of those with baking soda and Dove, and the results are kind of mixed.

Overall my skin seems softer and definitely less dry. The 3 or 4 "bad" spots I had (almost like scabs) are clearing visibly at a rate faster than I can remember at the same time as being much smoother. The redness seems to only gradually calm down, but hopefully that will improve if I can get some Neosporin.

The only "problem" is that I am getting numerous new small whiteheads on and around the chin area. I haven't gotten them before. They aren't very noticable, in fact, so i'm not too bothered -- I assume (and hope) they're just being brought to the surface.... they seem to stay for literally a day or two and go again. I concentrate mainly on the chin and lower-lip area when exfoliating so the whiteheads are probably a product of that.

My face does get kind of... "stiff' almost after I exfoliate with BS... maybe you could call it dry but it just feels (not by touch, just by sense) kinda stiff.. like you could open your mouth real wide and your cheeks would crack.

Anyways... going good overall, I think... i'm hoping to get both the Cetaphil AND Neosporin to fully maximize any potential clearing....