Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
collegecandy

Accutane Side Effects

I just started Accutane about a week ago, and I have been noticing some side effects. I'm on 40 mgs a day. I have been getting heartburn (mildly) and also a stomach ache like an hour after I eat. My stomach makes all these weird noises almost like I am gasey but I'm not. I wonder if this is normal? I want to stay on this really bad, so I will try to live with the side effects.

I just started Accutane about a week ago, and I have been noticing some side effects. I'm on 40 mgs a day. I have been getting heartburn (mildly) and also a stomach ache like an hour after I eat. My stomach makes all these weird noises almost like I am gasey but I'm not. I wonder if this is normal? I want to stay on this really bad, so I will try to live with the side effects.

Do you take the pill with milk? And/or food? If so, then it's probably not just irritation from an empty stomach and I think it's something you should talk to your dermatologist about. It's probably nothing, but let him/her tell you that. It's really important to let the doctor know anything that's out of the ordinary.

How much are u eating with the pill? you shouldnt be having heartburn with this drug i dont think.... anyways... Just make sure your quantities are substancial either take the pill whilst eating, or directly after eating dont wait.

Another question might b, and i know its not the best question... but do u normally eat lots? or do u eat tiny meals? i know skinny girls tend to have a problem with getting more food into them and sometimes when they start to eat more when they usually dont it can cause heartburn. (talking from a biological perspective)... just a question.

How much are u eating with the pill? you shouldnt be having heartburn with this drug i dont think.... anyways... Just make sure your quantities are substancial either take the pill whilst eating, or directly after eating dont wait.

Another question might b, and i know its not the best question... but do u normally eat lots? or do u eat tiny meals? i know skinny girls tend to have a problem with getting more food into them and sometimes when they start to eat more when they usually dont it can cause heartburn. (talking from a biological perspective)... just a question.

Does anyone have this problem???

It's not essential to take it with milk but it can help. Accutane bonds with lipids so it works better if you take it with something fatty, which milk is (unless you are drinking skim I guess). Also, I've just noticed my stomach is less likely to get irritated if I use milk. Its more personal preference than anything, and another compelling reason for me to be drinking chocolate milk daily biggrin.gif

I do normally eat but I am a tiny person so I don't eat a whole lot. More like little meals throughout the day. But I do take it with my meal. I am going to try it with meal and milk. THe heartburn didn't happen yesterday so we will see today.

You are supposed to take it with food or milk to ease the caustic effect of this stuff - it's especially bad if it lodges in the esophagus and the pill coating disintegrates there, exposing your esophagus directly to isotretinoin. If it's giving you heatburn, make sure you take it with a full meal, and consider taking it with a fish oil supplement - that will give it some good fats to bind to to increase your absorption. Don't lie down for about an hour after you take it.

You are supposed to take it with food or milk to ease the caustic effect of this stuff - it's especially bad if it lodges in the esophagus and the pill coating disintegrates there, exposing your esophagus directly to isotretinoin.  If it's giving you heatburn, make sure you take it with a full meal, and consider taking it with a fish oil supplement - that will give it some good fats to bind to to increase your absorption.  Don't lie down for about an hour after you take it.

Flax seed oil would work as well, or you could take both. Fish oil is usually cheaper and easier to find is all.

Oh, Okay thanks! I just bought 2 big bottle of Flax Seed Oil because it was 50% off. Glad it will work just as well! I thought they were similar.

OMGAWD

what is it about people... when they start accutane, they think everything in their body will fail. Granted, it is a potentially harmful drug, let your body work some things out. A little gas or stomach cramps is definitely manageable. I have many minor side effects which in others eyes may be taken seriously. Accutane has been very easy for me, and life goes on.

OMGAWD

what is it about people... when they start accutane, they think everything in their body will fail. Granted, it is a potentially harmful drug, let your body work some things out. A little gas or stomach cramps is definitely manageable. I have many minor side effects which in others eyes may be taken seriously. Accutane has been very easy for me, and life goes on.

You gotta point. I feel better. EXCEPT I have a hard time swallowing pills so sometimes I keep it in my mouth until it gets kinda softer so I can swallow it. Sometimes a little of the liquid leaks out. I hope I'm not damaging my throat or anything! I still take it with food after too.

You are supposed to take it with food or milk to ease the caustic effect of this stuff - it's especially bad if it lodges in the esophagus and the pill coating disintegrates there, exposing your esophagus directly to isotretinoin. If it's giving you heatburn, make sure you take it with a full meal, and consider taking it with a fish oil supplement - that will give it some good fats to bind to to increase your absorption. Don't lie down for about an hour after you take it.

Would Flax Seed OIl work as well as Fish Oil? Why one over the other? Anyone know?

Read my post at the bottom about the liquid getting in my throat--please.

Accutane bloats me if I take it late at night.. Always take it with food so it absorbs correctly. Drink plenty of water too. As for heartburn, I was experiancing that too which i never usally get heartburn but a tums or rolaid will work. Gasy might because of what you are eating, check your fiber :)

esophagus and the pill coating disintegrates there, exposing your esophagus directly to isotretinoin

I've never heard of vitamin A destroying the esophagus, do you have anymore information on this? beentheredonethat? esophagus is pretty resilliant also... however stomach acids do burn through hence belemics have a problem with burnt esophagus tracts. Anyways Isotretinoin... hmm because they do put this stuff on the skin in perscribed creams also but i never heard it burning before? anyways something interesting to know if u can post a credible link or 2 be appreciated.

I'm just going off the patient information sheet that says

Swallow your Accutane capsules with a full glass of liquid. This will help prevent the medication inside the capsule from irritating the lining of your esophagus (connection between mouth and stomach). For the same reason, do not chew or suck on the capsule.

I'm just going off the patient information sheet that says

Swallow your Accutane capsules with a full glass of liquid. This will help prevent the medication inside the capsule from irritating the lining of your esophagus (connection between mouth and stomach). For the same reason, do not chew or suck on the capsule.

Here's a link to a patient info sheet http://www.rxlist.com/cgi/generic/isotret_pi.htm

And it should be noted that Isotretinoin (Accutane) is not the same substance as Vitamin A. They are chemically similar but distinct.

My doctor said its fine to do that.

Crap, are you not supposed to drink the pill down with water then after you have taken food?

I usually eat my food, put the pill in my mouth and then swallow it with water? have i been doing it wrong :S

Crap, are you not supposed to drink the pill down with water then after you have taken food?

I usually eat my food, put the pill in my mouth and then swallow it with water? have i been doing it wrong :S

No that's fine. Take it either before you eat or right after. I usually eat, take the pill, and eat the rest. I hate swallowing pills!!! 4 more months of this....

I usually just eat my food and then take the pill with a glass of milk. I've never had heartburn from it.