Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Link83

List of supplements to combat hairloss.

Okay, here it is people. I've created a list (mainly for males) to help combat hairloss whilst on accutane.

Now we can debate all day and night about this, but I believe that accutane hairloss does increase the rate of MPB to a certain degree.

Why have I come to this ASSUMPTION?

Myself and the guys I know who have been on accutane ALL receded in the same way their mothers fathers had (again, based on unproven averages).

Now once starting the tane, the hairloss was more rapid, but only in the places they were already losing hair due to MPB.

Now a DHT inhibitor such as proscar (1.25 mg ED) WON'T stop the hairloss in its tracks, but it will more than likely slow it down to a certain degree.

Now the problem with starting a DHT inhibitor is that you're more than likely going to shed at the start of your course, this is perfectly normal with most people and generally subsides in 2months.

When used in conjuction with a hair stimulator such as rogaine (minoxodil) great results can be seen over a certain time, generally over a year.

Other products which will help you in your fight to save your hair whilst on tane:

Head and shoulders shampoo or nizoral 2% Every 2/3days.

EOD, use something light such as johnsons no more tears baby shampoo/conditioner with moisturiser.

Fish oil capsules/liquid/tablets taken every day (dosage depends on MG per serve, see label)

A good vitamin b complex.

Milk Thistle. Again, although not proven, scientists are beginning to believe that strain on the liver may be a contributing factor to hairloss.

Now the finasteride is relatively cheap if you buy the 5mg tablets as you can just use a pill cutter to cut them into quarters.

The minoxodil is the only expensive product out of the above.

Now I'm not going to make a guarantee that this will stop your hairloss altogether, but I will make a guarantee that it will work to some degree, and in years of continuing such a regime, it will only get better.

I've used all of the above - the minoxodil for the last 2 years. I was shedding like crazy after testicular cancer and with the above products combined, after 6months, I could literally PULL at my hair and not a strand would fall out.

Seeing as i'm now on the tane, I won't lie, I'm suffering from hairloss, but it's no way near as bad as the posts i've been reading by some of the other members.

I'm lucky to shed 10 hairs in the shower, but we can't have everything the way we want it.

I'd like other members of the board to try the above and see how it works for you, i'm curious to hear how it goes.

All the best

I was thinking about getting minoxidil for some time, is it available pretty much everywhere ?

I guess dimoxinil in The Simpsons is a spoof of minoxidil...loved that episode smile.gif

Hey what do you think of this as a DHT inhibitor..its kind of unclear in its description but I think it is:

http://www.cvs.com/CVSApp/cvs/gateway/deta...x=19^SEARCH.y=8

Oh yeah, and I have a bottle 3/4s full of TGel. Would that work in with all of this stuff? Its coal tar so its kinda different from everything else mentioned. What I was wondering about it is maybe TGel is too harsh for the scalp?

I was thinking about getting minoxidil for some time, is it available pretty much everywhere ?

I guess dimoxinil in The Simpsons is a spoof of minoxidil...loved that episode smile.gif

Hey what do you think of this as a DHT inhibitor..its kind of unclear in its description but I think it is:

http://www.cvs.com/CVSApp/cvs/gateway/deta...x=19^SEARCH.y=8

Oh yeah, and I have a bottle 3/4s full of TGel. Would that work in with all of this stuff? Its coal tar so its kinda different from everything else mentioned. What I was wondering about it is maybe TGel is too harsh for the scalp?

I don't know how to bump this up....so I'm doing my own bump! Ha! Anyway, with all the hair loss questions, I thought this could be helpful to some! :)

I was on Accutane for 5 months between April and August. And all throughout the course I was using Regaine Extra Strength 5% Minoxidil to combat my hairloss, not from Accutane but genetic. I must say Regaine is by far the best product in the market I am only 24 so I cant talk about other products just because I havent used them. But Thanks to regaine I am getting almost all my hair back slowly after about 9 months into it. Regaine claim 3/5 Men will get their hair back in 12 months so fingures crossed :)