Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
PoeDriver

Is anyone else bothered more by their oily skin?

I've suffered from acne since I was about 13...but thankfully for me, my acne has always been relatively controlled and never been to the level most people would consider "serious", however I definitely have my good and bad periods.

I find what bothers me most is my excessively oily skin. I think it would be much easier for me just to deal with a few pimples as opposed to the disgusting shine that merely accentuates their appearance. None of these "shine control" products really work for longer than a couple of hours and the only thing I've found that even partially helps is to use large amounts of benzoyl peroxide.

Someone...tell me...I know the majority of people outgrow acne at some point...please tell me that because oily skin and acne often come as a nasty 2-for-1 package that this too will soon be behind me?

I actually find that in public I am strategically positioning my head so that no light shines on me, and I'm actually terrified to lean my head back to drink water at the dinnertable because I don't want my head directly exposed to overhead lights. And I despise getting my picture taken because of the totally blatant forehead shine produced by the camera flash.

My God, I feel so pathetic writing this...does anyone share my pain?

I too have quite oily skin, though I don't think as bad as you are desribing yours as. My mom tells me that it is a good thing because I won't get wrinkles as easily. I have no idea if this is true though, but I like to pretend to make the oil "positive". Hehe. lol.gif

I went on accutane and after that, my skin wasn't AS oily as it was before, but it went almost back to its normal state (not the acne, just the oil). To control it now, I wash with the Aveeno oatmeal bar, and then use Witch Hazel after washing every morning and night (just use a cotton ball, like you would with a toner). The Witch Hazel also helps with any small breakouts I might be having at the time. To me it seems to make a difference, but at the end of the day, I still do have a little slickness to my face, but nothing horrible. Have you tried using those oil-blotching pad things that come in the little packets? Those used to be my best friend. Some of them even have a powder that will transfer to your face as you wipe the oil off. Cool stuff.

I actually find that in public I am strategically positioning my head so that no light shines on me, and I'm actually terrified to lean my head back to drink water at the dinnertable because I don't want my head directly exposed to overhead lights. And I despise getting my picture taken because of the totally blatant forehead shine produced by the camera flash.

Guest pokerbugg

use oil blotting sheets...clean & clear makes one

One time I walked into a bank and the girl at the counter turned to her working and said is my face oily????

felt like shit knowing that she looked at me then was like omg does my face look like that....

I have tried oil-blotting sheets...my only beef with them is they don't last very long. I really wish there was something that would just eliminate it entirely (however I know this isn't exactly possible...so).

And I've heard of OC8...does anyone know if they sell it in Canada? When I went to the website you could only do a zip code search leading me to believe its purely a US product...anyone have any idea?

And that sounds terrible, David. Thankfully I've never had anyone comment about my oilyness. It makes me want to think I just worry too much and no one else really notices it, but I'm well aware that's just wishful thinking on my behalf.

Grrr...I think what frustrates me most is I've read in numerous places that the amount of oil your skin secretes is determined by genetics, yet neither of my parents ever had oily skin or acne in their lives, my brother's face is perfectly clear and oil-free, and none of my relatives have anything wrong with their skin at all. I probably got stuck with some recessive gene I had like a 2% chance of getting...GRRRRRR.

OMG..... yes I'm very bothered by my oily skin every single week, every single day, every single hour, every single minute, every single second.

I just frigging hate the oily skin... I would buy the medication to reduce your oil glands in a second if they actually sell it without doctor prescription.

Hey! Try clinac OC. It is an over the counter product but you have to go to the pharmacy and ask for it. Don't know why they do this and it is a little pricey, but it helps. Plus, biore makes a moisturizer that controls oil. So do most companies. I would definitly do some research and try something you think you might like.

Hehe...I actually use the Biore moisturizer...

In the morning I use a shine control cleanser, an exfoliating wash, a deep-clean astringent, some 5% BP, and the moisturizer, and right when I'm done my skin looks fabulous and completely oil-free, it just doesn't stay that way. sad.gif

I think I'll definitely ask about that product, though.

Poe, this is really off-topic, but -

I LOVE YOUR ICON.

I heart Heathers. Nothing is more fun (and funny!) when teen love gets homicidal.

My skin used to be really oily all over (not since I've been on doxycycline a few months ago though for some reason) but now its usually only really oily on my nose and cheek area to the side of my nose. I have to wipe it every like hour and a half. I hate it and am always worrying if people notice it when they're talking to me.

Thing is though, my face doesnt really get that oily when I'm home and comfortable. Maybe being relaxed has something to do with it? When I'm at school though, my pores are dripping.

Also, Im trying not using bp on my nose and the area adjacent to it (not like I get pimples there anyway) because I figure the drying effect of the bp is only causing me to produce more oil.

Well Red, consider yourself lucky. I'd much rather have to deal with an oily nose than with an oily forehead which I find much more stressful.

They do say that an over-secretion of oil can be a result of stress, so it makes sense that when you're at home relaxing it may be better than when you're at school which is generally a very stressful environment.

Also, don't make the same mistake I did with the BP. I too stopped applying BP after I did some reading on oily skin and found out that harsh products that dry out your skin cause rapid oil flow. Benzoyl peroxide helps plenty, and it reduces shine as well, I find. I use PanOxyl 5% BP which has an alcohol base specially for oily skin...it really made my face dry and red at first but now its a godsend. The problem is still there, though. Just not as bad.

