Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
jordan12

Monounsatured fat

Has anyone done any experimenting with consuming large amounts of monounsatured fats? I'm just remembering how it raises HDL and lowers LDL...and based on the idea that I know that anabolic steroids cause acne...and I believe they are cholesterol-based or transported or something (God I have no idea what I'm talking about, lol)...I just have a hunch that monounsatured fats _may_ (as Bryan would put it) help by cleaning out the hormones in your system a little or something.

Most acne can be attributed to hormonal changes in some way...so I think the key is figuring out a way to get to that underlying problem somehow. It seems like there has to be a way to stop them from causing whatever changes that create acne.

I just now learning what those fats are.... I notice that most cereals and basic foods have them labeled on the Nitrition Guide.

I read in an e-book (can't remember the title) that the author recommends essential fatty acids (EFA's) as a way to control acne.

Unfortunately I take so many supplements I can't isolate whether or not EFA are effective by themselves.

I read in an e-book (can't remember the title) that the author recommends essential fatty acids (EFA's) as a way to control acne.

How about the non-essential fatty acids? Do THOSE help?

Out of all the hundreds (or thousands?) of fatty acids in existence, only THREE (3) of them are "essential". What about all those others? ;)

Bryan

Essetial fatty acids are those that arent produced in the body and therefore the body needs a current intake of them. Non essential are those that the body can synthesise by itself, making the need for intake or supplementation less of an issue

Essetial fatty acids are those that arent produced in the body and therefore the body needs a current intake of them. Non essential are those that the body can synthesise by itself, making the need for intake or supplementation less of an issue

Actually, the 'essential fatty acids' aren't essential- the body is able to make them from non essential fatty acids.

However the conversion process is very inefficient.

Taking extra EFAs does seem to help prevent heart attacks and possibly diabetes; and generally seem to improve health.

There are some potential problems though; EFAs are polyunsaturated, and there is some evidence that they may promote cancer due to oxidation reactions occuring in the body. That problem can probably be minimised with antioxidants.

Actually, the 'essential fatty acids' aren't essential- the body is able to make them from non essential fatty acids.

However the conversion process is very inefficient.

That's an interesting claim, and one which I don't recall hearing before.

In any event, even assuming for the moment that the body CAN synthesize a few molecules of those specific fatty acids, it still can't do it in sufficient quantities to meet its needs. They almost certainly ARE "essential" in the sense that we must have dietary supplies of them to survive.

Bryan