Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hey

I was having a shower today and I was just curious whether how I treat my hair on my head would be affecting my acne. A year or so ago I used to shampoo and condition my hair every single day, then I found out that your not supposed to... Just twice a week or so. Since then (although I'm not sure it's directly related, I've been doing alot of other things) my acne has improved. But maybe like because I stripped my hair of it's natural oil so often my sebum production also slightly increased. I don't know much about the scientific side of acne but yeah, just want to see what other peoples habits are. Just copy paste this template and fill in your response:

How often do you *wet* your hair a week?

How often do you *shampoo + condition* your hair a week?

How long do you spend in the shower?

Do you like hot or cold showers?

Do you swim alot in chrlorine pools?

How severe is your acne?

I'm sorry if this has been done before tongue.gif but yes, I'm just curious and haven't seen anyone mention anything like this before.

Thanks for your time! Jemburula

I wash it every day. If I didn't my hair would be disgustingly greasy. I can't stand it greasy, so I wash it every day without fail. That's the only time it gets wet. I've tried not washing it every day, but I just can't stand not to. I've never noticed any affect on my breakouts.

Every day. Without the conditioner, my hair is too fly away and just generally awful looking.

Around ten minutes.

Hot. I can't stand lukewarm or cold water.

No. I'm not much of a swimmer.

How severe is your acne?

Mild to moderate - mild most days, moderate others

I did stop washing my hair in the shower, because I didn't want the shampoo hitting my chest and shoulders. I suspected my mild breakouts were aggravated by it. I was also using Pantene Pro V and had to switch back to Herbal Essences (which is what I've used now for years) because the Pantene didn't agree with my skin. The Herbal Essence doesn't seem to do anything, I never get acne around my hair line and most of the time my hair is pulled back or tucked behind my ears. My hair is very long, down my back.

But I still won't wash my hair in the shower. ninja.gif

Guest FearlessBunnyLove

I wet my hair just about every day. Sometimes I'll skip a day.

I shampoo my hair about every 2nd or 3rd day. Pretty much as I've read you should shampoo your hair when it gets itchy and nasty. I condition my hair every time I wet it which is almost every day. I've also read that every time you wet your hair you should condition. I have curly hair so it gets bad if I don't wet and condition it every day.

About 10 minutes.

Lukewarm. I'm very picky about temperature and sensitive to hot water.

I haven't swam in about 4 years. Man I miss it.

How severe is your acne?

I have moderate acne. I've found that it's not connected to the hair products I use or the makeup I wear. I went about a year with no makeup or hair products other then shampoo and conditioner. I switched those a few times too with no difference. I also wore my hair up and out of my face 24/7.

Everyday, 2 times. Morning + Night. I feel kinda better in the day if I take morning showers.

I shampoo my hair everyday 2 times M+N. I don't condition *I'm a guy* I think I going to shampoo every other 2 or 3 days to see what happens. Also be sure not to let the shampoo + conditioner touch your face. It causes breakouts.

Let's see I think about 15minutes. It takes me 5 minutes to cleanse my face.

I'll say hot. It feels good, sometimes I stay in till it's all steamy in there like a steam room. I try not to stay in the steam too long because it uncloggs your pores, and I think it leads to breakouts. Even though it uncloggs pores

I haven't been in a swimming pool in like 2 years. *Before I got acne*

How severe is your acne?

Very mild I guess, I just cover some red marks with zinc cream. That's about it. You cant tell if I have acne from 10 feet.

I wash it everyday bc it just looks crazy if I don't. I don't have remotely greasy hair, actually normal to dry scalp, but my hair is super fluffy and has crazy amounts of volume when it dries on its own or when I wake up in the morning so I have to wet it to get it to calm down and behave.

Every day. I don't need to but I enjoy the experience. I used to shampoo once every week or two and condition everyday, but I haven't been doing that recently.

Around 15 minutes. I like to shower

Hot. Sometimes I'll try to finish with cold, but not often.

I used to swim several hours everyday (I did swimming and waterpolo in college) and it made no difference to my acne and actually gave me chlorine burn and dry, irritated skin.

How severe is your acne?

Untreated it would be moderate, right now though very mild.

I'm not as careful as I should be with my shampoos and conditioners, especially since it is not uncommon for some things to obviously break me out, which probably means that there are some things that irritate my skin but I don't notice it bc I think it is how my skin normally is bc I have always (for the last several years) used pretty much the same shampoos and conditioners. I'm thinking about switching to a brand that is marketed as non-irritating like freederm or whatever. Dunno for sure. I heat style everyday I work, so I dont want to damage or dry out my hair.

Once a day.

Once a day usually with Tresemme shampoos and conditioners because they do not seem to have a lot of fragrance.

Around 10-15 minutes.

Warm on my face, a little hotter for the rest of the shower.

No. The last time my face got splashed with chlorinated water I got some breakouts on that side.

How severe is your acne?

I am almost 100% clear since March 2005, prior to had mild to moderate acne with some cysts.

I try to avoid all styling products because they can cause breakouts along the hairline, which can spread to other parts of my face. I also wear my hair up off my face almost every day.

How often do you *wet* your hair a week? all most never, only when I get a hair cut and already took a shower

How often do you *shampoo + condition* your hair a week? about ever other day

How long do you spend in the shower? about 10-15 min.

Do you like hot or cold showers? hot

Do you swim alot in chrlorine pools? no

How severe is your acne? mild (now, it was a little worse last week, but I've been trying to not get my face in any tap water, it might be helping)