I find what bothers me most is my excessively oily skin. I think it would be much easier for me just to deal with a few pimples as opposed to the disgusting shine that merely accentuates their appearance. None of these "shine control" products really work for longer than a couple of hours and the only thing I've found that even partially helps is to use large amounts of benzoyl peroxide.

Don't use large amounts of BP. Consider using OIL BLOTTERS? Don't use those with powder though. Clean and Clear has it. I use this brand's (Hakugen), the green one

user posted image

hey same here!i wouldnt mind acne with a non-oily face and with an oily face it just seems to worsen it,and yar,my face gets oily after like 1-2 hr after i wash my face.i feel so depressed sometimes over my oily face.for me,i use oil blotters all the time and my oil can fill up the whole sheet of the sheet!fcuk.

I've suffered from acne since I was about 13...but thankfully for me, my acne has always been relatively controlled and never been to the level most people would consider "serious", however I definitely have my good and bad periods.

Someone...tell me...I know the majority of people outgrow acne at some point...please tell me that because oily skin and acne often come as a nasty 2-for-1 package that this too will soon be behind me?

omg, i totally and completely share your pain.

this may sound silly on an acne forum but sometimes i would rather have pimples than my OILY skin. i sort of have skin like yours. I don't really break out, don't really have acne, maybe one or two pimples around my period, nothing serious or too bad but my OILY SKIN, goshhhh!!

at least with pimples, it doesn't get progressively worse as the day wears on, you know? i love when i first wash my fash in the morning, put on some makeup and just look so fresh and matte and clean! and then sure enough an hour or two later i look like a messy, gross grease pit. and it just gets worse and worse. i always have to blot, reapply powder, etcetc. and i usually get that feeling around midday like, "omg, i need to wash my face RIGHT NOW, ickk" it totally sucks.

my friends, who are perfectly matte and clear (assholes, haha) are always telling me that oil is actually good for you in the long run. no wrinkles in the future. well whatever. also, there are people who actually like the dewy, shiny look and wear makeup specifically catered to give them a "glow". hm :think:

if you ever find a solution, let us oily folks know!!

also, i currently use 5% bp also (DDF 5% bp w/ tea tree oil) but only at night. do you apply bp in the morning and does that help with oil during the day?

-gg

I have a solution for oily skin that worked for me. It was suggested by Paula Begouin (cosmetics cop, was seen on the today show, abc, and cbs, website: www.paulaschoice.com) that spreading a thin layer of Phillips Milk of Magnesia over entire face before makeup willl keep your makeup matte for 7-8 hrs! Mine stays matte for 5-6 hours because I have very oily skin and thats without blotting! Plus it doesnt overdry skin. The main ingredient in MOM is magnesium hydroxide that draws out oil from the skin. What I do is apply a thin coat to my face, let dry, apply another, then apply my makeup. Checkout the makeup forum for more info.

Guest Tinky

Hey cruella, I bought a small bottle of MOM!!! I will try it tonight as a

mask and tomorrow before makeup. I hope my oilslick of a forehead

dries up!!!

Guest *Clara

I fucking hate my oily skin. Aloe vera helps it half the day though.

I have oily skin too. VERY oily skin. everytime I look at my face in the mirror or in pics, the first thing IInotice is the shininess on my cheeks, my forehead, and my t-zone.. basically everywhere! in a whole day, I would have to use like 3/4 oil-absorbing sheets. so you're not alone...

:/

My skin sounds exaclty like yours, my face is an oil slick by the end of the day and when i wake up! I have the perfect solution for you (if ur a girl)! The pill will fix and control oily skin and hair and breakouts! Just ask ur doctor for the right one to control acne. It worked wonders for me but i had to go off it because it had side effects for me (made me depressed) but it's different for every person and it's pretty cheap! It should start working within a couple of weeks...good luck!

My acnes pretty calm now thankfully, but the oily skin is pretty damn annoying and bothers me more not that its just that making my skin look crap. All I can do is carry blotting paper around with me til they make some med that controls your sebaceous glands

Guest pokerbugg

yup those oil blotting sheets are AMAZING i cant live w/o em...love em...they control the shine a-ton

Yup I too suffer from the oily skin problem and have researched the subject a lot.

Low dose accutane for a long period of time is the only surefire solution but is rather extreme.

Oil blotting papers, clinac OC etc are just postponing a problem, I have done this for 7 years plus and it ends up being a pain in the ass.

I am now going to try Ketsugo gel which I have heard good things about.

I know about the traditional causes of excess oil mainly revolving around hormones but I do seem to notice a lot of people who dont look after their skin have less oil problems. I wonder if the cleansing cycle twice a day (and I now use cetaphil to be as gentle as I can be!) exascebates oil production as the skin compensates, or whether dietary factors such as too many carbohydrates (insulin etc) are involved.

Any ideas would be interesting.

i find using those blotting sheets, they only last like 1 hour max before the oil starts coming bak even more!!

i dun worry bout my oily skin nemore cause frankly i dun really give a fuck, and i think because im chinese we rare more prone to oily skin :S