Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
falnhart

Linkoping University Researchers Recreate Tissue..

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/medicalnew...30196&nfid=crss

Tissue recreated with balls of gelatin

Category: Cosmetic Medicine/Plastic Surgery News

Article Date: 06 Sep 2005

Repairing major damage to the derma is a difficult problem facing plastic surgeons. But now researchers at Linkoping University have hit upon a highly promising method. By injecting tiny balls of gelatin, they have managed to get various types of cells to grow spontaneously in the areas where new tissue needs to be generated.

Instead of moving skin from other parts of the body or operating in prostheses of non-biological material, it is becoming more and more common for plastic surgeons to cultivate the patient's own cells to make repairs. In burn injuries, for example, derma cells are cultivated from epithelium cells and then grow onto the surface of the wound.

But to go deeper, other methods are called for. The research team at Linköping University has studied various ways to cultivate the cell type needed in a matrix, a “scaffolding,� and then to apply it to the body. The best results were attained using porous spheres of micro format (a few hundredths of a millimeter in diameter) consisting of gelatin_-a substance that occurs naturally in the human body. (Images are available)

“These spheres offer multiple advantages. Enormous numbers of cells can be cultivated in the gelatin, and the material can also be injected in the patient,� says Fredrik Huss, a plastic surgeon in training who describes the method in his doctoral dissertation to be defended on September 2.

All types of cells attempted grew extremely well in the gelatin balls: skin cells, connecting tissue cells, cartilage cells, early stages of fat cells, and mammary gland cells. Experiments with transplanting in mice also yielded favorable results. Injection under the skin of spheres containing connecting tissue cells and fat cells led to good regeneration of tissue. But it is not even necessary to cultivate the cells in advance. Empty balls were injected into the upper arm of healthy volunteers. For comparison, saline solution and Resylane, a commonly used anti-wrinkle substance, were injected. The result was excellent regeneration of tissue inside the spheres, which were then degraded and disappeared, and there were no signs of rejection. On the other hand, Restylane injection produced no new generation of tissue.

“Our findings open up tremendous potential for the repair of soft body parts. It is a simpler and more dependable method than the fat transplants carried out today,� says Fredrik Huss, who, together with Elof Eriksson, is participating in an international research conference on tissue engineering TERM 2005, arranged by Linkoping University. For the program, see liu.se/forskning/filer/program-term2.pdf.

Reference link:

liu.se

SOURCE: http://www.alphagalileo.org

Tissue recreated with balls of gelatin

This sounds amazing! Thanks so much for sharing the article with us, falnhart. Something to look forward to maybe... I wish it was available now. smile.gif

This does sound promising. The university is apparently in Sweden. Any Swedes here? Maybe they are looking for volunteers which is still scary. Something tells me it will be many years before FDA approves this if it is safe. Who knows maybe Canada will be faster?

I agree about the FDA. Though if there's a breakthrough in Sweden, I'm sure anyone that can would fly there in an instant, and those that can't will work their ass off to make it happen. BTW, what breed is that little dog?

This does sound promising.  The university is apparently in Sweden.  Any Swedes here?  Maybe they are looking for volunteers which is still scary.  Something tells me it will be many years before FDA approves this if it is safe.  Who knows maybe Canada will be faster?

I agree about the FDA.  Though if there's a breakthrough in Sweden, I'm sure anyone that can would fly there in an instant, and those that can't will work their ass off to make it happen.  BTW, what breed is that little dog? 

This does sound promising.  The university is apparently in Sweden.  Any Swedes here?  Maybe they are looking for volunteers which is still scary.  Something tells me it will be many years before FDA approves this if it is safe.  Who knows maybe Canada will be faster?

sounds very good, gives me hope for the future. I was looking for long lasting fillers cuz it stinks if you have to go every few months/ years to refill areas and being obsessed about skin yer whole life.

Luckily im in europe and I hope it'll be available in one or two years smile.gif

praise scientists!

isnt this that cultured dermis that the Asian chick was getting done? She said they implant your own cells into the spots and they fill it in.