Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Keithr23

Stop scaring people away from Accutane

ok I have seen so much negative stuff on accutane. This is crappy for a number of reasons. Most importantly it might scare off a kid from using this drug and getting clearer skin and more confidence.

I dont know who knows this but most of the side effects from Accutane have come from mixing them with the wrong antibiotics. That means that without using one of the cyclines that u will be fine.

The suicide thing is all bull too. Theres a reason why kids committ suicide more than kids not on Accutane, its because they were depressed as hell about having bad acne. There was a senators kid that commited suicide on Accutane which started the whole ball of lies rolling. The senator was one of the people pushing for the SMART program and a bunch of bans on the drug.

Stop scaring people away from the most amazing thing to ever happen to acne sufferers please.

my dermo has been using Accutane on patients for years and has yet to take anyone off of it for any reason period. He put three out of his four kids on it if that tells u how confident he is about it.

Well, people need to be aware of side effects. You're right though. It's safe, and as long as you respect it and take caution as with any drug and keep in touch with your derm about things you'll be fine.

I've had bad experiences with bad side effects from accutane on a high dosage. You're right, it doesn't directly cause depression. It causes depression indirectly. Severe acne paired with bad side effects such as lack of energy can cause someone to begin feeling useless or like their whole being is falling apart. Thankfully a lower dose fixed the problem.

I don't know about your derm, but I've heard of several people that had to be taken off of it/had their dose changed. But it's not that big of a deal. It shouldn't be something you're scared of. Just go into it prepared for what's to come.

i think that people should also take into consideration that the majority of the people on acne.org have tried product after product (to include accutane)and nothing has worked. SO the likelihood of you getting negative results about aproduct is pretty HIGH. If you are looking for positive reviews you might want to ask your derm. I'm sure he/sure has before and after pics of accutane users. Otherwise.. don't take it to the heart when someone posts a negative review. Cause once again, IT ALL DEPENDS ON THE USER!!

haha dude, you are an idiot. no one is scaring anyone away from accutane, they are telling them how it worked for them and what side effects you can expect. not everyone gets the same side effects as everyone else but i definilty know people that are on zoloft afterwards, it fucked up my stomach (still better than having acne) but its a bigtime drug and someone that has some minor amount of acne should not expose thier body or mind to it if not necessary. the only reason you hear bad things is because..well those things can happen, and you dont want people that dont need accutane taking it.

accutane is harmless for almost everyone, the severe sideeffects (suicide) are rarer then getting struck by lightening..

The difference is that dry lips, dry skin, lessening of acne, etc are known effects which show up in controlled studies at a known rate. Depression is not. In fact, the last study designed to test the Accutane = depression theory actually came to the opposite conclusion, that the improvement in acne that Accutane patients experience results in reduced rates of depression.

if anything, accutane made me less depressed! it was like a new me was being born. i finally had clear skin for the first time in like 9 years.

i was depressed when it wore off though. sad.gif

but i think one more time on it would do the trick

the depression thing is overexaggerated for sure, and suicide has nothing to do with accutane. but accutane does mess with your emotions, people say they get mood swings which is pretty much like random blasts of depression. but its nothing compared to curing acne.

the real problem is that it can mess with your liver, cuase your brain to swell, that kind of stuff so you dont want some moderate acne person to just decide to use it cause it can only help. i'd say the most depressing thing is the fact that you get a clear skin for a while, lifes great, and then it comes back and you have to remember how much acne sucks.

I could be walking on the street and get killed by a car, should this stop me from going out ? Everything you do in life has some degree of risk

it does suck when it comes back though.....but i heard that there are people who need to go on it a few times for it to work

ive been on it twice and i plan on going on it for a third and final time...hopefully this will be it cause i cant take it anymore.

I was on Accutane 2 years ago. Just accutane, no antibiotics. I can tell you that the drug fucked me up emotionally and mentally. I would cry several times a day for reasons I couldn't figure out. I felt like I was in a shell and my "real self" couldn't get out. I hated social places, not because of acne. I honestly didn't care about my acne besides for the pain.

I stopped caring about things I used to love like music, guitar, and my girlfriend. I was extremely depressed and often thought of what people would do if I killed my self. Needless to say, within a month of getting done with my treatment, I started feeling normal again and am now totally normal. I think it was worth it though, as I still haven't had my acne really come back in 2 years besides for when I do not wash my face.

I dont know who knows this but most of the side effects from Accutane have come from mixing them with the wrong antibiotics.  That means that without using one of the cyclines that u will be fine.

accutane should be prescribed to severe cases, when all other normal methods have been exhausted. Thats naturally how it goes with any other medicine, you don't go straight to the most potent treatment

accutane should be prescribed to severe cases, when all other normal methods have been exhausted. Thats naturally how it goes with any other medicine, you don't go straight to the most potent treatment

and studies have shown accutane has a correlation with depression, so its actually advised to not take accutane if you have depression, though someone with severe acne probably is depressed.

I was recommended accutane a long time ago by my private derm cuz he said my face was kind severe but the nhs derm said no, even though he agreed my face was severe. And I have all these scars now, just check my gallery. In that sense, I am so angry i was never even allowed to try out accutane because it seems like so many people with mild acne are able to get it now.

the choice is yours. the severe side effects do occur, as it did to me. And i'm sure it messed up a lot of people's lives. But then again it's saved a million lives. In the end, it is you who have to decide. How is this so hard? eusa_angel.gif

Acne is acne man, who are you to say that because I only have mild acne, I'm not allowed to take the only thing that could possibly take it away.

I ain't gunna settle for having 10 or so zits on my face everyday for the rest of my life.

Well, I've tried BP, Retin A, Differin, Erythromycin, Minocin, and diet amongst other useless crap for the past 6 years, and I am still fighting off the zits to this day.

I failed my end of year exams, I nearly dropped outa uni, I missed the lads holiday to spain, I spent the summer living in isolation on my own, I lost contact with my friends.... etc etc etc...

Acne is everthing to me.

I see the doctor tomorrow, where I will be demanding accutane once and for all, while I am still young (19) and while I have my future in tact.

If my derm refuses, well, it's either self medicate or jump off a bridge.

Wish me luck.

Well, I've tried BP, Retin A, Differin, Erythromycin, Minocin, and diet amongst other useless crap for the past 6 years, and I am still fighting off the zits to this day.

I failed my end of year exams, I nearly dropped outa uni, I missed the lads holiday to spain, I spent the summer living in isolation on my own, I lost contact with my friends.... etc etc etc...

Acne is everthing to me.

I see the doctor tomorrow, where I will be demanding accutane once and for all, while I am still young (19) and while I have my future in tact.

If my derm refuses, well, it's either self medicate or jump off a bridge.

Wish me luck.

Acne started to consume my life, and then accutane saved it. Now, my grades are back to normal, im not missing school, and im back into sports. Before, I would worry about it 24/7. I would pretty much starve myself on acne diets, losing several pounds of muscle. I couldnt talk to girls, or meet new people. My confidence was shot. Then I went on accutane, and everything went back to normal just like that. All the other medications were a waste of time. Like Seasofink said, if one derm says no, see another, thats what I did. All the side effects are exaggerated. Sorry if I sound like a dork going on about it, but its just that good.